PK-18 Grumman Hellcat ++Completed++

Great to see you taking part in another Matchbox GB John. We will look forward to seeing a few photos and watching this Hellcat come to life. 

Cheers, welcome aboard and best of luck.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

This is a bit of a strange one. Pics below:

Hellcat1

Hellcat2

Hellcat3

The box assures me that it's a 1986 Matchbox kit, but it isn't. Both sprues are moulded in light grey, like a Revell produced kit. It's not unheard of to have later sprues put into earlier boxes, but that's not all. The plastic has a strange, slightly rough texture that's completely different to any Matchbox-produced or Matchbox-derived kit I've seen before. I assume this is actually a Chinese-produced kit. Nothing that suggests it won't build well enough though, so looking forward to getting a start.

John  

• Like 5

On 12/26/2021 at 12:29 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Hi John

Lovely to see a hellcat joining the GB, I built one during the recent Single Type GB, have you decided on a colour scheme yet ?

Cheers Pat

Well, I've always operated on the assumption that Hellcats are blue, so I'm going to move a bit away from my comfort zone here and do this one:

Hellcat5

Yes, I know that isn't a Matchbox kit 😀

The last time we were at the Scottish Nationals in Perth (sobering to realise that was in 2019) my son picked up the Eduard 2-in-1 boxing of Royal Navy Hellcats. He's built one as an Operation Tungsten aircraft, and gave me the rest. I'm going to build the Eduard kit as a MkII, so I'll do this one as a MkI.

Should be fun.

May well change!

John 

• Like 5

• John changed the title to PK-18 Grumman Hellcat

I've had a closer look at this kit. 

What I thought was a rough surface texture turns out to be what looks like an aerosol primer sprayed across both sprues. It might need a bit of a polish down but it shouldn't be a problem. 

The underlying plastic is dark grey for the fuselage sprue and light grey for the wings. 

I'm reasonably sure my convalescence build back in the day was 2 shades of green. 

John 

• Like 1

On 03/01/2022 at 11:30, John said:

I've had a closer look at this kit. 

What I thought was a rough surface texture turns out to be what looks like an aerosol primer sprayed across both sprues. It might need a bit of a polish down but it shouldn't be a problem. 

The underlying plastic is dark grey for the fuselage sprue and light grey for the wings. 

I'm reasonably sure my convalescence build back in the day was 2 shades of green. 

John 

The colour issue caught my eye so I rushed off to the loft to check my own copy of the kit - it is in the earlier Matchbox boxing and is indeed the two colours of green. However, I found an additional two sprues of wings in even darker green, brown even! What is going on here?? Suddenly, I've got a lot of spares!

wJKZ0RM.jpg

• Like 8

Righty ho then, let's get going. 

Wings first. The engineering leaves a gap on the top surface and on this example at least, it leaves quite a gap:

Hellcat7

My favourite method of filling long thin gaps is to let in a bit of Microstrip:

Hellcat8

Much better! I'll go on with painting the other parts. Apart from the markings this build will be OOB.

That's the plan. It may well change 😀

John

• Like 5

A nice quick build of the airframe:

Hellcat9

You can see the filled joins in the upper wing. The wings aren't a particularly good fit, the joining face of the wings seems to have a slight curve. This needed a bit of filling but it's all on the underside.

Hellcat10

First thin coat of Humbrol 27 Sea Grey as a primer. Doesn't half show up the depth of the Matchbox panel lines.

John

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...

I've been throwing some paint at the 'Cat.

Hellcat12

Hellcat11

It needs a bit of a tidy up. Colours are Humbrol 27 Sea Grey for the...Sea Grey and Humbrol 108 RFC Green for the Olive Drab. The Sky is Humbrol 23 and the insides are 151 Interior Green.

Once I'm happy with it I'll add the decals. 

John

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

I was going to use some of the decals from my Eduard Hellcat for this build, but naw:

Hellcat13

Oot the box 😀

As usual, old Humbrol square bottle Decal Cote that's gentle on the old sheets and they work fine.

John

• Like 10

• 1 month later...

Just about there:

Hellcat14

Apologies for the stark photo. I left my Lumix at work and I've been relying on my Samsung Galaxy which, while a good camera, isn't in the same league.

The model needs aerial and prop finished and a few paint touch-ups then we'll call it done.

Good fun, but there have been a lot of much better Hellcat kits since the middle 1970s.

John

• Like 9