First We Take Manhattan.... Special Hobby 1/72 Short Sunderland Mk. V - Finally Finished

AliGauld

Niiiice. I'm hopefully going to get my lanolin & boots done this w/e. I'll be very happy if they're this crisp!

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

Hi Alistair,

Even with out the floats on, that is really looking a like a Sunderland :thumbsup:

Are you going to mount on beaching gear or have it in a water scene?

Thanks/Regards

Alan

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oooooo looking lovely Alistair, nicely done.  I am taking notes just incase I get one 😉 

Chris

Thanks Chris,

We're not wearing you down are we. :wicked:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Dunny said:

Niiiice. I'm hopefully going to get my lanolin & boots done this w/e. I'll be very happy if they're this crisp!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger,

I'm certain they will be multiple factors better.

7 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi Alistair,

Even with out the floats on, that is really looking a like a Sunderland :thumbsup:

Are you going to mount on beaching gear or have it in a water scene?

Thanks/Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan,

That is really appreciated.

She'll be up on the beaching gear as I don't think I have the space for a large base and also have no clue and even fewer skills to do a water scene. :D

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

After a clear coat I got started on the decals.

pPBQoqz.jpg

Ez25Syj.jpg

kpX1NLh.jpg

I had a small disaster when trying to put the 4 on the side. It stuck to the tweezers as I was lifting the paper up to position it for placing and twisted curled and glued itself to itself.

So, the other side decals were scanned in to the PC and have been printed on decal paper.

That is now drying and will be left overnight and then sealed.

There may be a small colour difference between the two sets so I'll use the spare 4 on this side and the printed set on the other to keep things uniform.

Stuff happens as they say. It's fixable.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 14

Not much of an update.

I've been pondering the decal issue and have decided that it would be better to have both halves the same shade so I printed up another set this morning.

The top set have been sealed with Liquid Decal Film, the bottom set is now being allowed to dry thoroughly and will be sealed tomorrow.

Then it'll be the moment of truth.

I have kept the jpeg handy just in case but this was my last sheet of clear inkjet paper so if necessary it'll be amazon for more.

sV5vqjm.jpg

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3

A very distinctive font.

You’re a lot more generous with your decal paper than me! I print mine really densely, cut out the decals for use, then stick the remaining sheet to a complete sheet of A4 paper when I print it again. If I’ve left a big hole I stick the edges of that down too so it doesn’t snag. You just have to remember to position each new set of decals a bit lower on the page.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

A very distinctive font.

You’re a lot more generous with your decal paper than me! I print mine really densely, cut out the decals for use, then stick the remaining sheet to a complete sheet of A4 paper when I print it again. If I’ve left a big hole I stick the edges of that down too so it doesn’t snag. You just have to remember to position each new set of decals a bit lower on the page.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks for the tip Adrian.

I usually print as many a possible on a contact sheet but the quickest way I could get the right size this time was just to reverse the paper. :blush:.

It was the last sheet and I needed an excuse to order some more. ;)

Cheers,

Alistair.

• Haha 2

So, instead of being scared to go for the new decals I got the old ones off and tried the new ones.

Qmqpvve.jpg

Looks OK from here but...

oc6RJPL.jpg

A couple of touch ups required but I'm chuffed with the result I think I need to put two coats of the decal film on the second bunch.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 14

9 hours ago, AliGauld said:

So, instead of being scared to go for the new decals I got the old ones off and tried the new ones.

Qmqpvve.jpg

Looks OK from here but...

oc6RJPL.jpg

A couple of touch ups required but I'm chuffed with the result I think I need to put two coats of the decal film on the second bunch.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

Looking lovely Alistair. I've never tried printing my own decals as yet, although I do have some film - your efforts encourage me to have a go. Every day is indeed a school day!

Cheers,

Roger 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Thanks Roger,

I don't do it often but this time it was necessary due to my own stuff up. :blush:

Cheers,

Alistair

Lol - there's a few of them around on these there Sunderlands

• Haha 1

Starboard side decals are now done.

p2k3BJ8.jpg

9PY7UCO.jpg

fOm3fLF.jpg

They'll be hit with softener before I head off to work tonight and if I get some time a clear coat tomorrow

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 10

Looks great Alistair,  I was going to scan the Sea Venom decals and print my own but need to figure out about changing the backround colour so I can print on my clear decal paper too.  I am a bit thick with the old computers!!!

