First We Take Manhattan.... Special Hobby 1/72 Short Sunderland Mk. V - Finally Finished

AliGauld

The supports for the floats have finally been painted and the floats themselves have had a little weathering to match the hull.

PfJh6eV.jpg

f3dU8ye.jpg

lJm44uD.jpg

Turrets unmasked.

OXDvtEO.jpg

KMp4WHF.jpg

The final decals have been put on the fuselage after the pva masking was taken out of the portholes and the engines and cowlings were glued into place.

Az8S8yS.jpg

ElITUlJ.jpg

They will need softening tonight to get the carrier film to wrap around.

The turret cover has also been placed in the nose.

And I just had to.....

YkP6oJf.jpg

tdrSifV.jpg

Getting closer, even if I don't want to think about it and jinx it again.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 19

57 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Looking good.  Moving inexorably to a finish Alistair, just keep the thinners away and she’ll be right (a bit of Aussie lingo there for luck).

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Looking good.  Moving inexorably to a finish Alistair, just keep the thinners away and she’ll be right (a bit of Aussie lingo there for luck).

Thanks Mark,

Thinners are currently in a locked vault in a safe dug into the middle of the floor with an Acme 1 ton weight placed on top.

Taking no chances. :lol:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 6

16 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Thinners are currently in a locked vault in a safe dug into the middle of the floor with an Acme 1 ton weight placed on top.

Taking no chances. 

:rofl2: brilliant,  I feel there should be a mention of Roadrunner and Wiley Kayote  with the Safe and Acme one Tonne weight!!!

Great work on the Sunderland Alistair , the turrets have turned out very well and it's looking gorgeous. 

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

:rofl2: brilliant,  I feel there should be a mention of Roadrunner and Wiley Kayote  with the Safe and Acme one Tonne weight!!!

Great work on the Sunderland Alistair , the turrets have turned out very well and it's looking gorgeous. 

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I was leaning into the Wile E. Coyote arena but couldn't remember the keyboard short cut for the ™️ symbol.

Glad you picked up on it though.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 3

Looks fab. The crisp white framing of the turrets really enhances the look of it.

Remember, just when you think you have got a foolproof contraption supplied by Acme there will be a loose stick of dynamite, a cliff and a train tunnel just around the corner!

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 6

Thanks Adrian,

16 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Remember, just when you think you have got a foolproof contraption supplied by Acme there will be a loose stick of dynamite, a cliff and a train tunnel just around the corner!

You had to say it didn't you. :worry:

Of course if something horrible does happen now I can do the manly thing and blame somebody else for my failings, so, thanks again. :D

Cheeers,

Alistair

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, AliGauld said:

As the entire forum awaits with baited breath 😬

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

In preparation for a matt coat all over I started to attach some of the various sticky out bits and get her on her feet.

0VvEN1C.jpg

WWTiBqM.jpg

OPlpx6g.jpg

Then I noticed I'd lost an exhaust.

After much scrambling about in the wold all over the floor I found it in my chair.

So, it was popped back on.

uWInSh7.jpg

I must have been a bit heavy handed in placing the front turret cover and have cracked a seam.

ASmUmNJ.jpg

I 've sanded back a little on that and it will get the CA/Talc treatment and then some paint.

Still to do.

Fit the final bits of beaching gear, some aerials on the top and cheeks, PE on the wings and two little bits on the underside of the wings.

Matt coat then the turrets and rear turret fairing can go on.

Tender strike marks will be done with weathering pencils after the matt, exhaust staining, rigging the floats and aerials and then Krystal Klear in the portholes.

Hmmm, still a way to go.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 18

49 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

I must have been a bit heavy handed in placing the front turret cover and have cracked a seam.

It’s still got some fight left in it then!  Just when you thought you’d got it completely on side… That’s why we call them “she”.

Notwithstanding the remaining resistance, she’s looking very nice indeed Alistair.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

I 've sanded back a little on that and it will get the CA/Talc treatment and then some paint.

Still to do.

Fit the final bits of beaching gear, some aerials on the top and cheeks, PE on the wings and two little bits on the underside of the wings.

Matt coat then the turrets and rear turret fairing can go on.

Tender strike marks will be done with weathering pencils after the matt, exhaust staining, rigging the floats and aerials and then Krystal Klear in the portholes.

Ach not giving up without a fight, is it? Good job keeping level headed, I've lost count of the number of times I would've bailed out of this one. I find whenever I get to that point of making a 'final home stretch list', it always ends up much longer than I expect. I haven't quite cracked how to enjoy that bit. Keep it up, it's looking great!

Andy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, mark.au said:

It’s still got some fight left in it then!  Just when you thought you’d got it completely on side… That’s why we call them “she”.

Notwithstanding the remaining resistance, she’s looking very nice indeed Alistair.  

Thanks Mark,

I get the feeling she's going to put up as much resistance as possible to crossing the finish line.

I'm now too stubborn and to focused to give up. :D

16 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

Ach not giving up without a fight, is it? Good job keeping level headed, I've lost count of the number of times I would've bailed out of this one. I find whenever I get to that point of making a 'final home stretch list', it always ends up much longer than I expect. I haven't quite cracked how to enjoy that bit. Keep it up, it's looking great!

Andy

Thanks Andy,

That finish list is always longer than you think and I struggle to enjoy the last few bits of it.

