First We Take Manhattan.... Special Hobby 1/72 Short Sunderland Mk. V - Finally Finished

AliGauld

Darkness is hands down Springsteen’s best album, and the title song the best on the album.  IMO, at least.  Best when blasted at 11 on the dial and driving fast (but within the speed limit, we wouldn’t condone anything reckless).

That lanolin effect looks really good Alistair, under the final treatments and flat coat it will look spot on I reckon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dunny said:

Alistair,

Looking really smart - my approach to the lanolin will be very similar, and I think my scheme will be easier to mask than this beauty!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger,

The lanolin effect looks ok in the cold light of day but I've no idea whether it's true to life. :D

Based on the stunning paintwork you've posted on yours it'll be magnificent.

Cheers,

Alistair

9 hours ago, mark.au said:

Darkness is hands down Springsteen’s best album, and the title song the best on the album.  IMO, at least.  Best when blasted at 11 on the dial and driving fast (but within the speed limit, we wouldn’t condone anything reckless).

That lanolin effect looks really good Alistair, under the final treatments and flat coat it will look spot on I reckon.

Thanks Mark,

I'm hoping once the weathering is done it'll all look a little less stark.

8 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Nice lanolin effects Alistair,  it does look good. Now tgat would have been a bugger to brushpaint!!!😉

Great job

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I can appreciate that it would have been a tad more difficult with a brush but I'm sure you will manage it when you get round to your Sunderland. :wicked::whistle:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, AliGauld said:
9 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I can appreciate that it would have been a tad more difficult with a brush but I'm sure you will manage it when you get round to your Sunderland. :wicked::whistle:

Ha - attack on two fronts! How long can the great man resist??

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Ha - attack on two fronts! How long can the great man resist??

Hee Hee,

I'm just chilling masking up the deicing boots and thought we could keep the pressure up. :rofl2:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Whilst masking up I stuck on Sketches of Spain and when finished sprayed some Tamiya Flat Aluminium.

A little later the masking was removed.

2tvBGpH.jpg

ox7UL95.jpg

xDw3fVp.jpg

There are a couple of minor touch ups needed where the white has rubbed of been knocked off while manhandling this brute about.

Once that's done it'll be a clear coat and stickers. :penguin:

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 12

10 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks absolutely wonderful Alistair, great work. Going to be very impressive in your display. 

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I think it's going to take over the display. Still haven't really figured out where it's going. :oops:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 1

Alistair 

Looking lovely - it's very easy for the white to become damaged given the size of this brute! I'm also pondering where on earth mine will live once complete,

Cheers,

Roger

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Dunny said:

Alistair 

Looking lovely - it's very easy for the white to become damaged given the size of this brute! I'm also pondering where on earth mine will live once complete,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger 

I'm glad it's not just me that can't figure it out 

Cheers 

Alistair 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looking lovely.

I was expecting black for the de-icers but I guess they must have  painted them silver to keep the head on lo-vis effect going.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian,

I went with the Flat Silver quoted in the destructions, well, Flat Aluminium but as Tony O'Toole used it in his build and magazine article I figured it should be right.

Your explanation makes a lot of sense though.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 2:19 AM, AliGauld said:

Thanks Roger 

I'm glad it's not just me that can't figure it out 

Cheers 

Alistair 

If it wasn’t for the size, I’d like to build one of these that was used for the British North Greenland Expedition.

https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/linden-hill-airlift-top-world-reference-book-short-sunderland

• Like 1

Excellent work on das Fliegendes Stachelschwein! When I finally get around to building mine, I have a cunning plan for the lanolin finish - ignore it!

Regards,

Jason

• Haha 3

On 6/6/2022 at 8:21 PM, AdrianMF said:

I was expecting black for the de-icers but I guess they must have  painted them silver to keep the head on lo-vis effect going.

On 6/7/2022 at 6:31 AM, AliGauld said:

I went with the Flat Silver quoted in the destructions, well, Flat Aluminium

Hi Alistair,

I agree with Adrian on the De-icing Boots being Black (or worn greyish colour)

After reading your comments and Checking my SH Sunderland Mk V Instructions,

I see SH have all three RAF Mk V's with Silver leading edges.

