*done* PK-603 V-P finally gets to build the Boeing B-17G

Here we go, a or should I say the kit I did not build as a kid; a relevant part of the Allied combined night and day bomber offensive, a mighty Boeing product. EDIT: Thus, waving the flag of three GB proposals that never made it!

2020-06-04_05-41-56

The kit supplied decal sheet had got a bit wet during the last 42 years so it's ruined. I would have used other decals anyway. I'll try to swap some pieces with something better (?) from my spares box. The chin turret and waist windows are the first to come to my mind. Anyways, this is a long expected group build and I'm happy to get started - in two weeks!

V-P

• Like 18

Nice to see you commit to this GB with the B-17G VP. Besides my almost  completed Wellington I’ve never built Matchbox’s range of WW2 era Bombers so will be keen to see how this B-17 stacks up in comparison to other such kits. I’m sure you will do a great job with this kit, so sit tight and get all your tools and references ready for what should be a bumper GB. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello V-P just out of curiosity how many B-17’s have you built ? Ive seen quite a few just in my 4.5 years here. 

Less than you'd think! I did finish two in the B-17 STGB three years ago, started the third one in the D-Day 75th anniversary GB (I rushed and nearly ruined that kit which became stalled, sat a few years waiting for a transfer to trash bin but became saved, I disassembled it as much as I could and it's now waiting for a restart...), then there's just the KUTA build that's done well recently (but it was started as a regular WIP, continued in the Strangers in Town GB, moved to They Also Serve GB iirc and still remained below the 25% rule...) and now this. So I admit I have been talking/writing a lot of B-17:s and proposed nearly half a dozen GB:s with bomber topics - but built very little compared to all that fuss :blush:

My knowledge on the subject has risen remarkably, though, and I have written some studies of certain production block B-17:s in a certain bomb group, whose museum in the UK fb group now have me as quite a regular contributor.

My B-17 stash today (1:72 unless noted):

Academy B-17G (started but disassembled)

Airfix B-17G (nearly finished in the KUTA)

3 * Airfix B-17G

Airfix B-17G (old tool)

2 * Revell B-17G

Matchbox B-17G

Hasegawa B-17G

Revell/Monogram B-17G in 1:48 scale

Matchbox, Monogram and Hasegawa kits are destined for their respective Classic GB:s. One I have planned for Bomber etc. GB. Let's see how my plans will work out. Then there's another @Col. GB for special schemes... you think I could find one subject for that one too? That leaves only  5 unplanned for anything :giggle:

• Like 6

• vppelt68 changed the title to PK-603 V-P finally gets to build the Boeing B-17G

We all love and admire your inherent intertest in all things B-17's, VP. 

Now if you ever find good details for a 91st BG Fortress coded DF-K (my very own initials) I'd be most intrigued to know for a potential and personal modelling subject. 

Cheers and thanks .. Dave 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

We all love and admire your inherent intertest in all things B-17's, VP. 

Now if you ever find good details for a 91st BG Fortress coded DF-K (my very own initials) I'd be most intrigued to know for a potential and personal modelling subject. 

Cheers and thanks .. Dave 

As soon as I read your question Dave, I knew I was going to answer your lucky... there were 6 DF-K:s from the 324th Bomb Squadron, 91st Bomb Group, probably the best pictured and documented of them all!

http://www.americanairmuseum.com/aircraft?search=df-k&type=5&airforce=&group=

The "Yankee Gal" is an OOB build of the recent tool, very nice Airfix kit. The decals you'd need are just one envelope away from you - except the nose art, of course.

Are you already signed in on the B-17 STGB 2 list? V-P

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

As soon as I read your question Dave, I knew I was going to answer your lucky... there were 6 DF-K:s from the 324th Bomb Squadron, 91st Bomb Group, probably the best pictured and documented of them all!

http://www.americanairmuseum.com/aircraft?search=df-k&type=5&airforce=&group=

Are you already signed in on the B-17 STGB 2 list? V-P

Thats awesome VP, thanks so much for the link. I don’t suppose you’ve come across AM decals for any DF-K coded B-17’s in your travels by any chance? 

Cheers and regards.. Dave 

1 minute ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Thats awesome VP, thanks so much for the link. I don’t suppose you’ve come across AM decals for any DF-K coded B-17’s in your travels by any chance? 

Cheers and regards.. Dave 

Dave, I just edited my previous post while you were writing too! I have all you need for the Yankee Gal - except the Gal herself! The first two Airfix boxings, A08017 and A08017A had decals for 'Mah Ideel', another DF- squadron plane. V-P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

I have all you need for the Yankee Gal - except the Gal herself!

The nose art is probably the hardest piece to replicate, however sounds like its all very possible which has peaked my interest. So the first Airfix boxing is all I need, would the old Hasegawa G still work or are the gun blisters in the wrong positions (not sure if this is actually a difference?).

Cheers mate.. Dave 

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

The nose art is probably the hardest piece to replicate, however sounds like its all very possible which has peaked my interest. So the first Airfix boxing is all I need, would the old Hasegawa G still work or are the gun blisters in the wrong positions (not sure if this is actually a difference?).

