Name the Royal Naval Air Station and the Year?

Uncle Dick

My first guess was RNAS Portland but could not find any reference of a runway 04 at Portland?

Second guess RNAS Sembawang in Singapore had runway 04 and 22 but could not find any photos of runways being so close to beach or water...modern photos of former RNAS Sembawang show surrounded by land but that could have been reclaimed ....as to year am guessing 1970 to 1976... 

In any case thats 18 Wasps on approach + 1 Wessex on the deck!

Merry Christmas

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154756577104?hash=item240835f750:g:KwIAAOSwnVlhGS0i

Safe to say disregard the seller's photo description "Royal Navy Photo Wasp Helicopters landing HMS Ark Royal"  

Edited by Uncle Dick

I'm certain it's Portland, I spent every year of my childhood holidaying in Weymouth during the 60's and 70's. It was my version of paradise - Bovingdon tank museum, Portland RN base and up the road my dads old WW2 airfield Tarrant Rushton. I would agree early 70's.

Neil

13 hours ago, Uncle Dick said:

Second guess RNAS Sembawang in Singapore had runway 04 and 22 but could not find any photos of runways being so close to beach or water...

You are correct, RNAS Sembawang (HMS Simbang) was quite a few miles from the coast.  It had become disused as an active airbase in the early-mid 1960's and was used as a base for Royal Marines.  Only the commando helicopter squadrons used it, when ashore from their respective commando carriers Bulwark and Albion.  42 Commando RM used the base in the 1960s in between tours to Borneo during the Indonesian Confrontation.

cheers,
Mike

Portland all day long. Golf ball was a feature and the rating waiting by the piano keys. Also outer harbour wall in the background.

Its either going to be a 771 or later on a 772 Wessex on the ready alert SAR spot, 5 spot if my memory is still sharp.

• Like 1

I grew up in Weymouth that is definitely Portland.

16 hours ago, Kingswear1 said:

Sea Kings are still operated from this site by HeliOperations(?) on SAR training.

Mark

Yes I've heard this but not seen them. My 10yr old son reckons he's seen them fly over (we're still in Dorset but not so close to Weymouth / Portland) they have German markings he believes.