A check in Ocean Sentinal - The Short Sunderland on the Aircraft Profiles in question,

the photos I found really show black De-icing Boots or very worn ones or just white edges

This British Pathe Film on RAF Mk V Sunderland's shows them generally with

Black De-icing boots, however there is one with Silver Leading edges where the boots

should have been - This I believe is more the Boots have been removed exposing the metal beneath

as opposed to be painted silver - these would likely have been painted over during maintenance

RAF Sunderland's - British Pathe film

This is a link to RAF Seletar Sunderland's  (Good Colour shots in there)

by this time RAF Sunderland's would not (generally) be wearing de-icing boots

RAF Sunderlands - RAF Seletar

Hoe that's of help?

Regards

Alan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There's some great stuff on that Seletar site @LDSModeller modeller, and not just about Sunderlands. Particularly nice to see Spitfire PS888 "The Last" - when I came back to modelling (not this time, the time before) I built that from the (at the time) new Airfix PR XIX kit, lost the model in the meantime but I'd love to have another bash at it with my modestly improved skills! 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2022 at 4:26 PM, AliGauld said:

Whilst masking up I stuck on Sketches of Spain and when finished sprayed some Tamiya Flat Aluminium.

Bit of vintage Miles to help the Sunderland along, love it. I've been following your build with interest but haven't been vocal in deserved praise as yet, apologies for that, she's looking fantastic!

• Thanks 1

All I can say is WOW!!!  I do not know if I would have the patience to do the amount of sanding, filling, sanding, filling, painting, filling, sanding, masking, etc. that you have done on this Sunderland.  Could be why I haven't attacked the Airfix version with the White Ensign updates that is making sure my shelves are protected from dust.  This thread keeps getting better and better.  Amazing work, thank you for sharing.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, billn53 said:

If it wasn’t for the size, I’d like to build one of these that was used for the British North Greenland Expedition.

https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/linden-hill-airlift-top-world-reference-book-short-sunderland

I like the sound of that one. Are you sure you've no space? :wicked:

8 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi Alistair,

I agree with Adrian on the De-icing Boots being Black (or worn greyish colour)

After reading your comments and Checking my SH Sunderland Mk V Instructions,

I see SH have all three RAF Mk V's with Silver leading edges.

A check in Ocean Sentinal - The Short Sunderland on the Aircraft Profiles in question,

the photos I found really show black De-icing Boots or very worn ones or just white edges

This British Pathe Film on RAF Mk V Sunderland's shows them generally with

Black De-icing boots, however there is one with Silver Leading edges where the boots

should have been - This I believe is more the Boots have been removed exposing the metal beneath

as opposed to be painted silver - these would likely have been painted over during maintenance

RAF Sunderland's - British Pathe film

This is a link to RAF Seletar Sunderland's  (Good Colour shots in there)

by this time RAF Sunderland's would not (generally) be wearing de-icing boots

RAF Sunderlands - RAF Seletar

Hoe that's of help?

Regards

Alan

Thanks so much for this Alan.

So kind to let me know.

I'll get the masking tape out. :lol:

4 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Bit of vintage Miles to help the Sunderland along, love it. I've been following your build with interest but haven't been vocal in deserved praise as yet, apologies for that, she's looking fantastic!

Thanks very much.

That is very kind.

3 hours ago, georgeusa said:

All I can say is WOW!!!  I do not know if I would have the patience to do the amount of sanding, filling, sanding, filling, painting, filling, sanding, masking, etc. that you have done on this Sunderland.  Could be why I haven't attacked the Airfix version with the White Ensign updates that is making sure my shelves are protected from dust.  This thread keeps getting better and better.  Amazing work, thank you for sharing.

Thanks so much,

All I can say is that it's been fun so far.

I just walk away for a couple of days if it's getting stale. :D

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Learstang said:

Excellent work on das Fliegendes Stachelschwein! When I finally get around to building mine, 

Regards,

Jason

Thanks very much Jason.

17 hours ago, Learstang said:

I have a cunning plan for the lanolin finish - ignore it!

Ah, a man after my own heart with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. :lol:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 2

Everything masked up and then some Rubber Black sprayed as carefully as possible.

VJFDMMn.jpg

There are a couple of minor touch ups required but a clear coat and stickers are a step closer again.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 9