First We Take Manhattan.... Special Hobby 1/72 Short Sunderland Mk. V - Finally Finished

AliGauld

48 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Looks great so far Alistair.  There’s more parts for the interior of this one than for my entire current Airfix Spitfire !

Thanks very much.

Every time i turn the page I think it'll be closer to fitting the interior into the fuselage but it keeps showing me more bits to paint and fit. :D

Truthfully there are only one or two more things to be looked at and they have alternate positions depending on whether the front turret is retracted or not and I haven't decided on that yet.

Cheers,

Alistair

1 minute ago, GlueDad said:

I built the Airfix version when I was a boy, and I still remember that I loved it. I’m going to follow along if that’s okay?

Chris. 

Hi Chris,

You are most welcome.

Pull up a comfy chair.

Cheers,

Alistair

Wow Ali, she really is shaping up to be a gorgeous beast! Congratulations on that beautiful interior! I have a Sunderland build in my long-term plans (Anthony can probably guess which) so this is inspirational stuff.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Wow Ali, she really is shaping up to be a gorgeous beast! Congratulations on that beautiful interior! I have a Sunderland build in my long-term plans (Anthony can probably guess which) so this is inspirational stuff.

Thanks very much.

I hope this build will help when you do yours.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Thanks 1

A very light brown wash and then a matt coat, then some internals glued in.

OKlRFlS.jpg

3uNdUjL.jpg

Later on in the afternoon I started to glue the internals to the fuselage.

This took a while as the fit wasn't perfect. There seems to be a slight warp in the fuselage and my placement of th decks and walls has not been perfect.

Some hours later we have this.

vZ5DdDM.jpg

Dcmm3b6.jpg

I have given the other side a very ginger and delicate dry fit and although the fit isn't perfect it will go together with a little light persuasion.

I'll try that tomorrow once all the glue has had time to cure a bit.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 27

8 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

That's looking super. Rapid progress.

Thanks so much.

It's coming together a little quicker than I imagined but something will happen to slow things down at some point soon.

Cheers,

Alistair

Tape and glue liberally applied. 

SK8lB1Y.jpg

The nose has been the only major problem area.

The front parts are of two different thicknesses and have been tricky to close.

One bit did break but it should be nothing that a little filling sanding and patience can't cure when the glue has cured.

13kC4Ka.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 11

43 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh wow Alistair   this has come on very quickly indeed,  interior look good . Shame about the fit at the front, but with some gentle persuasion it will be fine.  You'll have this done next week!!! :whistle:

Great work 

Chris

Thanks Chris,

It's nothing a little filling and sanding can't solve.

I'll keep on at it until she's done, next month maybe.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AliGauld said:

One bit did break but it should be nothing that a little filling sanding and patience can't cure when the glue has cured.

Certainly easier than taking Manhattan! 😊

I always celebrate closing the fuselage because that’s when things start to take shape, and one step closer to painting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Certainly easier than taking Manhattan! 😊

I always celebrate closing the fuselage because that’s when things start to take shape, and one step closer to painting.

Thanks Mark,

That's the kind of positivity that makes me feel better.

Cheers,

Alistair 

• Like 2

No, folks I haven't forgotten or given up on this one.

I've been stuck in the fill, sand repeat loop.

I've now got the fuselage to where I think it's ok and have put the keel insert in this morning.

Now I had heard that this was problematic but Oh Dear Bod.

I appear not only to have a warp in the fuselage but a twist as well.

I'm fairly sure this isn't all operator error but you never know.

bCqif5N.jpg

Oh yes I did break various small bit off due to my cack-handedness.

They can be sorted easily though.

Now, the keel.

LZMuvUX.jpg

wXCbQRh.jpg

I've got a thin file holding the piece up on the starboard side until the glue dries and I can then shim the offending gaps and get it filled and smooth.

I'm going to have to reprofile the piece slightly to get things to line up so that it doesn't have a kink that's worse than the Kinghorn Tunnel.

If I'm sounding a little negative I'm not. I knew this was going to be a bit of a bear but if the keel is that bad then I'm in for bother on the top fuselage piece.

