First We Take Manhattan.... Special Hobby 1/72 Short Sunderland Mk. V - Finally Finished

AliGauld

Noooooooooo! Having taken many steps on this journey with you, I truly feel your pain. I hope SH can come up with the goods. A Sea Hornet is good compo though...

Fingers crossed,

Roger

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Well, that'll teach me to be too confident. I was just cleaning up some marks around the wing roundels and instead of putting the Sunderland down to get a new cotton bud and fresh thinner I held it in my lap and the arthritis kicked in, my hand spasmed and locked and then this.

Well, that's a definite " Oh :poop: ! "  moment.

I hope the recovery goes well.

Chris

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Dunny said:

Noooooooooo! Having taken many steps on this journey with you, I truly feel your pain. I hope SH can come up with the goods. A Sea Hornet is good compo though...

Fingers crossed,

Roger

Thanks Roger,

It is what it is.

I'm just waiting a reply from Special Hobby then we'll see.

17 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Well, that's a definite " Oh :poop: ! "  moment.

I hope the recovery goes well.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I may, or may not, have used what they now call at my work unprofessional language.

It's only plastic and a lesson in not taking care.

5 hours ago, mark.au said:

Well, that sucks.  I hope you can muster the enthusiasm to finish it when the various decal and such requirements are in place.

Thanks Mark,

If Special Hobby can sell me a new sheet it will be finished as I'm not letting it get the better of me.:oops:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Been away for a few days and just catching up with this… what a shame Alistair but I have no doubt you will surmount the difficulties with your customary elan. 

Craig. 

Thanks Craig,

I've been pondering for a couple of days now and have decided that I could do it as the French scheme that's in the sheet I have but that version had cheek guns and I'd need to change them over as well.

It's all in the wind at the moment I'll just have to wait and see.

7 hours ago, mick b said:

Gutted to see this happen Alistair but hopefully you can recover it. Do you think the transparencies will be ok?

Mike

Thanks Mike,

That's the one thing I'm concerned about but I've checked the Astrodome and there is just a little clouding on the very top so will attempt to polish that out and see how it goes.

The canopy may be another matter but I'll take the masking off and see how it is then remask if it's salvageable.

Cheers,

Alistair

I got some good news from Special Hobby today.

They have a spare sheet and are sending it to me.

I decided to order another couple of kits, just to show my appreciation of course :whistle:

Well, three to be precise but they were ones I'd been looking at, so no harm done.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, AliGauld said:

I got some good news from Special Hobby today.

They have a spare sheet and are sending it to me.

I decided to order another couple of kits, just to show my appreciation of course :whistle:

Well, three to be precise but they were ones I'd been looking at, so no harm done.

Cheers,

Alistair

I like yer style Alistair 😎  I will remember that one, even if I don't really need the decals too:wicked::whistle:

Looking forward to seeing the haul from SH.

Chris

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking forward to seeing the haul from SH.

There's a couple there that you might be interested in.

The 1/72 Seafire Mk.45 and the 1/72 Harvard Commonwealth Air Training Plan set.

Looking forward to those.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

There's a couple there that you might be interested in.

The 1/72 Seafire Mk.45 and the 1/72 Harvard Commonwealth Air Training Plan set.

Looking forward to those.

Cheers,

Alistair

Oooooo yeah, nice choices Alistair, definitely interested and looking forward to seeing them onbthe bench.

Chris

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

Arg what rotten luck! I admire your stoicism! Good chance it would've got smashed if it were me. Glad to hear SH have spare decals!

Oh luck had nothing to do with it. Just plain idiocy on my part. :D

I came very close to launching it but I've put 6 months into it so I stepped back and tried to plan my way out.

Almost everything is in place now to resume once the decals arrive. The only thing bothering me is the transparent parts but I'll figure something out if they're cloudy.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Ouch! Good idea to put it down for a bit and take a break. You have done too much good work not to finish it though!

great to hear you got some decals from SH too.

Regards,

Adrian

I definitely need to step back for a while but I've put 6 months of effort into it I'm not giving up.

It will be finished.

Cheers,

Alistair 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Well good news for everything except your bank balance!

Ach, it was stuff I was tempted to get just got them a couple of months earlier than planned. :whistle:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

A wee update,

I got notification that my care package from Special Hobby in Prague cleared customs today and is on it's way to me in the care of the Post Office.

Shouldn't be too much longer until it's in my grubby little mitts.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 7

Happy days! This may be the impetus I need to push the Mk.III over the line...

• Like 2

What an absolute nightmare. So sorry to see what happened. 🙁 luckily SH are sending you some replacements and you will hopefully get this big beastie back on track. I’ll tag the page for when you decide to give it another go.

Lovely build mind. I was gifted the Airfix one. That one has a whole different bunch of issues. 😉

Johnny.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great to hear we will soon see more of this big beastie Alistair. 

Chris

Me too Chris.

Although I have yet to sit down and plan my response.

16 hours ago, Dunny said:

Happy days! This may be the impetus I need to push the Mk.III over the line...

You're doing a fine, nay, stunning job on it and you'll get there sooner or later.

It's not a kit that lets you push on you have to walk away every so often.

10 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

What an absolute nightmare. So sorry to see what happened. 🙁 luckily SH are sending you some replacements and you will hopefully get this big beastie back on track. I’ll tag the page for when you decide to give it another go.

Lovely build mind. I was gifted the Airfix one. That one has a whole different bunch of issues. 😉

Johnny.

Thanks Johnny,

Once I've formulated a plan of attack, which, will probably go right out the window when I try it. I will get back on it.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3

I am following this build with great interesting.

One question about the underwing serials. When were these introduced on the Sunderland? I have thought summer 1945, but I could be wrong.

Nils

• Thanks 1