Emhar 1/24 Bedford dropside - FINISHED

OK I'm in! As I mentioned yesterday my sister would be sleeping in my room, which was true, but like me she's an early riser so I can actually make that early start which should increase the odds. 

Now... I've built one of the Emhar trucks in an earlier Blitz and I didn't get to finish it in time but it was close! Last time I had some issues with the paint and it was the wrecker truck with a crane on it where I lost some time. So ... I want a rematch, and this time I'll do the dropside which is simpler. I think I'll even leave the dropsides off and go for a flatbed, my last 2 builds were flatbeds as well, I kind of like having a fleet of those 🙂 

The plan is to go full speed on the chassis first and see where that takes me. Actually it's easier to build a 1/24 scale chassis then it is to build the chassis for a 1/72 IBG truck (which was another option) because the parts are bigger. I'll put it together and paint everything in 1 go which should work because that's what I always do. 

So this it the kit: 

20200825185656-72dc3adc-me.jpg

I had three of these, the Wrecker, this one and I have the tanker as well, but that will get full attention once I get to it. This one would probably have stayed in the stash forever so I figured I might as well build it now. 

• Like 6

And we're off, round 1 before breakfast. 

20211226075639-af62c800-me.jpg

A right mountain of sprues but it should all fall together quickly, these kits are well engineered. You can just see the timestamp in the right bottom corner, I'll have to switch to my black background!

• Like 4

Another hour and chassis and fuel tank done. And seeing my sister out. My two nephews are also staying here and one of them just came rolling out of bed (he's 22). I'm going to be sociable for a while now. 

20211226104010-19ff7ed5-me.jpg

• Like 2

Nephew #1 is getting a ride to the train station from my daughter, the other one (and my son, both 19) just woke up. That's early for them, they're practiced sleepers, much like @Foxbat's furry friends. 

Anyway, these guys need showers and food before they're close to being sociable, which means I can steal another hour. 

More chassis!

20211226120024-29eda1f4-me.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

It looks like I can get settled in for a bit, at least until 15:30 or so. I'm putting on some noise. 

She starts in earnest at the 4:30 mark. That is some good techno. Try it out I say, you classic rock lovers you 😉 

• Like 1

I'm signing off for a bit now... I'll probably make it back to the bench for a couple of hours tonight. 

20211226154037-e3448c2d-me.jpg

The chassis is done, wheels are done and I've started preparing the cab. I want it to be in one piece before paint. The cab itself is one piece but has some mould lines which need sanding. 

• Like 5

Back for another hour or so, after a very nice afternoon and dinner. We had an aunt of my wife over and she's a very entertaining lady. 

I'll be resuming work on the cab to get it in shape for paint tomorrow. I haven't yet decided on a colour, must check the paint stash for something that catches my eye. 

20211226204231-b6a74954-me.jpg

To balance this afternoon's techno I'm playing Mozart's Requiem KV 626. For some reason I like choral works too... 

• Like 2

I'm calling it for today. I have the cab mould line free, sanded and ready for paint and I constructed part of the load bed. 

20211226221437-efb5c9d5-me.jpg

I'm going to go with the dropsides, there's no time to convert to flatbed and besides, I did that on my last 2 builds. 

We can even do a (very) tentative dry fit.

20211226221436-fe436356-me.jpg

Total time spent today: 6 hours and 45 minutes. Not bad!

• Like 8

Gidday Jeroen, that was quick, I wouldn't know where to start with something like this.   Is it my imagination or is the wheel arch in the tray a little too far forward in that last photo? Or is it dry fitted back to front? It doesn't seem to be over the axle. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Is it my imagination or is the wheel arch in the tray a little too far forward in that last photo? Or is it dry fitted back to front? It doesn't seem to be over the axle. Regards, Jeff.

Hi Jeff, no it's not just you, good find! I hadn't noticed it myself actually. It's dry fitted back to front, but it would seem that I fitted the end parts front to back as well 🙂 

Probably should have called quits 15 minutes earlier! I'm going to have to make some corrections, obviously. Which may be a good thing, as I was thinking "flatbed" again (having resigned to "dropside"), after browsing my Bedford reference pics. So I'll have a look this afternoon and see what I can do. I still have a lot of coffee stirrers left. that would make 3 flatbed builds in a row. I keep changing my mind about it 😄

• Like 1

And we're off again! Work mojo was very, very low today so I looked forward to working on the Bedford again. 

20211227154509-cbf398a6-me.jpg

First thing I did was check the instructions for the load bed. As it turned out I only flipped it, the end parts were fine. Phew. I decided on the colour, it will be Sky Grey. I have lots of blues, reds and greens in the cabinet but not a single one in light grey. There's probably a reason for that but my paint colour range is not very extravagant at the moment, and I'll need to have some paint on by close of business today. So grey it is, I think it will work with the black semi gloss chassis. 

And I think I'll go for the wooden flatbed (again...). Right now I'm going to finish that as far as I can, and I need to build the interior after that. At that point all major components will be done and painting can start. 

• Like 3

Final round for today. These need to be cleaned up and prepared for paint, I almost forgot.

20211227190430-191bbb95-me.jpg

The load bed needs a bit of prepping as well. What you're seeing is part of the bed, there's a ledge. I'm going to glue in a piece of 1 mm card so that, with the coffee stirrers, the deck is level with that ledge. 

20211227190430-e5baa575-me.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jinxman said:

Looking forward to the paint going on - always a great transformation.

Well, it's ready for paint, so I'm going to grab a cuppa, get in the right mood, and fire up the booth!

20211227202526-617a90d0-me.jpg

• Like 2

That's it for today, I'm calling it after a lengthy spraying session. 

Now, this is kind of funny.... I've gone through all this trouble, priming it with Mr Surfacer 1500 Black, then the Sky Grey which went on well, no dust on the cab... and now it looks exactly the same as before!!

20211227222114-f48177cd-me.jpg

I needn't have painted it 😄

The radiator part will receive a coat of black but I'll probably brush paint it. 

20211227222115-f6292596-me.jpg

Maybe this will convince you that I've actually been painting 😇

20211227222115-771e8030-me.jpg

Or else surely this will. 

20211227222114-e3ba6d11-me.jpg

It's not ideal, spraying with the cab attached like this, but for me the advantage of glueing before paint is that the bond is solid and I don't have to mess with CA or scrape paint or anything. And anyway, all is fair in love and Blitz Builds! Go for the fastest option, always 🙂 

I've actually taken a few things from the Blitz Build process to my regular builds. For instance, I've learned that I don't really care about interiors. For me, it's enough that they're there, with a bit of colour etc but I'm not going all out on them. So I just assemble them as far as I can and paint everything in one go, picking out the details later as needed (or wanted). It will be as good as invisible anyway, just the hint of something is enough for me. For this build I'll paint the seats in "seat colour" but the rest will stay like this and it'll be just fine. 

I'll leave this to cure overnight, spray a clearcoat first thing before work and final assembly after. 

Total time spent now, including today's 5 hours and 45 minutes: 12 hours and 30 minutes. 

More than enough time left, but I won't be able to spend it all. 

• Like 6