All good fun really.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 20

Look on the bright side. Maybe all the twisting and fettling you’re having to do to get the keel to fit will set up the fuselage perfectly to accept the top bit? Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go and scare all those flying pigs off the bird feeder. 

Still looking great though. 

Craig. 

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Look on the bright side. Maybe all the twisting and fettling you’re having to do to get the keel to fit will set up the fuselage perfectly to accept the top bit? Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go and scare all those flying pigs off the bird feeder. 

Still looking great though. 

Craig. 

Fully agree 

Pink Floyd - Animals tracks 1 & 5 (CD Version) :whistle:

or if you are an older music fan Side 1 Track 1 and Side 2 Track 3

Cheers,

Alistair

Phase 1 has been completed.

eEBheKO.jpg

Now more filler for phase 2

IVypMjC.jpg

NaprlWt.jpg

More filler has been applied to the necessary bits and I'm hoping it should be enough but if it gets as far as Lynne Frederick appearing then I may scream or at least be very passive aggressive towards the keel.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

Hi Ali,

I'm looking your struggle with great interest and like your model very much. Sunderland is among my favourite airplanes. I have Italeri but after long hours spending polishing all surfaces and trying rescribe all panel lines I'm getting closer and closer for decision... leave her and wait for Special Hobby's Mk. II (I want do plane with "porcupine" radars and full interior is important factor for me too). I know Special Hobby is demanding model and have some bad points too but despite it I think the final effect could be much better. So I wish you luck with your build and wait for future upgrades!

Regards,

Michał

Edited by socjo1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, socjo1 said:

Hi Ali,

I'm looking your struggle with great interest and like your model very much. Sunderland is among my favourite airplanes. I have Italeri but after long hours spending polishing all surfaces and trying rescribe all panel lines I'm getting closer and closer for decision... leave her and wait for Special Hobby's Mk. II (I want do plane with "porcupine" radars and full interior is important factor for me too). I know Special Hobby is demanding model and have some bad points too but despite it I think the final effect could be much better. So I wish you luck with your build and wait for future upgrades!

Regards,

Michał

Thanks Michal,

I knew it was a "challenging" kit when I started and am still enjoying it.

It's been a little more work than I thought it was going to be but I'm sure that errors on my part have caused the difficulties.

I'll keep it going until it's finished however long it takes.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

There's just a little work still needing done.

chcXzOe.jpg

Filler has been applied.

Now, while I was sanding this bit Mr. heavy-handed and clumsy here cracked a seam on the top.

So, as the filler was out it was re-glued and then filled for sanding later.

Not much more I can do at the moment so I got the top piece off the sprue for a dry fit to see how bad it was going to be and, well, insert Blackadder Fishfork moment here...............

343I0TZ.jpg

XiExpvZ.jpg

On perusal, if I get the rear part glued first and when dry get the front part in with a little clamp to spread it out a tad it looks like all the panel lines will line up and just a smearing of filler around the edges.

That's the plan at the moment.

It could change when glue is involved. :fingerscrossed:

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 15

This one’s really fighting you!  Could you put a sprue spreader in instead?  That would set it up for a clampless fit and perhaps give a better shot at lining everything up nicely.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Fingers crossed it goes okay on that top bit and you beat the bottom bit into submission,  great work fella. 

Chris

Thanks Chris,

We'll get there.

40 minutes ago, mark.au said:

This one’s really fighting you!  Could you put a sprue spreader in instead?  That would set it up for a clampless fit and perhaps give a better shot at lining everything up nicely.

Thanks Mark,

That is a far more elegant solution.

I'll give it a go.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

A last photo of the rear internals as they will be nigh on invisible once the top is on.

sI75u24.jpg

F2p75J6.jpg

And they're gone.

aDn3kFz.jpg

BfBx2Un.jpg

Thanks to @mark.au for the spreader sprue suggestion I've managed to get the top on and keep the panel lines fairly well matched.

The glue can cure overnight and then it's back to fill, sand and repeat, but it's beginning to get there.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 15