Academy 1/48 Polikarpov I-16 Rata.

A quick trip to my LHS this morning secured this kit. I've been promising myself I'd get one for a while, and after reading how simple the kit is, figured it would be a good entry for a blitzbuild. All the sprues are washed, and my painting booth is set up nearby.

I'll be doing a OOB build using the Great Escape time option.

p?i=ba5bbb3ff2271d64fa8fa87c03a0e9b6

Cheers, Justin.

• Like 2

Thanks Race Addict. It was a pre-war design, developed from an earlier biplane.

p?i=a1a525d1c883a2de844b0b9084cbb9bc

I've made a bit of progress, getting a lot of parts off the sprues, cleaned up and primed. One paint scheme has a red tail, so that was a great excuse to break out the blitzbuild favourite pink Tamiya primer. 2 hours in so far, and next move is to sort out a lot of the fiddly bits so I'm not panicking later in the build.

Regards, Justin.

Progress as been a bit slow, but it's looking a bit more like a plane now. There was quite a step between the lower wing and fuselage, so I've slapped some PPP in there and hit it with the primer to guage my progress. One more small wipe will do it I think.

p?i=637cbc9118b99163b2ebcf5c3f153a9e

The thumb print will be sanded off.

I promptly picked my tools and carried on after that last pic, so let's call this one the finish for today. I'm happy enough with the lower wing joint now, so just some more assembly, painting, and decals tomorrow.

p?i=4179ae182f6a4c0293ca8d1be1f5541b

• Like 3

Sorry to say, but I've had to put this one back into it's box to be dealt with later. Paint issues, then I dropped my airbrush while cleaning it, bending the needle.

Ill let it dry, sand it back another day and repaint it.

p?i=6a4e927a62e19976874d5eebf0119204

p?i=158f5c67c9939765e2246e37979bbda2

Thanks to Enzo for hosting this, and everyone for the support, Justin.

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, JeroenS said:

Ouch! That's too bad, I hope you'll be able to deal with this at some point. 

Stuff happens. A few months in the penalty box then I'll look at it again. I'm thinking I might drag a couple of previously stalled builds out of their boxes and shuffle over to the KUTA area.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RevDWC said:

Stuff happens. A few months in the penalty box then I'll look at it again. I'm thinking I might drag a couple of previously stalled builds out of their boxes and shuffle over to the KUTA area.

I have a couple of those boxes too and was thinking the same 🙂 

• Like 1