First We Take Manhattan.... Special Hobby 1/72 Short Sunderland Mk. V - Finally Finished

AliGauld

Talk about a major rework! Kudos for doing it though. As you say, it's only time and a lot of effort!

I'm looking forward to seeing it coloured in again!

Ian

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Brandy said:

Talk about a major rework! Kudos for doing it though. As you say, it's only time and a lot of effort!

I'm looking forward to seeing it coloured in again!

Ian

Thanks Ian,

All this work has been entirely my own fault but now I've got a good feeling about it again .

9 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great to see you doing a bitvmore on this one Alistair,  canwait to see the paint go on again.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

Should be getting to some colours tomorrow.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

For what it's worth, I habitually use neutral grey for my primer. I find it works well, and other paints, even white, go well over it. Glad to see you're back at this! Best of luck finishing this beast!

Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

And back in the room!!! 🤩 Please tell me the canopy dust was on the outside. 🤞

Johnny

Unfortunately not,

I would have popped the canopy off to clean it out but it was glued on with G-S Hypo and was absolutely solid when I tried.

It looks fine from about a foot away.

33 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oooooooooo looks wonderful on primer Alistair. 

Chris

Thanks Chris.

Now the paint is going on I'm felling quite positive again.

29 minutes ago, Learstang said:

For what it's worth, I habitually use neutral grey for my primer. I find it works well, and other paints, even white, go well over it. Glad to see you're back at this! Best of luck finishing this beast!

Regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason,

I use Tamiya Neutral grey thinned with Rapid Thinners as my primer on most things.

It goes down nicely smooth and as you say other colours go on well over it.

Cheers,

Alistair  

• Like 3

The final bit for tonight.

I took a leaf from @Dunny's build and did some pre-shading. EDSG for the White bits and Nato Black for the EDSG.

Mine is fairly shaky though. Should be ok with paint over the top.

EKFbe74.jpg

Qc0Bgz0.jpg

j9JPOfL.jpg

QVlxuKr.jpg

I feel it's been a fairly productive day and hopefully I can get the white painted tomorrow.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 14

11 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Unfortunately not,

I would have popped the canopy off to clean it out but it was glued on with G-S Hypo and was absolutely solid when I tried.

It looks fine from about a foot away

Noooooo. 😩

in the past I have used a bit of cloth attached to a wire and guided inside. Can you get in through the front gun turret? 

lovely pre shade by the way.

Johnny.

• Thanks 1

Alistair,

Looking lovely - I do find that EDSG fades much better under white. Great to see paint going down!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looking very nice the second time around.

One good takeaway - all this sanding and repainting means that your panel lines will be nice and subdued!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian,

That's what I'm hoping for.

9 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking good Alistair, like it and good point made by Adrian too. Should look great when the paint goes over the top.

Cracking work 

Chris

Thanks Chris,

Too kind

9 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Noooooo. 😩

in the past I have used a bit of cloth attached to a wire and guided inside. Can you get in through the front gun turret? 

lovely pre shade by the way.

Johnny.

Thanks Johnny,

Unfortunately not. This kit has a full interior and there is too much in the way.

8 hours ago, Dunny said:

Alistair,

Looking lovely - I do find that EDSG fades much better under white. Great to see paint going down!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger,

Apologies for nicking your ideas.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’ve had dusty canopies before. Try rubbing the underside of the fuselage vigorously with some artificial fibre cloth to build up a static charge, then gently flick the canopy with a fingertip. The bits may dislodge and head for the charged area. Worked for me for plastic construction debris, may or may not for sanding dust.

Here is where I tried it…

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Try rubbing the underside of the fuselage vigorously with some artificial fibre cloth to build up a static charge, then gently flick the canopy with a fingertip

Now that is next level thinking - great tip!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

I’ve had dusty canopies before. Try rubbing the underside of the fuselage vigorously with some artificial fibre cloth to build up a static charge, then gently flick the canopy with a fingertip. The bits may dislodge and head for the charged area. Worked for me for plastic construction debris, may or may not for sanding dust.

Regards,

Adrian

That’s a great tip - filed away for future use.  

Unfortunately, I fear that at the rate Alistair works he’s probably already finished painting and applied the decals to his Sunderland.

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Regards,

Adrian

That is a cracking idea, for me it will hopefully work or I will have sticky up hair for a while!!!😄😉

Chris

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian,

I'll give it a go.

24 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Now that is next level thinking - great tip!

Isn't it.

Why didn't we think of that. It's because our minds are too highly trained Majikthise.

24 minutes ago, mark.au said:

That’s a great tip - filed away for future use.  

Unfortunately, I fear that at the rate Alistair works he’s probably already finished painting and applied the decals to his Sunderland.

Not quite, but I was heading out to start the white when the notification came through.

14 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

I will have sticky up hair for a while!!!😄😉

Chris

Not a problem I've had for many years so I can go for it with impunity. :D

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Why didn't we think of that. It's because our minds are too highly trained Majikthise.

My magic thighs have been mentioned before, but I do not recall it in the context of a Sunderland canopy 🤣

• Haha 4

And we have some colour. Two bottles of Tamiya Flat White each with 5 drops of Buff in.

7d4L0aN.jpg

80iykvQ.jpg

OjpQ7QL.jpg

The preshading is just visible in natural light but gets washed out by the flash.

A little work to be done on the Port nose where some stupid git got a fingerprint when his arthritis caused a wee spasm.

Nothing a light sand and respray won't solve.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 9

24 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Wow  this is looking very impressive Alistair,  sorry to hear about the nose fella, I am sure easily sorted by a man  of your calibre. 

Chris

Thanks Chris,

It's nothing a gentle sand and light respray can't cure.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1