Legendary Blackbird - Part 4: A-12B "Titanium Goose" (1:48 Italeri/Testors Conversion)

Here are the parts to be used as the inlet replacements:

2671.jpg

The port side parts were detached from print base plates and ready for test. The compressor first stage is significantly deformed because of very thin wall thickness but still usable for fit test:

2676.jpg

2677.jpg

2678.jpg

The spike has two parts and moved freely forward and backward through spike support:

2679.jpg

2680.jpg

Here is the dry fit of the intake assembly (except inlet duct):

2681.jpg

The inlet duct fits well to rear part:

2682.jpg

2683.jpg

2672.jpg

Here are both inlet and exhaust assemblies side by side:

2673.jpg

Next step is to perform fit test of inlet assembly:

2674.jpg

Serkan

• Like 12

Nice, you modelled the forward bypass doors :)  Ours will have the forward and the aft doors, although I admit it may be a waste of time doing them as you can't see them unless you remove the spike...

The centrebody/spike design on the Revell kit is quite funny...when I saw the first sprue pics I was wondering what those banana shaped things were...

J

• Haha 2

On 12/29/2021 at 8:17 AM, JeffreyK said:

Nice, you modelled the forward bypass doors :)  Ours will have the forward and the aft doors, although I admit it may be a waste of time doing them as you can't see them unless you remove the spike...

The centrebody/spike design on the Revell kit is quite funny...when I saw the first sprue pics I was wondering what those banana shaped things were...

J

Thanks lot Jeff. When the spike is placed almost none of the details are visible

2672.jpg

It was also difficult for me to figure out what these strange parts are for. My first impression was that Revell was planning to make Star Wars Naboo Imperial Starship kit, but later they have decided to convert it to Blackbird...

nabo_royal_ship_0000.jpg736967e7-621f-4d

Serkan

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Applying a bit force on glued spike very carefully I managed to remove it from its stand. Here are the comparison of printed and original spikes:

2675.jpg

To place new intake assembly the spike stand needs to be removed.

2684.jpg

Also the intake lip needs to be shortened by 5mm:

2685.jpg

2686.jpg

The intake assembly fits perfectly although I haven't done any dimensions check with the kit before!.. Most probably pure luck...

2687.jpg

2688.jpg

Next step is to print forward fuselage of Titanium Goose...

Serkan

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

The aircraft is now ready to "downgrade": From Blackbird to Oxcart!..

Here is the kit before major modification:

2827.jpg

And together with her sister 1:48 Revell Blackbird:

2828.jpg

For test purposes I have printed only a small portion of mid fuselage section:

2834.jpg

The aircraft was divided into two parts along the wing root leading edge:

2835.jpg

2836.jpg

2837.jpg

18 hours ago, David H said:

I'm just stunned by the amount of detail and the fact that everything fits so well. Hardly the norm when using aftermarket resin parts.....

This time I was not so lucky: The fuselage cross section does not fit well to kit geometry:

2838.jpg

But this is not a huge effort to fix this. The motto is: "Was passt nicht wird passend gemacht!.."

"What does not fit will be made to fit!.." 

Serkan

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

The aircraft is now ready to "downgrade": From Blackbird to Oxcart!..

I think you mean 'back date' from Blackbird to Oxcart!  Impressive work, with all these 1/48th A-12/SR-71 kits you must have a large modelling room. :happy:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I think you mean 'back date' from Blackbird to Oxcart!  Impressive work, with all these 1/48th A-12/SR-71 kits you must have a large modelling room. :happy:

if you saw the A-12 instrument panel, you would definitely consider it a downgrade.

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, David H said:

if you saw the A-12 instrument panel, you would definitely consider it a downgrade.

I studied a bit from Oxcart manual how to model the instrument console and panels but after few attempts I gave up...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

The parts have been printed nicely and all panel lines are very crisp:

2840.jpg

The parts are really big. Only the length of the front fuselage part is around 15cm!.. Here are the all printed parts to be used in this build:

2841.jpg

The tail cone has to be modified as well. I have not decided yet whether to print this area or go with old school way: filling/sanding...

