PK-652 : North American FJ-4B Fury 1/48

3 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

I've never built any of the 1/48 scale kits, so looking forward to following this one.

I did build the FW 190 a few years ago, basic but not a bad kit.

resized_5ea7e46f-9e53-4806-b2dd-41635668The one on the left :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Haha 4

• Marklo changed the title to PK-652 : North American FJ-4B Fury 1/48

9a18e782-fbc9-4359-aa99-a9c7e58f3bf9.jpeConsidering this scheme.

A question for the forum. Best way to do Dayglo red. I do have a very old tinlet of Compucolour dayglo red but I’m reluctant to airbrush it as I only use acrylics these days. So decal film ? or gosling that what’s the best acrylic Dayglo red paint?

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

Great choice Marklo and its good to see that we already have all three original Matchbox designed 1/48 kits (Skyraider, Fury & Seasprite) as confirmed builds within this GB.  

Applying Dayglo paint is always best to apply on a good white or yellow solid base coat. This paint tends to be rather translucent so needs quite a few thin layers before you will obtain a bright and solid finish.  

I've tried Gunze's Lacquer paints as well as Humbrol's #209 and they both behaved rather similar. The Humbrol enamel took a while to dry but good results can be achieved with either paint. 

A big warning.... neither paint are great for minor touch-ups, so be sure to mask carefully and get it right first time round. 

Cheers, welcome aboard and best of luck.. Dave  

• Thanks 1

I’ve decided to bite the bullet on this one and I’ve ordered up some Humbrol 209!

I can print the lettering and the kit national markings will do. Just need to figure out what that thing under the wing is ( I think it may be an in flight refuelling rig) and scratch build one.

resized_ffa4d404-a90f-446d-9d7d-c731ca95

Should make  a good companion for my other matchbox 1/48 build :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Marklo said:

I can print the lettering and the kit national markings will do. Just need to figure out what that thing under the wing is ( I think it may be an in flight refuelling rig) and scratch build one

I was confused for a second seeing a bright yellow Focke wulf and reading in flight refueling probe. Yes the FJ’s had an inflight probe sticking out from the port wing. 

• Thanks 1

7f069dbb-0771-41f2-8305-cfcf1b753057.jpeResult! Finally found some info on the refuelling system. I see a bit of woodwork in the near future :) Although maybe I should have a rummage through the spares box first.

resized_b268ea9c-0b83-4cd6-95f5-7caffcfaSeeing as how I have two of these those fuel tanks (?) on the middle row might be close enough to modify.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

Interesting read. It sounds like a few minor issues in the detail, some of which I’ll fix as I go ( the fences etc) and some of which I’ll live with ( the wheels) I think I’ll go download some scale plans as a starter.  

I’m no river counter but I also like my models to look right too and of course this is a tribute to Matchbox so that may also dictate the direction I take the model :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

Interesting read. It sounds like a few minor issues in the detail, some of which I’ll fix as I go ( the fences etc) and some of which I’ll live with ( the wheels) I think I’ll go download some scale plans as a starter.  

I’m no river counter but I also like my models to look right too and of course this is a tribute to Matchbox so that may also dictate the direction I take the model :) 

Pretty much my take too. I prefer to find out about a subject as thoroughly as I can then decide what's worth attention and what isn't. I've got this very kit but no canopy and one sprue missing. The mighty bay refunded me when the seller ignored my issues and I may get another and join in too. @JOCKNEY is a bit of a rivet counter though so I'll need to be careful....

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

Pretty much my take too. I prefer to find out about a subject as thoroughly as I can then decide what's worth attention and what isn't. I've got this very kit but no canopy and one sprue missing. The mighty bay refunded me when the seller ignored my issues and I may get another and join in too. @JOCKNEY is a bit of a rivet counter though so I'll need to be careful....

Oh yes as a serial builder of Unicraft kits I'm an absolute stickler for originality  :rofl2:

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Oh yes as a serial builder of Unicraft kits I'm an absolute stickler for originality  :rofl2:

Come on you love their product as you can whittle the lumps to the correct shape of, well anything, actually :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I agree, bad kits make good modellers.

Or to paraphrase Steve Jobs [in modelling] the journey is the reward.

I have a 1/48 SE5a in my stash it’s an Eduards everything in the box kit, it is perfectly engineered it has PE and a copious decal sheet: when I took it home and went through the kit parts and the instructions it was the most depressing moment of my recent modelling experience… 

That same day I had bought a mr Craft Sopwith camel which the assistant tried to talk me out of because you had to do a lot to get a decent model out of it…

I know which one I prefer :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Marklo said:

I agree, bad kits make good modellers.

How very true Marklo and we will all witness this by the bucket loads within this Classic kit GB! 

Roll on Saturday. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

we will all witness this by the bucket loads within this Classic kit GB! 

To be honest Airfix baggies and Mathbox kits were my childhood and I’m in to the GB for that in fact I’m tempted to get a series  I kit and build it and decal it with no paint just like I would have as a kid :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Haha 1

Nice scratch work there Marklo. There's usually a lot of corrective thinking going on with these builds, most of it in frustration, however they do make you smile when the idea finally comes off. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

On 12/27/2021 at 12:44 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

Applying Dayglo paint is always best to apply on a good white or yellow solid base coat. This paint tends to be rather translucent so needs quite a few thin layers before you will obtain a bright and solid finish.  

What he said @Marklo.  I've done a few with day-glo and it it is all about the undercoat.  It solves many issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1