It's partly the impatience of wanting it done and the fear of making a complete stuff up in the end.

Stiil,

CA/Talc, masking and paint have been done.

URuHBz7.jpg

I'll take that. :penguin:

It's such a wonderful feeling when you've completely messed something up but you manage to save it.

No wonder this hobby is so good for your mental health.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Well recovered Alistair,  looking great too.

Slow and steady with the final bits and she will look awesome fella.

Great work 

Chris

Thanks Chris,

It's all very small steps and being very careful at the moment.

All the bits to fit the cheek and roof aerials were fitted yesterday along with the PE aileron actuators.

They may get a lick of paint today but they are getting time to settle and cure first.

16 hours ago, brianthemodeller said:

I’ve been watching quietly from the back but thought it was time to say thank you. As I can’t build models myself anymore (sensitivity to the solvents), it is really inspiring to watch builds like this one - particularly with all the hurdles you have had to overcome.

Thanks very much,

That is extremely kind of you.

I will say that the majority of the hurdles have been entirely self inflicted.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

On 24/08/2022 at 22:09, AliGauld said:

No wonder this hobby is so good for your mental health.

Ain't that the truth! I love that these little demons pop up to the last, but think of the satisfaction when this wonderful build is finally finished!

Edited by Dunny
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

👏👏👏 Bravo. I had a bit of a mammoth catch up and have seen this Phoenix rise from the ashes. She’s looking even better than before. I admire Your tenacity and look forward to the final few steps.

Great work.

Johnny.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/24/2022 at 9:47 PM, brianthemodeller said:

I’ve been watching quietly from the back but thought it was time to say thank you. As I can’t build models myself anymore (sensitivity to the solvents), it is really inspiring to watch builds like this one - particularly with all the hurdles you have had to overcome.

:ditto:

Every time I read a thread like this I'm inspired by the tenacity of the builder to win through. To balance the karma I also get angry at 'reviewers' who never hint at any issues with a kit, what that must do to those who splash the cash and can't finish the build I shudder to think.

This is an inspiring build thread and your persistence is about to be rewarded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Dunny said:

Ain't that the truth! I love that these little demons pop up to the last, but think of the satisfaction when this wonderful build is finally finished!

Thanks Roger,

Trying not to think of the finish as I feel this may have a surprise left for me yet. :D

7 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

👏👏👏 Bravo. I had a bit of a mammoth catch up and have seen this Phoenix rise from the ashes. She’s looking even better than before. I admire Your tenacity and look forward to the final few steps.

Great work.

Johnny.

Thanks Johnny,

That is very kind.

Not sure about tenacity. It's more stubbornness, I think.

5 hours ago, SleeperService said:

:ditto:

Every time I read a thread like this I'm inspired by the tenacity of the builder to win through. To balance the karma I also get angry at 'reviewers' who never hint at any issues with a kit, what that must do to those who splash the cash and can't finish the build I shudder to think.

This is an inspiring build thread and your persistence is about to be rewarded.

Thanks so much.

To be fair I knew that being special Hobby there would be certain challenges with the kit but I have made it more of a trek with my own errors.

Cheers,

Alistair 

• Like 3

The last few sticky out bits minus the aerials and PE have been glued on.

I then did some exhaust staining with Nato Black, Medium Seay Grey which was then toned down with several misty coats of highly thinned EDSG, then it was time for a matt coat.

4pWStzZ.jpg

xwm4QI5.jpg

NRWythw.jpg

LSiv48N.jpg

IVFjPQB.jpg

Some light chipping on the props and a satin coat.

bC37tRU.jpg

So, once it's all dried I'll get the portholes done, rig some aerial wires, fit the turrets, the tail turret fairings and the three aerials to go on the sticky out bits.

Oh, and I'll need to unmask the canopy and astrodome

And that should be about that.

More later,

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Dunny said:

Alistair,

The exhaust staining is just the ticket - lovely work mate. Not long now,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger.

I overdid it a bit again but the misted EDSG has knocked it back to something acceptable.

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks Awesome Alistair,  great work on this, lovely staining.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I've just spent a lovely hour rigging up the floats.

Just one of those times when it doesn't just go right.

Still that's done now and I'll let that settle a bit and do the aerials.

More later,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

This is the state of play this evening,

All the rigging has been done, props and turrets fitted.

The canopy has been unmasked.

I had started to fit the nav lights to the wingtips and the starboard one pinged off somewhere into the ether.

I scrambled about for about an hour with a strong torch trying desperately to find it to no avail. 

I had two thoughts as to how I was going to fix this.

One I could glue a bit of clear sprue in the correct place and then shape and polish it, or,

Two I cut a small piece of sprue drilled a hole and put some clear green in and then fitted this in place.

When that had started to cure I filled the rest of the area with Krystal Klear.

I have no idea if this will work but it will save a lot of damage getting done shaping the clear piece.

I'll see what it looks like tomorrow and decide whether it's good enough or I need to go the other way.

I knew she would throw one last surprise in my direction.

Anyway here are some pics.

iVHksUU.jpg

FVLvpKu.jpg

b08D1Ga.jpg

aoo5Tdi.jpg

6TmOn48.jpg

tU0hC3E.jpg

Still to do.

Check the Nav light tomorrow.

Fit the final aerials

Unmask the Astrodome

Tender strike weathering.