Legendary Blackbird - Part 4: A-12B "Titanium Goose" (1:48 Italeri/Testors Conversion)

9 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

The only problem I have with standard cyano is that it is very brittle (no flexibility). But it stops bleeding very quickly and stops the pain miraculously. (Sometimes I forget that cut and continue to work and it bleeds again as the glue is brittle 🙂 )

Spoiler

We’re often use this in our practice for closing the wounds without stitches (especially on face):

136554.jpg

Actually, the capillary bleeding stops within 72 hours.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The tail cone has to be modified as well. A-12 and YF-12A have the same tail shape:

2878.jpg2880.jpg

2887.jpg

The above image shows the new printed tail cone with fuel dump. Next step is to bring the mid fuselage and rear fuselage parts together.

Serkan

• Like 4

A 10cm long slot has been opened to fit the printed fuselage diameter to the kit rear part:

2884.jpg

2885.jpg

2886.jpg

The amount of putty and plastic card to fill the slot was significantly less than I expected. Next is to wait till the putty is ready sand.

Serkan

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

All panel lines have been rescribed. It took a bit long but the result looks very good. The model was coated with primer and some local corrections have been done:

2992.jpg

2993.jpg

Next step is to add forward fuselage part...

Serkan

• Like 3

The inboard and outboard elevons had to be improved. At the beginning I was planning to "clone" the Revell elevons:

2879.jpg

But later on I decided to print them which is faster and allows me to reshape especially inboard elevon:

3005.jpg

3006.jpg

After three hours the parts were ready:

3007.jpg

After the test print (left bottom) I was able to make fit test and do some planform and thickness corrections on the model. The lower row of the right-bottom image shows the final parts. Next step is to finalize tail cone and fuel dump area...

Serkan

• Like 3

My first attempt to modify the tail cone with putty and plastic cards was not very successful. Therefore I decided to print the cone and fuel dump as well. Here is the cone with inboard elevons:

3009.jpg

3010.jpg

3008.jpg

It took around three hours to print the part. Next step is to replace the cone with the new one.

Serkan

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2022 at 3:47 AM, Hoops said:

Great progress Serkan, glad to see the model continue!

Hoops

Thanks Hoops, I hope you have started your AFTI build. I am impatiently waiting for your progess pictures. 

Serkan

On 5/24/2022 at 10:17 PM, Alan P said:

This is basically a new kit! Very nice work again 😊👍

You are right Alan, it seems so. Only the wing and rear fuselage area was left from the original kit. I am planning to make a test print of the entire aircraft at least in 1:144 scale.

2651.jpg

Serkan

• Like 4

The elevon triangular panel lines have been corrected (special thanks to @JeffreyK)

3027.jpg

Here are the old (upper row) versus new ones (lower row):

3034.jpg

3035.jpg

A final fit test before painting and a comparison of printed parts vs 3D drawings:

3037.jpg

3026.jpg

Next step is to print cockpit details...

Serkan

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Thanks Hoops, I hope you have started your AFTI build. I am impatiently waiting for your progess pictures. 

Serkan

Unfortunately I'm in the middle of moving again, and all of my modeling stuff is packed up in a crate in a warehouse somewhere. Hopefully once we finally settle down!

Cheers!

Hoops

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

The cockpit looks amazing, Serkan! Can’t wait to see it painted and fitted in. 👍

Thanks Nikolay, all above pictures with blue background were taken using a digital magnifier. I have to use it for painting the instrument panel and cockpit tub as well hence all these details are too small to see with my standard eye glasses. 🤓

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Serkan Sen said:

all above pictures with blue background were taken using a digital magnifier. I have to use it for painting the instrument panel and cockpit tub as well hence all these details are too small to see with my standard eye glasses. 🤓

Tell me about this digital magnifier... Ever since my cataract surgery, my near vision is terrible. I have some super-high power reading glasses, but those give me a headache pronto.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, billn53 said:

Tell me about this digital magnifier... Ever since my cataract surgery, my near vision is terrible. I have some super-high power reading glasses, but those give me a headache pronto.

You can find many brands if you search in Amazon as "usb digital microscope" commonly with 40x to 1000x magnification. I bought it for my daughters to do little scientific explorations but it is very handy to use in modelling especially for working with very tiny parts. Another good thing is that you can take the pictures while you are working on parts.

You need to work with a screen but this can be a mobile phone, tablet or PC. Some of them has a built in monitor within.

Serkan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1