1/48 Paragon Avro Manchester Conversion £380 +

JohnT

One just gone on a well known auction site for £380 plus posts so someone having a good Christmas !

I remain perplexed at the lack of am producers in doing a set - even a short run

Maybe waiting to do it in 1/32 on the HK kit ?  :D

Happy Christmas everyone

Oh how I wished I'd bought one for £50 when they first came out. I was going to, have the donor kit chopped up already, but you know how it is. after wandering the airshow stalls all Summer you have no money left. This is the second time this particular conversion has come up for sale. The first time, its 'reserve was not met' at £166!

£10 for postage. You're havin' a giraffe mate. And why in Greece?

I se this quite a lot on Fleabay. Some desirable object is put up for ostensible sale, but at a hugely inflated price. It never sells, at any price, but it's not meant to. Word gets around that maybe £150 is a reasonable price, rather than £380, so inflation is built in.

Look at Airfix bagged 'red stripe' kits for £15+. The 'rare' Spitfire JE-J Mk. IX. Pfff! I'm not paying that for yellowed decals and kit quality long surpassed by other manufacturers... 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ossington said:

Oh how I wished I'd bought one for £50 when they first came out... 

You're not the only one mate!

But, after some failed attempts to get a hold on the specific set I have now decided that I will never build the specific aircraft.

Anyhow, that's life!

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, JohnT said:

One just gone on a well known auction site for £380 plus posts so someone having a good Christmas !

21 hours ago, Ossington said:

Oh how I wished I'd bought one for £50 when they first came out. 

14 hours ago, Shalako said:

You're not the only one mate!

Anyhow, that's life!

I have seen this kind of thing a few times over the years, when some sets that I used to manufacture eventually go for high prices at various places online. Some of them have gone for quite surprising amounts too, in certain cases. Market forces of supply and demand, I guess!!

As I have mentioned on here before, ironically I still own and possess all of the patterns/masters/moulds, artwork for all the photo-etch etc etc, and everything relating to the Paragon Designs range of products, none of it was ever sold on to anybody else.  Everything relating to my Paragon Designs range is still tucked away in storage. 

🙂

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Neil said:

I have seen this kind of thing a few times over the years, when some sets that I used to manufacture eventually go for high prices at various places online. Some of them have gone for quite surprising amounts too, in certain cases. Market forces of supply and demand, I guess!!

As I have mentioned on here before, ironically I still own and possess all of the patterns/masters/moulds, artwork for all the photo-etch etc etc, and everything relating to the Paragon Designs range of products, none of it was ever sold on to anybody else.  Everything relating to my Paragon Designs range is still tucked away in storage. 

🙂

Neil that’s all good to know. At least one can dream. 

7 hours ago, Neil said:

🙂

Hi

So hypotheticaly how much would a manchester conversion kit cost if you produced them still ?

100 Gbp ?  or less or more ? 

cheers

jerry 

I’m sure Neil has thought about it before when the odd conversation set has surfaced on flea bay and sold for silly money but if I think I understand it he really has moved interest away from even a “one off “ run as it were.  

Perhaps one day someone else might think a run of say either 50 sets or such number as may be prepaid ( as opposed to preordered when buyers remorse might set in) makes doing a  conversion worthwhile

On 12/26/2021 at 5:11 PM, brewerjerry said:

So hypotheticaly how much would a manchester conversion kit cost if you produced them still ?

No idea, in truth,  I would not have a clue to be perfectly honest.  I have been away from the business for several years now,  (10 years, I think ....), I have not had the need to price anything regarding making a worthwhile profit in relation to aftermarket resin components, during that time.  Many aspects have changed, during that 10 years, regarding costs/pricing etc.

4 hours ago, JohnT said:

but if I think I understand it he really has moved interest away from even a “one off “ run as it were.  

Unfortunately it is not just a simple case of 'making a few bits, here you go'  kind of thing, there are alot of factors to consider before even making that kind of decision, and putting anything into any kind of a production run, for retail purposes. Mores the pity.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Neil said:

Unfortunately it is not just a simple case of 'making a few bits, here you go'  kind of thing, there are alot of factors to consider before even making that kind of decision, and putting anything into any kind of a production run, for retail purposes. Mores the pity.

You must realise that you are very much missed, Neil, but of course we respect your decision. 🙂

/Finn

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, FinnAndersen said:

You must realise that you are very much missed, Neil, but of course we respect your decision. 🙂

/Finn

13 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Wot Finn said. Ditto 

Al the best Neil

Well, believe me, I really have genuinely missed being involved in this industry, from a business perspective.    I do quite miss it, actually!

