Vulcanicity's Shackleton MR.2

Your Shack is lovely

Despite your misgivings it has turned out really worthy. Well done. 

Down side is, you  have convinced and inspired me to start my Revell AEW kit I have had in my stash the last few years. It will go to my bench in the new year I reckon. 😺

That turned out beautifully Phil, and I'm so glad the airbrush proved useful!

I can't believe that you cut down the walkway lines by hand! They turned out perfect.

A truly inspiring build.

On 12/24/2021 at 10:23 AM, Fritag said:

(any spare 3D printer’s you don’t need :rofl2:)

Ha! My work did just purchase one, and maybe they'll need to upgrade one day...

Thanks everyone - much appreciated! To be honest this build did feel a bit of a slog so my initial reaction to finishing was just relief, but the more I look at it the more pleased I am :)

On 12/24/2021 at 9:23 PM, David H said:

Not sure if we're on exactly the same wavelength, but i too am one of those "luddites" that emphasizes the exterior details that are most readily visible. I try not to go down the rabbit hole of throwing resin aftermarket into interiors, unless i have to. I'm definitely a painter, not a super-detailer.

Haha I know what you mean, I do very much enjoy going to town on interiors, but I have to pick my battles as it just takes too long. In this case the visibility was so poor and my interior references (despite

owning several books on the Shackleton) so non-existent I chickened out! I do always like to try and look critically at my references and make the exterior details as accurate as possible, because as you say this is the work you will look back on and notice every time.

On 12/25/2021 at 12:38 AM, stever219 said:

It’s not really correction work; the Airfix Shack is essentially accurate but there are a lot of variations between the various Phases within Marks.  Any kit manufacturer has to draw the line somewhere when dealing with these otherwise tooling costs will rise dramatically and returns will diminish accordingly.  Also all of the Mk. 2 Shackletons that Airfix would have had access to had been converted to AEW configuration, although WR963 at least has been partially de-converted back towards MR. 2 standard.  As it turned out Airfix had planned for an AEW boxing of the kit so the AEW-specificities airframe mods were appropriate for [one of] the kit(s).

This is exactly it...the Airfix kit is heavily based on WR963 which still retains most of the accumulated small details (vents, aerials etc) from the AEW2 and before that, the Phase 3 MR2. The aircraft was in service for about twenty years in the maritime role alone, and across the three major upgrades there were a massive amount of small changes. I found that once I had got my head round the major visible changes (loss of the dorsal tur

ret around Phase 1; introduction of Orange Harvest ECM aerial at Phase 2, and introduction of the cabin heater/air conditioning intakes on the rear fuselage at Phase 3), and could then confidently identify most photos to a given Phase mod state, I could start to investigate the appearance and removal of smaller, subtler details and draw up a sketch of what needed removing and adding to match my chosen build date.

On 12/24/2021 at 6:23 PM, Fritag said:

Welcome to the world of airbrush-cleaning and paint thinning angst :whistle:  Lovely finish on the Shack bodes well tho’ :D

Thanks matey, to be frank I am still finding it quite alarming and daunting but I am trying to stick to simple one-colour schemes (with easy masking jobs!) for the moment, and learn the ropes gradually. I'm also trying to see it not as a compulsory replacement for the old paintbrush, but rather as a very helpful additional tool for situations where brush painting is tricky, particularly for colours which are hard to get even brush coverage, varnishing, etc; rather than letting myself become a slave to it. My next project is a silver Canberra with yellow Suez stripes, both applications where I think it will give me a major edge.

I think I will be using the old paintbrushes liberally in a supporting role for a long while yet though!

On 12/25/2021 at 8:41 AM, alhenderson said:

Every time I see one I'm tempted to do another for some reason 😲 

Do it! If time and money were no object I'd love to try an MR.1 conversion in the white scheme.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, The Shearwater said:

VERY tidy build! I have the Revell version in the stash but slightly intimidated by the size, compared with my usual fighter-sized 1:72 stuff. Nice to see results like yours, which inspire.

She's a big girl, but both the Airfix MR.2 and Revell MR.3 build fairly easily, with no big surprises. I say get inspired to build her!

Best Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

Missed this when it first arrived , Got to agree with you 100% about detailing interiors that will never be seen, particularly impressed by that aerial fit and the impact those cannons give to the front end, dread to think of the impact firing them on the airframe would have despite the already ongoing vibration.

Lovely finish, good luck with the on going airbrush skills, it only gets better ....

:clap: