Andy's Austin ***Finished***

Tiily was a name derived from Utility and applied to a wide variety of small trucks but it's the Austin one everyone remembers. It was derived from the Austin 10 four seater saloon and was pretty ubiquitous during WW2. I'm building the Tamiya 1/48 version because that's what I do. Other kits are available. Aiming for a single 24 hour stint, with an official start of midday today.

The box. Bought at my last visit to North East Model Centre, so I paid 20% less than than the sticker price.

spacer.png

The sprues. Not sure why the tilt has been moulded in clear - just makes it harder to paint, and I'm going to have to as I don't have time to scratch the scaffolding instead.

spacer.png

Instructions are the standard Tamiya double sided concertina, and don't hold any surprises. There are a generous 6 schemes on the decal sheet. The Polish one is for the 4th Infantry so I'll rob the 1st Armoured signs from another sheet. Everythnig else will be as Uncle Tamiya intended.

spacer.png

Being on my own made Christmas dinner a cinch - Chicken Ceylon, Tarka Dahl, Mushroom Pilau and a couple of Onion Bhajis. Indian food that has almost certainly never been east of Dover :D Four minutes in the microwave and that was me fed.

spacer.png

Right, building time. See you in a bit.

Andy

Edited by Foxbat
  • Like 6

Christmas socks on - proper wool nordic ones.

spacer.png

Suitably attired, it was off to to th work room and I quickly got the chassis together. I hate using new paint and this stuff is why - I've had the set for ages but I'm using two colours today that I haven't used before and it's taking an absolue AGE to get them to mix and reach a good consistency for brushing. Still looks very thin in the photo, but we'll not be looking at that bit very often so it will do.

spacer.png

My helpers were mad keen to start with but soon lost interest and fell asleep on the job. Sacked!! I soldiered on alone.

spacer.png

Two coats of paint on the outside where you can see it, one on the inside where it will be 90% invisible - unless I didn't paint it at all in which case you would see the gaps from space 😕 

spacer.png

I've painted mosy of the rest of the parts on the sprue while I had the brown out. I'm going with the pre-D-Day brown and black scheme for a change, working on the premise that second line soft skins wouldn't have been repainted SCC15 the same way the fighting vehicles were. Stopped for tea. Goose, stuffing and a big pile of veg. There was a baileys too, but that didn't makr the picture.

spacer.png

I'm town now between doing a bit more and stopping for the night to have a drink or two. Well, it is Christmas. 

Andy

• Like 5

Got a bit more done. Windows are in, internals are all fitted and the body is joined to the chasssis. Matt is still drying on the wheels, my Akan tyre grey seems quite glossy these days. 

spacer.png

Still plenty to do tomorrow, but should finish in time (famous last words, hey?). In the meantime, it's time to play with one of my Christmas presents. Chin chin :)

spacer.png

Andy

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Foxbat said:

My helpers were mad keen to start with but soon lost interest and fell asleep on the job. Sacked!! I soldiered on alone.

Yeah, you just can't get good help nowadays. Happy soldiering. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Still a ton of detail parts to add, a couple of touch ups and the camo to do on the tilt when the base coat is dry. Then it's just decals and weathering. 105 minutes to go? No problem :o :D 

spacer.png

Andy

• Like 2

Not nearly enough music videos in this thread. So here's a couple, and a question; can you self plagiarise, or was Ritchie stuck for ideas and just recycling riffs?

I used to annoy an ex (just by continuing to breathe as it turned out :D ) by singing the chorus of one over the other. Simpler times...

Andy

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Those 2 hairy beauties, again no help from them I suppose?

No, they had a go at some Warhammer figures then had a nap while they waited for me to paint them. No help at all with the Tilly 😕 

Andy

• Haha 3

Bum!!! Not going to make the Superman straight 24 hour limit, but begging your indulgence, another hour should have it finished, so well within the "Two 12 hours sperated by no more than 12 hours" thing.

This is where it stands at noon:

spacer.png

So close. So, so close 😢 

Andy

• Like 2

• Foxbat changed the title to Andy's Austin ***Finished***

Well a bit later tna planned, but that's the way of the world. Since I had time to play with I treat myself to a spot fo brunch. Goose sammidges with home made chutney.

spacer.png

Lots of detail painting, tidying up and decalling followed. Gave everything a coat of matt varnish, then a little drybrush with Tamiya flat earrth to tone down the white markings got me to here. More pics in the gallery. Compulsoty penny shot :) 

spacer.png

The standard scheme would have the census numbers along the bonnet sides and a white star on each door, but as the Poles are wont to say  "Nie jesteśmy Anglikami bonny lad. Żadna z tych bzdur dla nas like". Your Poles may vary :D 

Andy

• Like 3