Christmas Conundrum. What is this?

Smudge

I have an old resin and etch upgrade set for a 1/72 F-8 Crusader, and whilst sorting out the den/stash I thought I'd have a look at it with a view to making a start on an old Heller kit. Looking through the resin parts I noticed that some parts were in a different colour resin, and did not seem to belong on an F-8. Well not that I can see anyway.

I have no idea what they might belong to, any ideas anyone?

2021-12-05_09-33-53

2021-12-19_05-34-22

Maybe they belong to another Cold War type? possibly Navy guessing by the tie down rings on the wheels?

Be interested to know what people think.

Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year :santa:

The oval shaped item looks like it could be, not definitely, could be, for a doppler nav radome or some other type of avionics radome.

Later,

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Biggles81. Yes I think you have nailed it there.

I have Googled images of RAN S-70's and there seems to be quite a few variations of lumps and bumps on different aircraft. I can definitely see some of those bits.

Thanks for your help.

On 12/30/2021 at 8:04 PM, Smudge said:

Hi Biggles81. Yes I think you have nailed it there.

I have Googled images of RAN S-70's and there seems to be quite a few variations of lumps and bumps on different aircraft. I can definitely see some of those bits.

Thanks for your help.

The giveaway was the six tube sonobouy launcher which sits behind the radome. Also there is a 1991 Gulf War EWSP pod - can be seen in the linked photo. The S-70B2s had a bunch of upgrades and new bumps added - this looks like it was a Gulf War conversion from Aviation Workshop/Hawkeye. 

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C308801 (RAN S-70B2 1991)

• Thanks 1

On 01/01/2022 at 09:19, Biggles81 said:

The giveaway was the six tube sonobouy launcher which sits behind the radome. Also there is a 1991 Gulf War EWSP pod -

Ahh, so that's what those bits are. The EWSP is quite distinctive.

@Biggles81 Thanks again for your help.