First We Take Manhattan.... Special Hobby 1/72 Short Sunderland Mk. V - Finally Finished

AliGauld

Up a bit earlier than planned so got on with the masking and whilst putting the curvy stuff on the leading edges and the upper fuselage noticed that I'd cracked a seam at some point. 

Harrumph.

Sanded gently back, glued filled and resanded.

3EDm2Uk.jpg

SL24mSY.jpg

Once that was done I realised I was going to have to do the masking in stages as the curvy tape for the uppers would encroach on the wings.

So, after some mummification.

Q4H1OfK.jpg

A little trip to play with some ColourCoats Extra Dark Sea Grey*.

lFLxnKx.jpg

And a quick unmasking or tomb opening later.

OhFXsE5.jpg

B0mnftu.jpg

5kzh9wA.jpg

hnqsjNp.jpg

Fairly chuffed with the results here.

A canopy mask came off with the other tape but as that area is pretty much done I'll maskol it until the weathering and final coats are done.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

*Other spellings and abbreviations are available. @Dandie Dinmont :lol:

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

Hello Ali.          Question: when do we get to see your new houses kitchen sink ? I feel the need to comment about it…… famous quips like ‘nice model you’ve thrown the kitchen sink at this model’……….

On a more serious note, white. Many a time I’ve been in discussions about WW2 white and Sunderland colours.  Firstly WW2 white is a sort of off white and definitely not the bright white / anti-flash of say a Vulcan……. And then there’s question of the lower bow / hull being gloss white.  ( I’m on my hols - so don’t have access to my photos ) It’s been said many a time about the Sunderland having Matt white paint finish with a gloss white bow. Some years ago I made a point of seeing this for myself by visiting Hendon…… makes sense that the portion of the hull that has to cut through the water is glossy.  I thought I’d bring it up just for discussion purposes.       😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, I've been shamelessly lurking this thread for a good while now. 

Looking great with the EGDGS on now, that colourcoats has come out really nicely, good dark tone and satin finish. I'm glad I just got some too, and despite not really being an enamel guy any more, am looking forward to having a go myself. 

Andy

Edit: also glad to see the growing crew of people who've simultaneously received a shiny new box from Arma over the last week. I feel somewhat less bad about it!

• Like 1

Alistair,

Nice and crisp job on the EDSG - top marks that man! Quite looking forward to masking the wavy demarcation on N-Nuts! Interested to see how you go with the Lanolin coating on the lower surfaces (it's called out on the Mk.III at least)

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, amos brierley said:

Hello Ali.          Question: when do we get to see your new houses kitchen sink ? I feel the need to comment about it…… famous quips like ‘nice model you’ve thrown the kitchen sink at this model’……….

On a more serious note, white. Many a time I’ve been in discussions about WW2 white and Sunderland colours.  Firstly WW2 white is a sort of off white and definitely not the bright white / anti-flash of say a Vulcan……. And then there’s question of the lower bow / hull being gloss white.  ( I’m on my hols - so don’t have access to my photos ) It’s been said many a time about the Sunderland having Matt white paint finish with a gloss white bow. Some years ago I made a point of seeing this for myself by visiting Hendon…… makes sense that the portion of the hull that has to cut through the water is glossy.  I thought I’d bring it up just for discussion purposes.       😉

The Kitchen sink is in a less well lit and certainly less photogenic part of the new kitchen. It may make an appearance just for you though.

Thanks for the paint advice. I had added Buff to the white to try and get the off white but it may have needed more as the white looks quite stark at times and I don't have anything all white to compare it with.

The Matt/Gloss will be fixed in post as they say. :whistle:

14 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Just think of it as helping the decals…

Regards,

Adrian

Absolutely, I was just planning ahead. ;)

13 hours ago, Ngantek said:

Sorry, I've been shamelessly lurking this thread for a good while now. 

Looking great with the EGDGS on now, that colourcoats has come out really nicely, good dark tone and satin finish. I'm glad I just got some too, and despite not really being an enamel guy any more, am looking forward to having a go myself. 

Andy

Edit: also glad to see the growing crew of people who've simultaneously received a shiny new box from Arma over the last week. I feel somewhat less bad about it!

Thanks so much

The ColourCoats range is really phenomenal stuff and when thinned with their own thinners. It dries quickly, goes down smoothly and doesn't smell that much.

I can't recommend it enough.

3 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Whatever you call those colours, they're looking damn fine Alistair. This is really turning out to be a beauty!

Craig.

Thanks Craig,

Too kind yet again.

3 hours ago, Dunny said:

Alistair,

Nice and crisp job on the EDSG - top marks that man! Quite looking forward to masking the wavy demarcation on N-Nuts! Interested to see how you go with the Lanolin coating on the lower surfaces (it's called out on the Mk.III at least)

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger,

Tamiya tape for curves it either works fantastically or is a disaster for me. Got lucky again.

The Lanolin..... Hmmm.

I know that @LDSModeller have given some advice on that in the review thread for your boxing.

I was hoping that the extra Dark Yellow marbling on the underside would have give the impression of it but it's not worked as well there as I'd hoped.

So, I'm thinking at the moment that I'll mask the area off and then doing a very thin grey mix of 80 thinners to 20 paint, well ish, and misting a couple of coats over to give the impression of it.

Not looking forward to it but that's a problem for future me. :D

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

After 1 1/2 hours of masking, 5 minutes of spraying and finally 20 minutes of unmasking.

