Grumman F7F Tigercat

Gidday All, I've decided to give this Blitzenbuild GB a go, my first although I have done other GBs in the past. Usually I build model ships but I thought I'd be pushing it to do one in 24 hours so I'll do an aircraft instead. I've decided to try and scratch build a Grumman F7F Tigercat in 1/600 scale.

The Tigercat was designed as a very fast heavily armed carrier-bourne fighter, however it never operated from aircraft carriers that I'm aware of. It's main problem was directional instability when trying to land with only one engine. Due to this it failed to gain carrier qualification and hence operated from land bases only.

I've made three aircraft in this scale before, as trials for making air groups for 1/600 scale aircraft carriers I wish to make someday. These are the Grumman Wildcat (Martlet), the Supermarine Spitfire and the Vought Corsair. As the Tigercat never operated from carriers this aircraft may seem a strange choice but - I like it. 

Anyway, below is the traditional photo of 'kit parts' and 'instructions'. 😁

F7F10 parts & instr

Well, that's it for now. I plan to start tomorrow, and I stress the words "plan to". I'm a volunteer bushfire fighter and tomorrow the forecast temperature is 44 degrees C with strong NE winds - the worst combination for Perth in West Oz. I live just out of Perth in the hills, surrounded by state forest. My plans might change very abruptly - we'll see.

So until tomorrow, stay safe and regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 13

Good luck Jeff

The Jockney clan are having Christmas in Perth Scotland, where 44 degrees C can only be achieved by the Turkey spending a week in the gas oven.

It's cold, wet and windy....but enough about Mrs Jockney, happy Christmas mate !

Cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Good luck Jeff

The Jockney clan are having Christmas in Perth Scotland, where 44 degrees C can only be achieved by the Turkey spending a week in the gas oven.

It's cold, wet and windy....but enough about Mrs Jockney, happy Christmas mate !

Cheers Pat

your much better half clearly doesn't visit this site........ you're either a very brave man or one that likes to live on the edge! :chair:   :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gidday, well I've started.

F7F20 start time

The 'parts' are carefully laid out for inspection. As you can see from the computer screen, it's just gone 9am here and already 33 degrees C outside. Today's going to be a hot one. I'm listening to the 'Watermark' album by Enya.

I've cut out the wing and sanded it to give a taper towards the wing tips.

F7F30 sanding wings

I place my finger tip on the left wing then drag it from left to right while pushing down on the left wing tip. Then turn it around and do the other wing. For those wishing to pursue a life of crime this is a great way to remove your fingerprints. Well, one of them anyway, but you didn't learn it from me! 🤫 I also scraped the wing with a blade to get a bit of shape.

Progress report - the wing almost done, still the dihedral to do.

F7F50 wings almost done

And still listening to Enya.

I've then cut and shaped the fuselage. Just a lot of sanding, not really worth a photo of me doing it. Here's the fuselage done and the wing given it's dihedral.

F7F80 wings and fuselage

The wingspan is 26mm and the length of the fuselage (nose to the left) is 23mm. The wing will sit in that recess in the fuselage, which will be facing 'up'. Getting hotter outside, and I'm still listening to Enya. I'll finish my cuppa and get back to it.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 6

Gidday, it's still flamin' hot outside.

F7F100 cockpit & wings attached

As you can see, the cockpit and wings are attached, plus I've made the engines and tail. I'm going to go and have lunch while the glue dries. Oh, and it's now Pink Floyd coming from the speakers.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 9

Gidday, the temperature outside has dropped to a much more civilized 33 degrees C, downright balmy one could say. Actually it's quite pleasant outside now.

F7F110 tail and engines added

The Tigercat now has the tail and the engines added. I made a bit of an error with the tail and when I tried to correct it I stuffed it up so I had to make another tail. The cockpit could have been done a bit better, I think I should have used narrower strip. In fact the entire fuselage looks a little bit wide but I think I'll live with it as it is. Next job will be to slap some paint on. And I've decided to let You Tube select what I'll listen to for a while.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 6

Gidday, and thanks. Well I'm afraid the Tigercat won't be finished tonight - I'm waiting for paint to dry. I've got two prop discs already on shafts and most of the aircraft is painted but not the bit in the clamp. If I handle it now I'll leave finger prints on it so it'll be a quick job for tomorrow. It's now 10.45PM here so I'm calling it a day. Catch you all tomorrow.

Stay safe, and regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Gidday All, thanks for your interest and responses. Well, it's a new day here but still less than 24hrs since I started. And here she is The Grumman F7F Tigercat, done.

F7F120 done

The stbd wing still needs the paint to dry. I've got another photo for the gallery.

The weather is supposed to be cooler today, the forecast is for a mere 40 degrees C, and currently we don't have the NE winds of yesterday. Music wise it's the Finnish group 'Nightwish' entertaining me right now. 

Thank you all for following this build, and thanks to SWMBO for giving me a clear run at it yesterday. Stay safe, and regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 8

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Only just spotted this after you linked it from your USS Mullany WIP.

Great work in a day and a great music playlist.  According to my son who saw them at Download last weekend, the Hu were outstanding!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Very nice Jeff. Airfix should be so lucky to sign a contract with you if there´s any chance they might invest into future Airfix boat kits or aftermarket parts for ships in 1/600. 🙌

• Thanks 1

Gidday, and thanks guys. I'm afraid that making after-market stuff for Airfix ships wouldn't be much of a growth industry. I'd love for them to re-release many of their older kits and add some new ships in the 1/600 scale but I don't think it's going to happen soon, if at all. Oh well  .    .    .

Regards, Jeff.