PK-80 Jagdpanther - FINISHED

Hello everyone. 

I shall be starting my first ever group build with this wee beastie. Sadly, I only have a modern Revell re-box but one advantage is the tracks appear softer and more useable than Matchbox's ancient shiny tracks. No Roy Huxley artwork either, so I hope you won't mind that I've reproduced the original here as well - all the inspiration I needed in 1970-something when I first built one of these. 😀  I shall be modifying it slightly to better reflect a late-model Jagdpanther, and will add some Milicast crew figures. I may also slightly enlarge the rear of the base to give him a bit more room.

So, all set and raring to go...   

spacer.png

spacer.png

This photo may have been the inspiration for the diorama base:

spacer.png

• Like 15

Hi Ian

Delighted that you have chosen this GB to be your first one. 

They are very addictive so be careful,  you will be scouring the interweb in no time looking to add to the stash for forcoming GBs or hopefully extra builds in this one !

The Matchbox armour series are all classics so it's great that you have got the ball rolling with our first, best of luck :like:

Cheers Pat 

• Like 3

Just echoing Pat’s words, we are extremely humbled you have chosen this of all GB’s to be your very first. A few years back, I too was all enthused about getting on board and taking part and chose the previous Matchbox II GB to break my duck. At the time I was struggling to finish off models, however the encouragement I received was more than I needed to help me get over the line. It’s great that Revell have been kind enough to reissue a number of Matchbox kits, so it’s never a shame to see these still being built up. It might come in a Revell logo box, however the goodies inside are all Matchbox. 

Cheers, welcome aboard and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Jagdpanther takes shape...  I've scraped off the crude representations of the tool racks on the hull sides as these were often removed and the tools themselves mounted on the engine deck and rear hull, especially on late model JPs.  I shall mount the tube for the gun cleaning rods on the rear deck as well.  I've also drilled out the barrel, opened up the hole for the gunner's sight and modified the hull machine gun ball mount to better represent the real thing. 

It already looks a mean beast, I think!

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

I built one of these as a kid and have a couple of these in the “stash” so will be pulling up a chair and following your build. 

Also have been following the rebuild of this real one and hope to get up to Cairns one day and see it in the flesh si to speak

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Rob S said:

I built one of these as a kid and have a couple of these in the “stash” so will be pulling up a chair and following your build. 

Also have been following the rebuild of this real one and hope to get up to Cairns one day and see it in the flesh si to speak

Thanks for the link Rob. Interesting!

• Like 1

A small update - the tracks are on and hopefully I've achieved some proper sag once the super glue has cured and the timber removed! 

spacer.png

I'm having a go at scratching the side skirt mountings and front mudguards. The skirts themselves were often torn off or removed and so I won't be adding them. Well, as long as I can get the tracks to stay down I won't... 😀 

spacer.png

• Like 7

Ian, I'm hoping your track sag gluing method works well for you. I'll need every tip I can find should I ever venture down the Matchbox AFV route. 

Cheers and looking good.. Dave 

• Like 1

Construction of the Jagdpanther is almost complete. I've tried to recreate a late model 'G2' version so have chopped a few things about a bit. The mudguards aren't quite right - a vague representation really. I added a few things from the spares box - the resin and wire tow cable and the 'Flammvernichter' exhaust mufflers. A jack block still needs adding - maybe. As you can see I've also extended the base so its back end doesn't stick out so much!

I've not settled on a paint scheme yet but I may go for one of those fancy stripey ones applied to the Hannover MNH-built JPs.   

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9

Hi Ianc, I really like what you are doing. The modifications to the machinegun ballmount change the face of the JP immediately and for the better. The mudguards are nothing to be complained about, looking good,  just like the cleaningrod tube on the back of the enginedeck. Will you make tools and other stuff to go on the back of the vehicle and the crewcompartment? 

1 hour ago, RobertA said:

Hi Ianc, I really like what you are doing. The modifications to the machinegun ballmount change the face of the JP immediately and for the better. The mudguards are nothing to be complained about, looking good,  just like the cleaningrod tube on the back of the enginedeck. Will you make tools and other stuff to go on the back of the vehicle and the crewcompartment? 

Thanks Robert,

The jack is already moulded in place between the exhausts. And the sledgehammer on the rear deck. The shovel is missing - should be on the rear casemate? But I think I'm going to leave it as is. I'm aiming for an overall effect more than an accurate rendition. I'm glad you like the MG mount - that HAD to be changed!  😉

All the best,

Ian

• Like 1

Have to agree, your work is extremely neat and very tidy Ian and this build is also attracting the interests of your fellow co-host who has neither time nor space to add models to his bulging stash. Lovely stuff mate. 
Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've got some paint on. The tricky stripey camo is done. I just have the tracks and details to do and then a pin wash and a bit of weathering. Then the fun bit with the diorama base!

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 10

That looks just superb and very effective. The pin wash and weathering will bring all that fine detail up nicely. It actually looks a lot bigger than 1/76 scale. Love it! 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Thanks 1

The Jagdpanther is done with a pin wash, some dry-brushing and a bit of pigment weathering. Hardest part was painting the periscope lenses and the drivers vision slit. The Revell transfers were a bit oversized so I cut down the crosses and used some numbers from the spares box - thanks Airfix PzKpfw IV!  I'm now working on a commander figure from Milicast and the diorama base. I'm hoping to cover up that big gap where the tracks join using a bit of groundwork.   

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

The Jagdpanther is finished. I extended the rear of the diorama base a little and added some groundwork. The figure is by Milicast.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It was great fun doing this one and brought back many happy memories. As others have said, big thanks to Dave and Pat for organising the whole thing! 👍 

Best wishes,

Ian

• Like 13

• IanC changed the title to PK-80 Jagdpanther - FINISHED

Wow, that looks stunning Ian, great job. I remember building a couple of these when I was young, just because of the shape of the thing! Thanks for bringing back the memories!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Derek_B said:

Wow, that looks stunning Ian, great job. I remember building a couple of these when I was young, just because of the shape of the thing! Thanks for bringing back the memories!

Thanks Derek. Yes, it's an AFV which looks pretty sleek and effective even now.  I seem to remember them being popular on the school wargames club table too. 😀