First We Take Manhattan.... Special Hobby 1/72 Short Sunderland Mk. V - Finally Finished

AliGauld

3 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

I dunno, I always thought your kitchen sink shots added a certain style to your postings!

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Craig.

3 hours ago, mark.au said:

+1  I’ll miss the black marble…

Thanks very much Gents,

As they will be missed I'll still take some kitchen shots whilst working. ;)

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

We finally got moved in and whilst we're still up to our eyeballs in boxes some work got done today.

Firstly the most important part of the new house got set up.

5yHgZum.jpg

And then tested with the moving in LP and track.

uVouO78.jpg

The spray bench got set up in the garage eventually and looking and feeling the various seams I realized that even after numerous rounds of sanding and filling there was still work to be done especially on the nose.

And so, Fill, sand and repeat until we got here.

SBhG72P.jpg

4Gtm6iZ.jpg

h3xNDzM.jpg

PXzr8eI.jpg

9rVYYUO.jpg

NgiZATp.jpg

Then it was out to test the new spraying set up and as the canopy had been affected some ColourCoats Interior Green was flung about.

s68RD9p.jpg

alSCGkh.jpg

in73O0Y.jpg

luO1An2.jpg

Still some work to be done I feel.

I'll get there. At the moment just glad to be back.

I've a lot of catching up to do with other folks threads.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 11

Spent some time going over this post and marveling at the high quality of work you have done so far on this kit.  I have the Airfix version with the complete set of White Ensign updates taunting me to try and attempt to put all that detail in a kit and then hide it away forever.  I truly appreciate and admire the skills you have shown on this build.  Look forward to more posts.  I also will check out TonyT's build of this kit as I have not been on this forum for far too long and have missed far too much. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Good to see you back on it like a car bonnet Alistair,  good luck in your new home too fella.  Is the garage a temp modelling area ?

Good to see some colour going on 

Chris

Thanks Chris,

The garage is only set up as a spraying area at the moment but once I get it cleared out and free some more space up it'll be the main modelling area.

1 hour ago, georgeusa said:

Spent some time going over this post and marveling at the high quality of work you have done so far on this kit.  I have the Airfix version with the complete set of White Ensign updates taunting me to try and attempt to put all that detail in a kit and then hide it away forever.  I truly appreciate and admire the skills you have shown on this build.  Look forward to more posts.  I also will check out TonyT's build of this kit as I have not been on this forum for far too long and have missed far too much. 

Thanks so much that really is extremely kind of you.

I'll try to get posts in more regularly.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

Glad to see you got the move done & dusted, and great choice of test album! My Mk.III has stayed very near the top of the stash...

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

Good to see you back at the bench Alistair and glad the move has been completed successfully. I was in Wonderland last week, saw this kit for a very reasonable £15.99 and inspired by your build was very tempted. Then I cleaned my glasses, saw that it was actually £45.99 and my interest abruptly evaporated. I would never have made as good a job of it as you are doing anyway. 

Craig. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Dunny said:

Glad to see you got the move done & dusted, and great choice of test album! My Mk.III has stayed very near the top of the stash...

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger,

Good to hear your Sunderland will be on the go in the near future.

I have always used "Since I've Been Loving You" as my test setup track since I left home for college........... many years ago.

Fantastic album.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Good to see you back at the bench Alistair and glad the move has been completed successfully. I was in Wonderland last week, saw this kit for a very reasonable £15.99 and inspired by your build was very tempted. Then I cleaned my glasses, saw that it was actually £45.99 and my interest abruptly evaporated. I would never have made as good a job of it as you are doing anyway. 

Craig. 

Thanks Craig,

Oooofff that's gone up a bit I got mine for £32 when I bought it.

1 hour ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

I would never have made as good a job of it as you are doing anyway.

Now that is a subject that is open to debate. I'll keep on mangling my way through til the end. :D.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

The bits with the visible seam lines were gently sanded back and then give an application of sprue goo.