Great work on those decals 

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks great Alistair,  I was going to scan the Sea Venom decals and print my own but need to figure out about changing the backround colour so I can print on my clear decal paper too.  I am a bit thick with the old computers!!!

Great work on those decals 

Chris

Thanks Chris.

If the bits you want are nicely defined then any graphics program should have a colour fill facility, usually a paint pot icon, just select white as the colour and click on the background.

If it doesn't work then don't save it and no harm done.

That's what I do in the majority of cases.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

Thanks Chris.

If the bits you want are nicely defined then any graphics program should have a colour fill facility, usually a paint pot icon, just select white as the colour and click on the background.

If it doesn't work then don't save it and no harm done.

That's what I do in the majority of cases.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair will look at that too, I am a bit thick with these things.  

Chris

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigbadbadge said:

I am a bit thick with these things.  

Me too.

I have photoshop which I find so flaming complicated that I can only do relatively simple stuff in it.

I know that they were giving Photoshop CS2 away for free, it's the one I've got, I think it's still available.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Thanks 1

A light grey wash was mixed up for the white bits from Flory Grey and Ultimate winter washes and then Flory Dark Dirt was applied to the EDSG ( Checks Spelling) bits.

LcDWxt6.jpg

IDdi5mY.jpg

You can see the grey better in the shot without flash.

eqtqAUC.jpg

It works nicely without being too obvious which is what I was looking for.

Although the clear coat had had two days to cure there was an issue on the Starboard wing with a bit of grey that wouldn't shift.

I must have rubbed it too hard though as something shot off. (Ooh Err Matron).

EDuAqV5.jpg

So, out with the Mr. Color Thinner on a lightly dampened cotton bud and then a patch up with cut up bits of the spare decals from the sheet.

rI0OQxl.jpg

I'll take that as good enough.

The Outrigger floats have been glued together and the props cleaned up for the start of paint later.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 8

Well, that'll teach me to be too confident. I was just cleaning up some marks around the wing roundels and instead of putting the Sunderland down to get a new cotton bud and fresh thinner I held it in my lap and the arthritis kicked in, my hand spasmed and locked and then this.

Kx5P2jD.jpg

l4n5hiw.jpg

v5oDb1I.jpg

N5yrR3f.jpg

yJZTRBH.jpg

Half a bottle of Mr. Color Thinner all over her.

I'll leave it until it's dry and see if I can strip all the paint off and respray but I'll also need to source some decals and a sheet of the stencils.

So, this may be it.

We'll see.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Confused 1
  • Sad 16

I've emailed Special Hobby to see if they are able to supply me with a new decal sheet.

In the meantime, this, if only to stop me throwing the toys out of the pram or just lying in the corner impersonating a greeting mess. :D

v07NVXi.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 5

2 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Half a bottle of Mr. Color Thinner all over her.

Ouch - I feel for you. I did the same thing once ... but with cellulose thinner. No recovery from that

Cheers

Colin

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, ckw said:

Ouch - I feel for you. I did the same thing once ... but with cellulose thinner. No recovery from that

Cheers

Colin

Thanks Colin,

It should be recoverable but it all depends on the stencil decals.

I did it once with cellulose thinners on a Mustang and it was just a blobby mess.

It was an Aldi Airfix cheapie so I wasn't too bothered.

This one I want to salvage. We'll see how it goes and how it looks after everything has evaporated.

Cheers,

Alistair

22 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Ob mate, I am sorry to see that Alistair  and now understand why you have other build on the go.

Hope you can get sorted out okay.

Chris

No Worries Chris,

I was kicking myself when I was out shopping right after it happened but I've had a feel at the dried remains and it's just crazed paint.

It's eminently salvageable nothing that sanding and masking can't solve but it all depends on getting the new decal sheet from Special Hobby.

I just need to await their response.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1