The clear parts will be printed using clear resin later. Currently I have printed them using gray resin to perform fit test.

Serkan

• Like 11

17 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

I studied a bit from Oxcart manual how to model the instrument console and panels but after few attempts I gave up...

In the A-12, the instruments are all steam gauges and the layout is a real poo-poo-show. Fortunately, the SR-71 arrived when tape-type instruments were being incorporated into supersonic aircraft, which makes the pilots instrument scan a lot easier. They found limited usage back then, due to the fact they were mechanical. However, in the digital age where everything is projected onto a Primary flying display, they have emerged as the dominant means of presenting airspeed, acceleration trend, altitude, and vertical speed information in an easily digestible format.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, David H said:

You sir, are on the cutting edge of a transformative technology for model building and you are driving the state of the art!!

Thanks David,

Here are fuselage section comparison. Note that the triangulated chine panels extends along the entire fuselage up to wing root junction:

2829.jpg

The entire aircraft with printed fuselage:

2830.jpg

2831.jpg

Here are the top and bottom views:

2832.jpg

2833.jpg

Next is to reshape the tail cone before attaching the fuselage.

Serkan

• Like 8

Very cool indeed. When i built my YF-12 in the late 20th Century, i re-scribed the silver plastic, and i replicated the pie sections by masking them off with Scotch removable tape and shooting them with mixes of black, very dark grey, and i may or may not have used dark blue. Can't remember.

Not to be Devils advocate, but considering the fuselage splice point, have you considered some sort of  longitudinal carry through beam to take the flexing loads at the joint?

-d-

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, David H said:

Not to be Devils advocate, but considering the fuselage splice point, have you considered some sort of  longitudinal carry through beam to take the flexing loads at the joint?

Thanks David,

The resin fuselage end will have an insert around 6mm to join to the aft fuselage/wing and it is stiff enough to avoid any bending of flex loads at the joint. The printed fuselage has a 1.5mm thickness and the resin is itself is very stiff too (tends to break rather than bend).

Serkan

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Next is to reshape the tail cone before attaching the fuselage.

Yesterday I have reshaped my left thumb with x-acto while I was working on flaps. Fortunately I am very experienced to glue such clean cuts (around 2cm long deep cut) with cyano as I did many times in the past. No worry, I am a doctor, not in medical but doesn't matter... 👨‍⚕️🩺

Most probably next two weeks I won't be able to make any further progress... 🤕

Let's see what I can do during healing period... 🤔

Serkan

• Sad 4

On 10/01/2022 at 19:44, Serkan Sen said:

Yesterday I have reshaped my left thumb with x-acto while I was working on flaps. Fortunately I am very experienced to glue such clean cuts (around 2cm long deep cut) with cyano as I did many times in the past. No worry, I am a doctor, not in medical but doesn't matter... 👨‍⚕️🩺

It’s sad to hear, Serkan! The progress is outstanding and the painted Birds looks so amazing. Gute besserung!

• Thanks 1

On 10/01/2022 at 16:44, Serkan Sen said:

Oops Serkan, we have all done that, perhaps not the ca glue bit but that's what it was invented for, liquid sutures during the Vietnam war, immediate triage until they could be got to the field hospital.  Hope it's not sore for too long.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/12/2022 at 11:22 AM, Retired Bob said:

Oops Serkan, we have all done that, perhaps not the ca glue bit but that's what it was invented for, liquid sutures during the Vietnam war, immediate triage until they could be got to the field hospital.  Hope it's not sore for too long.

Thanks Bob. Based on my modelling injuries experience the best healing method for x-acto wound is to glue though the clean cut with cyano and close it with medical adhesive tape instead of stitches. The only problem I have with standard cyano is that it is very brittle (no flexibility). But it stops bleeding very quickly and stops the pain miraculously. (Sometimes I forget that cut and continue to work and it bleeds again as the glue is brittle 🙂 )

https://www.healthline.com/health/super-glue-on-cuts

Today I will remove the medical tape to see the status... 👍

• Like 2