Have I ever considered getting back into it, and running Paragon Designs again, in some format??   Oh yes, I definitely have, many, MANY times, I must admit  ...... 😀

However, regarding what has happened worldwide in the past couple of years (and a multitude of other factors) it may not of been the wisest decision to start up again. I know of some smaller manufacturers (as I would of been ....) who have had a rather rough time of things.

On the up-side, from a selfish perspective, I have enjoyed it all again purely as a hobby, thankfully.

🙂

• Like 6

If you have the moulds for the 1/72 F-4 wings inner/outer lowered slats and anything for the 1/48 S-3 Viking then you definitely need to reproduce them! There are a lot of lads out there that need these aftermarket resin parts (including myself!)!!!

15 minutes ago, Neil said:

However, regarding what has happened worldwide in the past couple of years (and a multitude of other factors) it may not of been the wisest decision to start up again. I know of some smaller manufacturers (as I would of been ....) who have had a rather rough time of things.

Besides the comment that I made previously, I totally agree with the specific point of view. We still haven't seen the true financial effects that the 'pandemic' has caused.

I think the best time to consider whether it will be worth to start again reproducing some of the sets is September/October 2022. Then, we will all know more things about the global financial scene than what we do now.

• 4 weeks later...

Glenn at Blackbird models might be persuaded at some point, I'll have to work on him!

Fortunately, @spitfire sold me his set a few years ago for much less (still appreciate your help with this Dennis :)  ), it resides on top of my display cabinet currently 

spacer.png

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JohnT said:

And a second sold on a well known auction site for just over £300. Price dropping £80 on the one at Christmas 

This reminds me of a Verlinden Productions set that I used to "hunt" down to find it (a bit desperately), I managed to find on Ebay, I said to myself "well, now that you've found it, ok, let's buy it in a few days", the set was obviously gone immediately because it only costed £60 and now, you can't find it below £100!

I'm referring to the aircraft carrier catapult. Now, you might say well, there is the Italeri set that you can buy but, I have the impression that it is from a more modern aircraft carrier and I wanted back then to build an 80's diorama.

Anyhow, that's the mistakes we pay when we procrastinate!!!

2 hours ago, woody37 said:

Glenn at Blackbird models might be persuaded at some point, I'll have to work on him!

Fortunately, @spitfire sold me his set a few years ago for much less (still appreciate your help with this Dennis :)  ), it resides on top of my display cabinet currently 

spacer.png

Glad to help, I probably would not have got round to building it and I certainly would not have made such a fine job of it as you did, so a win/win result all round, my kids would have probably chucked it and all of the other Paragon stuff in a skip once I had departed this earth.

Cheers

Dennis

• Haha 1

On 12/26/2021 at 9:25 AM, Neil said:

I have only ever used one of your items, the Prototype Spitfire conversion, and I can say without reservation it was the best resin set I have had pass through my hands and considering it is an OOP item it still stands tall IMHO.

With regard to the topic title I have often wondered how these silly pound sterling numbers are arrived at, they are numbers I would never part with so I employ other tactics.  Point in case; I was recently floating around Evil Bay which I often do looking for kits and items I am unaware of when I stumbled on a seller whom had lots of the old Mainstream Project X items and others. Amongst them was a Project X 1/72 Jet Provost Mk1 and a 1/72 JACH Baynes Bat. The asking prices are approx £132 and £64 respectively which was representative of prices for other items they had for sale, well this got my hackles up so I set  off on a mission.  I eventually found the Baynes Bat for £16 from HJL in Japan with approx £7 for postage for a grand total of £24.....so I ordered one. The JP is still a work in progress.

I found another item I was after in Turkey but even with Google Translate I could not figure out the process to buy, some you win, some you loose.

And what is this 'Rare' description all about. Who says it is rare? Christies or Bonhams? Doubt it.

Also, contact the initial producer, they may be thinking of another production run but just need more inquiries to make it viable, I did so only this month and I received a very positive response.

As the yellow pages once said 'let your fingers do the walking' be patient and much of what you want will become available. AND IT ISN'T RARE........!

Neil

I have one of your Manchester conversions, along with several other items from your wonderful product line.

The only thing holding me up from finishing the Manchester is knowing the other wing dihedral.

The mating surface on my outer wing panels is a bit ambiguous.

Could you give me some numbers?

23 hours ago, woody37 said:

spacer.png

A superb job you made of it too, it must be said.  Excellent!!  :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ossington said:

Dihedral you say?

https://ibb.co/4fngCKQ

I think for model purposes that it would be best measured from the top of the rear spar. 4 degrees + or - 30' just in case it doesn't open.

You've quoted the incidence

Dihedral is quoted as 4 degrees 43 minutes +/- 15 minutes on top of the rear spar - not a lot of difference, I know, but just for accuracy....