PK-306: M.G. TC Sports +++ Finished +++

Here we are, five wire wheels!

AVvXsEgNnE0SoN4sBoBd_ZkXoYNlZb9UmjvLE9wP

As 1/32 wire wheels go, I don't think they're too bad and as @Six97s has suggested, you could get a finer result by removing the base lacquer from the wheels before painting them.  Unfortunately, the vinyl tyres are very shiny so I will experiment with the sprue to see whether they will take a matt varnish.

I used standard Alclad Aluminium for the silver, which I think looks OK as a representation of the original painted finish.  It should contrast nicely with the polished Chrome that I'll be using for the 'spinners', if that's what they're now called?  I sure my dad used to call them 'knock-off wheel nuts' back in the day!

Of course, rather than sticking with the Matchbox wheels it is perfectly possible to ditch them and do your own thing.   Here's an example of what can be done with a Matchbox car kit :worthy: @Brandy

Cheers

• Like 11

5 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I’m liking that very much. Almost tempted to fly to Bonny Scotland and sit in a 1:1 scale one. Do you think Pat makes Brrrm Brrm noises when he tinkers away at it? 

5 hours ago, CliffB said:

I'm thinking he might use stronger language at times...

Hi Dave

There are lots of MGTC's in Australia,  I've got the email addresses of local clubs if you do fancy a ride in one that actually goes !

You are quite right Cliff, especially when smoke was coming out from behind the dashboard :swear:

Great job on the wheels

Cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's good news and it's bad news here.  The good news is that I've now got all the parts prepped and primed.  The bad news is that there's no longer any multi-coloured plastic to enjoy!

AVvXsEgrVEv7ONzZRwJw3bAyOyxHPK21nN3_DNHK

The photo shows most of the large parts, but there's a similar number of small bits which are now precariously balanced on the ends of cocktail sticks etc. ready for painting.  I'm mostly building OOB, but have made a few changes/additions to more accurately reflect the current appearance of JPH 562.

AVvXsEjvftmCckuCidwt_IqUek_SnF7qCQ9utJD0

These are:

• a rear view mirror.
  • a four-spoke steering wheel (originally from a 4.5 litre Bentley).
  • a second rear lamp.
  • a couple number plates (just to make it easier for me to paint and decal them).

I'm looking forward now to getting some paint on.  Here's a taster :eat:

AVvXsEhNu4TV2X7AzgJIPnpunR7e46lWavxSscCf

Cheers

• Like 9

The latest update - a completed engine...

AVvXsEh_Ap1sXki178x3Do7oty9rG6UjZvA0XKNi

The colours match those on the restored example that I'm modelling, rather than those originally used by MG :winkgrin:

Cheers

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CliffB said:

The latest update - a completed engine...

AVvXsEh_Ap1sXki178x3Do7oty9rG6UjZvA0XKNi

The colours match those on the restored example that I'm modelling, rather than those originally used by MG :winkgrin:

Cheers

Thank goodness for that, I was going for a crimson sort of colour for the block  :) 

Looking good Cliff :) 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

A lovely WIP photograph. It's all picture perfect and well on its way to being another grand build. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave.  I'm particularly enjoying this one.

Obviously, this is mainly because it's a Matchbox kit :winkgrin:, but it's also the only thing on my desk at the moment and I've got no time pressure to complete.  I'm going to try to replicate this winning formula for the rest of the year - just one kit per month and one at a time.  Let's see how that goes....

Meanwhile, here's another update photo.

AVvXsEiIPB4AgNpWqK2PJ5zFqRO-2E5OQg3dDSis

I'm pleased to have got some green on.  Matchbox suggest Humbrol 'Coal Black' for the black bits.  I don't have any of that, so I've used Revell 'Anthracite' instead.  

That's fuel for thought.

I've also produced some decals for the number plates.  The decals are nice and sharp - it's just my photo that's blurry!

The round things are a possibility for the headlights.  I'm missing the clear sprue for this kit so I'll be cutting out headlamp lenses from acetate sheet.  These may look a bit plain, so I thought these decals might help to convey some of the internal structure that's present on the real thing.  It's an experiment really.

Dinah Might is destined for a mate's B-29, although she would look quite fetching on the MG too :analintruder:

Cheers

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Looks superb Cliff, I might have to commission you for a pair of number plates for mine when I get started, yours look the business. 

The headlight internals are a great idea, I look forward to seeing how they come out.

Cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Looks superb Cliff, I might have to commission you for a pair of number plates for mine when I get started, yours look the business. 

The headlight internals are a great idea, I look forward to seeing how they come out.

Cheers Pat 

Thanks Pat.

No problem sending you some number plates - just PM me with your address and reg. no. :thumbsup2:.  I should add that the font I'm using is not 100% correct.  I keep meaning to track down something better, but somehow never get round to it!

Unfortunately, the headlights didn't go well.  What I printed was too fine to be visible and the decal film made the lenses look foggy.  It was worth a try though ;)

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And here we are finished :)

AVvXsEgbvjwSbEMqQZ-CeTKef_NZbPqYwgsqNsfM

It's been a great little kit to build, with no particular vices.  The running gear does seem quite fragile in places, but despite my ham-fistedness nothing broke.

At the start of this thread, I did say that this would be my only Matchbox entry but, surprise surprise, I've changed my mind!  There'll be more to follow.

In the meantime, thank you once again to all who supported this build and especially to Dave and Pat for their outstanding commitment to this most excellent Group Build.

Cheers

• Like 21
  • Thanks 5

• CliffB changed the title to PK-306: M.G. TC Sports +++ Finished +++

What can I say Cliff,

I might be ever so slightly biased but, it looks amazing, congratulations 

:partytime:

I've actually started on mine now, if it turns out half as good as yours I'll be delighted.

cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A couple of things Cliff....

1. Firstly, that MG is just drop dead gorgeous and I'm sure when all these great builds are completed you would have helped to inspire many more Matchbox kit car purchases. 

2. I'm not surprised you are going back for another look. This GB is so addictive, I'm hoping Revell's management take a good look here and decide to re-release many more of Matchbox excellent back catalogue. 

Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Thank you @johnlambert @IanC @JOCKNEY @TonyW @psdavidson @stevej60 and @Rabbit Leader  for your kind comments :thumbsup2:

The car is significantly smaller than the other 1/32s in my cabinet and its cute looks definitely add to its appeal.  

I've got a couple of its relatives sitting in my stash.  I think I'll move them towards the front of the pile!

AVvXsEiAuBx9ZfCpkNJvsQwi07qr_q5_INR3PbOk

Cheers

• Like 7

Really nice Cliff :) 

I've finished the Lotus 97t and have had my weekend playing steam trains as the wife calls it 🤣

Need to crack on with mine now and hope it turns out as nice as yours :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/29/2022 at 2:58 PM, Ray S said:

What a cracking build. It looks very crisp and clean. It is a fabulous colour combo too.

Thanks Ray :thumbsup2:.  As I understand it, the three other MGs being built in the GB will all be different colours so we should have quite a nice set :coolio:

On 1/30/2022 at 5:21 PM, Redstaff said:

Really nice Cliff :) 

I've finished the Lotus 97t and have had my weekend playing steam trains as the wife calls it 🤣

Need to crack on with mine now and hope it turns out as nice as yours :) 

Thank you Ian :thumbsup2:.  I enjoyed watching your Lotus cross the finish line and am looking forward to seeing your MG too!

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1