PK-18 Grumman Hellcat ++Completed++

• 4 weeks later...
  • John changed the title to PK-18 Grumman Hellcat ++Completed++

Well done John, that Hellcat looks so good in FAA colours. You’ve certainly nailed that finish, although a Matchbox stand may have been more appropriate! 😉

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave

• Haha 1

That was a very nice result. It looked to be a relatively trouble-free build (except the wings), and I am glad that you used the supplied markings, it looks very good in that scheme.

Ray

• Thanks 1

Nice model - nicely finished.

JW867/W116 was part of 1844 Squadron, 5th Naval Fighter Wing, HMS Indomitable April /May 1945.  On 21st May ‘45, the Aircraft was flown as part of Operation Iceberg XI by a distant cousin of mine SLt Bill Atkinson.  He was credited with a shared Myrt that day which he did not shoot down as Bill Foster boosted in front of him and hacked it down just as he was going to pull the trigger....

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Well done John, that Hellcat looks so good in FAA colours. You’ve certainly nailed that finish, although a Matchbox stand may have been more appropriate! 😉

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave

It won't actually sit on a Matchbox stand, it wants to tip to the side. 

The wee lip on the Airfix stand gives it a bit more stability. 

I never had much luck with Matchbox stands - an interesting idea that didn't work particularly well. 

John 

8 hours ago, John said:

I never had much luck with Matchbox stands - an interesting idea that didn't work particularly well. 

John 

Fair enough, but that’s quite interesting. I’ve never used a stand myself however I wonder if they were just a little bit small for some of these larger Purple range kits? The Hellcat, Thunderbolt and Corsair are fairly big aircraft, so perhaps the next size stand up would have been better for these examples? 
Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 1

On 25/04/2022 at 18:58, John said:

John 

Excellent build, John. I’ve always liked  the look of a Hellcat as a beefed up version of the Wildcat, but without the wobbly undercarriage. Your build looks smart in the FAA scheme. I agree with you about the Matchbox stands - I put a big blob of blue tax on the small one for the two Spitfires and they will not stay put, even though I filled in the slot in the fuselage as much as poss. Anyway, Matchbox builds are for flying round the room! (Only the ones with wings, of course)

• Thanks 1