Space: 1999 1/72 Hawk Mk IX WIP

Please excuse the decal backing paper carnage in the background! 😆

Nearing the end of completion of my MPC Hawk (this is the Round 2 re-release). I wanted to do the orange/white scheme but for some odd reason couldn't find a proper orange that looked good to my eyes, so all-white it is. It's pretty much a straight OOB build, primed with Badger Gray Stynylrez and sprayed with a couple of gloss coats of white (Tamiya X-2), for ease of decal application. When all is done she'll get a clear flat finish. Although the parts didn't literally fall together like a Bandai kit, the assembly went better than I expected, with the exception of breaking one of the tiny lunar lander legs that brace the rear engine assembly, despite careful use of my Tamiya hobby nippers. 😡 But hey, it just made me think of this build as a trial run of patience for one of the Bandai Y-Wings in my stash.

kKDlFzP.jpg

RUe3ITs.jpg

Io1zytQ.jpg

3McJR3G.jpg

Microscale Micro Set and Microsol were my two best friends when it came to help wrap those tiny orange decals around the trusswork.

D3j5ZWV.jpg

One little trick I learned for finishing the main and booster engine bells:

1. Polish the bare plastic with ultra-fine grit sanding pads. I used a Gundam "Raser Balancer" sanding stick, which I've read is equivalent to 2000 grit. You'll get a nice glossy finish.
2. I airbrushed two mist coats of Tamiya X-1 gloss black followed by a heavy wet coat . That's right, no primer!
3. Again, I applied two mist coats and a final wet coat of AK Interactive Xtreme (481 Polished Aluminum). When dry you get a nice sheen that almost rivals the aftermarket aluminum Eagle bells.

cWLObMk.jpg

C2qfRXw.jpg

Finally, I don't plan on using the included base. If I can find a shadow box that agrees with the model's dimensions, it'll become a wall hanging.

Edited by HadesOmega
text body edit
  • Like 11