Ahh the joys of airbrushing.*

JTxK10b.jpg

kGYmMYq.jpg

Only one side done as I wanted to see how the curvy tape worked on the nacelles.

I'll take it.

If I get some time tomorrow then I'll get the other wing masked and done before the masking restarts for the De-icing boots and then the lanolin.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

* and no, @bigbadbadge I'm not attempting anything on this size with a brush.:wicked:

It would never come close to your work anyway.:D

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Looks great. Immaculate masking!

Don’t see why not. You just need the right size. You can even get a posh one :wicked::wicked:

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks very much Adrian,

I did giggle. Thankfully wasn't drinking tea this time. :lol:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, AliGauld said:

* and no, @bigbadbadge I'm not attempting anything on this size with a brush.:wicked:

It would never come close to your work anyway.:D

Alistair,  I am very disappointed,  I was hoping I could goad, erm I mean encourage you into some brushpainting!!!:whistle:  I bet you could make a great job of it fella!!!:poke:

Great paintwork fella, it's really starting to come to life now.

Chris

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Alistair,  I am very disappointed,  I was hoping I could goad, erm I mean encourage you into some brushpainting!!!:whistle:  I bet you could make a great job of it fella!!!:poke:

Great paintwork fella, it's really starting to come to life now.

Chris

Nope not happening ever. Well not until I have to. 🤣

I wouldn't and couldn't do it as much justice as you. 

Cheers 

Alistair 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

Nope not happening ever. Well not until I have to. 🤣

I wouldn't and couldn't do it as much justice as you. 

Cheers 

Alistair 

I am sure you could do as good a job, you'll also love it,  just think no more massive masking jobs for a quick paint session :whistle:

Just a thought:wicked:

Chris

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, AliGauld said:

The Lanolin..... Hmmm.

I know that @LDSModeller have given some advice on that in the review thread for your boxing.

I was hoping that the extra Dark Yellow marbling on the underside would have give the impression of it but it's not worked as well there as I'd hoped.

Hi Alistair,

The following from the RAF AMO's (Air Publication 2656A Vol 1 Sect 6) may be of help to you

or to assist with comments further above about the "White Paint"

871b5a02-0edb-4757-b5e3-e0d15bc5082b.jpg

Para 35 mentioned above

485dce9f-8294-417a-8afb-a1ed209e4e5f.jpg

Anti Fouling directions

0fef2136-749f-4a6d-aa02-cb64df1842d4.jpg

Of The Lanolin waterproofing could either be Clear or light grey,

depending on your Sunderland's Production period (manufacturer)

Hope that's of help?

Regards

Alan

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

I am sure you could do as good a job, you'll also love it,  just think no more massive masking jobs for a quick paint session :whistle:

Just a thought:wicked:

Chris

It may happen, you never know.

Thing is despite the comment I find the masking quite therapeutic in the majority of cases.

You know, the ones that go down easily ;)

I'll keep thinking about it and bottling out. 

10 hours ago, Dunny said:

Damn that looks good - I shall begin sanding at the first opportunity!

Thanks Roger,

It's worked so far.

Will be popping over to marvel at your progress.

9 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi Alistair,

The following from the RAF AMO's (Air Publication 2656A Vol 1 Sect 6) may be of help to you

or to assist with comments further above about the "White Paint"

871b5a02-0edb-4757-b5e3-e0d15bc5082b.jpg

Para 35 mentioned above

485dce9f-8294-417a-8afb-a1ed209e4e5f.jpg

Anti Fouling directions

0fef2136-749f-4a6d-aa02-cb64df1842d4.jpg

Of The Lanolin waterproofing could either be Clear or light grey,

depending on your Sunderland's Production period (manufacturer)

Hope that's of help?

Regards

Alan

Thanks so much for this Alan.

Greatly appreciated.

5 hours ago, mark.au said:

Very nice.  That’s a quite striking scheme and you’re doing it justice.

Thanks Mark,

That is extremely kind of you.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

And of course life got a bit in the way today.

Whilst on the night shift last night we had breaker trip twice and it fried the SD card on my Raspberry Pi that acts as a network audio player and ended up on a shopping run that took way longer than I planned but when I got back and stuff was packed away,

I got down to reloading the software on to it and then doing the configuration stuff and mapping the network drives.

When that was done I put "Darkness on the Edge of Town" on the record deck and got down to masking the Starboard Wing.

I haven't listened to the whole album for a number of years and had forgotten how good it was.

After masking it was time for a blast of EDSG (Checked the spelling of that twice just in case Craig is around :wicked:)

Then followed the ritual unmasking.

E4QA5kK.jpg

XM8J5cV.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dr. Quack said:

Coming along beautifully Alistair.

Agree with your comment on Darkness - one of the Boss`s best albums.

Q

(Still following)

Thanks very much Q,

For me it is one of his most complete. No filler.

Although I got the issue of "The Promise" recently but haven't had the chance to sit down and listen to all three records so far.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

This evening I mixed up a little Tamiya Ocean Grey 20% and then added 80% Rapid Thinners.

After a third mummification ritual this was misted on to the hull areas followed by a light off-white misting and then a further misting of the grey.

This is supposed to represent the lanolin coating.

My hope was to get a sort of translucent coat with some variation for interest.

sem68gG.jpg

4k8PGIZ.jpg

HMDYhNL.jpg

It is a little more defined in the photo than in natural light but I'll take that.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 8

Alistair,

Looking really smart - my approach to the lanolin will be very similar, and I think my scheme will be easier to mask than this beauty!

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1