This was done on Friday and left to dry thoroughly but when I looked at them through the optivisor today I thought I could see some more was required.

So...

Aaw3mkM.jpg

6rDwuZh.jpg

6rDwuZh.jpg

I took the opportunity to ppp the gaps around the canopy as well.

Xrq1mxv.jpg

YFVmMrK.jpg

Not much of an update but I did promise to be a bit more regular.

Edit: While perusing the pics I noticed the bit of ppp that need a little more smoothing. Couple of swipes with a moistened cotton bud and I think I got it.

Only paint will tell.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 9

Alistair,

Good lord - special mention for attention to seams! The modelling gods shall grant you an easy build for these trying times :jump_fire:,

Cheers,

Roger 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Alistair,

Good lord - special mention for attention to seams! The modelling gods shall grant you an easy build for these trying times :jump_fire:,

Cheers,

Roger 

Thanks Roger,

It'll get there........ eventually.

I thought that the nose seam on my Shackleton gave me some issues last year but these are making life interesting.

The EDSG on top may hide them or it might all shine through, so I am not taking any chances. :fight:.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

And some brush painting perhaps?:poke: :wicked:

Nope, not happening unless it absolutely has to, of course.

The size of this thing means airbrushing otherwise I'd still be at it next year. :rofl2:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, AliGauld said:

when I looked at them through the optivisor today I thought I could see some more was required

Pro tip. smear your Optivisor lenses with Vaseline before checking the seams, you will be amazed at how smooth and undetectable they are. Of course  you have to use the same trick when viewing the finished article.

Glad to see the kitchen shots have survived the move to the new abode. And you'll beat those seams in the end.

Craig.

• Haha 4

Finished the Night shift this morning and got some work done when I surfaced.

nMeRbYV.jpg

Lets see what happens under primer this time.

RhtXv9j.jpg

X3IRwxg.jpg

fouw7Yi.jpg

r4wBusl.jpg

As you can see there's still some work to be done.

Ho Hum.

All this got done whilst waiting for a Ham stock to cook up with the intention of getting a bit more done today but I just got a call from my work and am having to go in tomorrow as the Early Shift has called off sick.

Oh well, I'll get back to it on Friday.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 9

53 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Nearly there now on the fuselage Alistair,  at least yo should get some Overtime modelling funds!!!

Great work 

Chris

Thanks Chris,

Just about there I think.

The extra modelling tokens will come in handy for Perth on the 14th of May.

Probably why I agreed to do it. :whistle:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 2

Looking good Alistair! I'm very close to revving up my Mk.III - it's good to see that it can be built into a great looking model,

Cheers,

Roger

13 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Probably why I agreed to do it. :whistle:

Oh yes!  Very nice timing especially after the expense of house moving. Wish my work did overtime. 

Those seams are gradually being won over by your charm and persistence. It’ll all be over by Christmas. 

Craig. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AliGauld said:

I was googling what’s going on in Perth on 14 May because I may well be there around that time for work…  

Then it occurred to me that you meant Perth, Scotland.

😂

• Haha 5

10 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Oh yes!  Very nice timing especially after the expense of house moving. Wish my work did overtime. 

Those seams are gradually being won over by your charm and persistence. It’ll all be over by Christmas. 

Craig. 

Just not saying which Christmas. :wicked:

9 hours ago, mark.au said:

I was googling what’s going on in Perth on 14 May because I may well be there around that time for work…  

Then it occurred to me that you meant Perth, Scotland.

😂

I got your reply at work but the email didn't show that you'd worked out it wasn't Perth Western Australia, as I believe they say in your part of the world.

Shame though it would have been nice to meet up.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

Filling done and lightly sanded back.

fdEnvfm.jpg

So lets see what the primer shows this time.

oNWn8TK.jpg

tLLxejc.jpg

By George I think he's got it.

Both bits are as smooth as the proverbial and now it'll be on to my favourite pastime :wall: scribing.

That's always assuming I can remember where I put the DymoTape. :oops:

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 10