Cheers mate.. Dave 

Dave, both the old A Bit O' Lace and the new tool Airfix, Hasegawa, (most) Academy and MATCHBOX (!) B-17G kits provide correct waist and tail gun positions for the Yankee Gal so it's your choice, actually. The Hasegawa kit may be old, but still gives decent bang for your Aussie dollars if you find one in the 25-30€ equivalent range they sell for in here. The recent Airfix kit of course is in a league of its own, but not without room for improvements either. The other decals apart from the noseart, well, they shouldn't be a problem at all if I just get your address (or do I already have it :hmmm:).

Pat @JOCKNEY are you joining the initials game too? :giggle: 

• Haha 1

Hi V-P

Mine would be PJ-H or of course PA-T would be a bit flash !

Fortunately as you've already managed to persuade me to build "Memphis Belle" despite having 2 built B-17s already, it's unlikely there will be a B-17 with the required initials :phew:

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

Matchbox delivers a four man crew - pilot, co-pilot, engineer/top turret gunner and the tail gunner. Poor man, poor position :giggle:

2022-01-02_07-27-28

I mean, did they really want me to just glue him in somewhere back there? Apparently yes! (I won't use any of the figures anyway).

The second pic I have already posted earlier in the GB chat thread, but I'll post it again as this is "the" build thread for it. Let me represent you: B-17G-50-VE serial number 44-8175, a Lockheed Vega in Burbank built and by 1 SAG in Langley, Virginia modified Pathfinder- aircraft from the 533rd Bomb Squadron, 381st Bomb Group. At Station 167, Ridgewell (Essex) airfield she got her squadron fuselage code VP*N

- EDIT: No, she apparently didn't - very untypical to her squadron, in the pic below she has the VP* only on the fuselage and the N only in the fin -

group symbol Triangle-L and 1st Combat Bomb Wing tactical colours - red empennage and wing tips.

The picture is from Ron MacKay's book "Ridgewells Flying Fortresses", highly recommended.

2021-11-08_02-22-28

She was a proud lead ship up to her end. As a group lead she was 22.3.1945 on her 24th mission, to Feldhausen in Germany, when she was stricken from skies by a direct flak hit to engine #3, aircraft exploded, its tail broke off and it crashed killing all ten of its very experienced lead crew :sad:

C'est la guerre. V-P

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Really sad to read the end of this aircraft and crew and on its 24th mission so close to the end of hostilities. 

I'm sure this build will be a wonderful tribute to them, well done V-P.

Cheers Pat 

• Sad 1

Thanks for the historical notes behind this build VP. They are often very interesting and add to the overall build, however more often than not there’s a sad side to them which we should never forget. Their sacrifices and service should always be remembered and I am happy to play my part honouring them in model form. 
Cheers and I sense your eager excitement in making a start.. Dave 

• Like 1

Ready, set... but not yet go. A Ju 88 just must be Finnished in the Nordic GB 2 by tomorrow, before I can unleash myself into actually building this one. But while glue and paint dries on the heavy Stuka, let's take a look at the Big One from Boeing.

IMG_20220108_172651MP

Ooh the wing undersides are molded in close to Neutral Grey, while uppers and the fuselage could pass for a faded Olive Drab. And the "black parts" are also already black! Gee no wonder kids even back then loved Matchbox!

IMG_20220108_172820MP

I believe my set of instructions - one for assembly and detail painting, the other one for painting and decals - have spent 40 years being rolled tightly. I'd need tape or tacks to straighten them! The kit has whopping 15 assembly stages (Revell now has 90+ and Airfix 138!).

IMG_20220108_173928MP

I will replace or add some parts from my spares, trying to enhance some of the most obvious shortcomings of the Matchbox kit.

IMG_20220108_173946MP

Just take a look at them chin turrets - Matchbox black, Revell grey. See any difference, eh?

IMG_20220108_174657MP

Fortunately, I had already decided what plane to build. Choosing one isn't always easy! V-P

EDIT 19/1/2022: I might just as well change my subject to 44-8196. Nearly identical plane, though, so no major alterations needed in the build plan!

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

Excellent photos VP, although with all those scantly clad women decals on display you might be forgiven for thinking we are on some 'other' website!  

I'll be following on closely as you really know your B-17's and I'm in need to expand my rather low knowledge base. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Up from page 8! Nothing much to show, actually; between finishing a KUTA build and moving forward with the Hornet, I've joined the three fuselage parts per each half and started sanding everything down, the port half is still untouched. Yes, I try to get rid of all the raised panel lines and No, they won't be rescribed! I'll add the putty in the end, wherever it's needed. I chose to add the early tail gun position type. Yes, that means I will not build the Pathfinder I have described earlier. No, I won't tell you yet which my subject will be as I have two, at least two, options still open.

There's another Matchbox B-17G at Kingkit btw. 20 £ but it's missing its windshield pieces. :hmmm:Every Revell and Airfix recent tool kit comes with an optional windshield piece that could be crafted in its place. No, no, no I won't buy it. That'd cost me more than a new Airfix kit and I'm already out side my comfort zone building just one of these obsolete kits :winkgrin:. V-P  

2022-01-28_12-40-18

• Like 9

Thanks for the update V.P and I’m sure that Kingkit example won’t last long, someone will no doubt snap it up. I’m more than happy to work with raised panel lines and like you often sand them off and don’t bother re-scribing. Whilst assembling and filling in seam lines on my Panther I was watching footage of the real aircraft and they are baby bum smooth all over. That suits me fine and I’m happy to keep my kit panel line free. Obviously each subject needs to be considered on their own merits, however we are talking 72 times smaller than the real thing here aren’t we!! 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1