Bell Huey STGB...

heloman1

Hi Everyone. A long time (I think) since we had a Huey build.

Who is up for it? Looks like it will only be 2023 if we successfully get the nod!

One rule, it must be in the lineage Bell UH-1 any variant, any scale.

Colin

• Like 1

Hmm I’d say count me in. I’m not terribly into helicopters, I’ve built one ( a Hind) and a half ( an Apache currently languishing on my shelf of doom) since returning to modelling, but the Huey reminds me of my childhood, for some reason I remember getting a kit on several birthdays over the years, funnily enough I don’t remember building them!

Hi guys, you are all very welcome. Lets see if I can swell the numbers over the next few weeks.

I have  a number of ideas from a Vietnam ship (to go with my Brown Water Navy LPH), all the way up to a 'Big Lifter' that the Iranians had built.

Colin

• 3 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity does this include cobras, as the originals used a lot of the same components. Engine, skids, tail boom, and rotor. I think they just designed the new fuselage  and bolted the rest to it. From Wiki. 

The AH-1 was developed using the engine, transmission and rotor system of the Bell UH-1 Iroquois

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

I was thinking along the same lines as Dennis.

I'm not sure how the UH-1 & AH-1 could be combined into a single STGB...... though if you look at a Spitfire STGB, the airframe changes were very noticeable over and that's not looking at the Seafire or Griffon variants. (not sure if we could use this excuse)

I'm only mentioning this as I know how hard it can be to get GB/STGB's or the line, if there was some way the 2 could be combined, I would suspect there would be great interest. Could always ask Enzo for his thoughts/approval?

But nice to see the UH-1 as an STGB idea. :thumbsup:  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/21/2022 at 10:58 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Just out of curiosity does this include cobras, as the originals used a lot of the same components. Engine, skids, tail boom, and rotor. I think they just designed the new fuselage  and bolted the rest to it. From Wiki. 

The AH-1 was developed using the engine, transmission and rotor system of the Bell UH-1 Iroquois

Hi, nice idea but I think we'll keep this one Huey, maybe start a GB thread of your own , I'd certainly join in, especially with the new 48th kit promised this year.

Colin

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/21/2022 at 11:10 PM, trickyrich said:

I'm not sure how the UH-1 & AH-1 could be combined into a single STGB

It was done last time there was a UH-1 GB.

On 1/21/2022 at 8:58 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Just out of curiosity does this include cobras, as the originals used a lot of the same components. Engine, skids, tail boom, and rotor. I think they just designed the new fuselage  and bolted the rest to it

As Dennis says, without the Huey the Cobra wouldn't have existed.

Just my thoughts, its your GB Colin so its your choice.

Oh and you can add my name to the list, got a Huey or two (and a couple of Cobras 😉) in the stash.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 6:41 AM, modelling minion said:

It was done last time there was a UH-1 GB.

I think this part of some cunning plan to lure me into buying the new ICM AH-1G Cobra and joining this build!!!! 

You know my powers to resist are legendary........ I will not fall into this trap!!!!  And no I have not looked on evilly to how much they are going for or to see what AM stuff is available!!!  

:lalala:

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I think this part of some cunning plan to lure me into buying the new ICM AH-1G Cobra and joining this build!!!! 

You know my powers to resist are legendary........ I will not fall into this trap!!!!  And no I have not looked on evilly to how much they are going for or to see what AM stuff is available!!!  

:lalala:

Ah yes, the legendary Trickyrich willpower, or lack of it!

I might have succumbed to the Special Hobby 1/48 AH-1G, can't possibly confirm that.😉

🇺🇦

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/23/2022 at 1:18 AM, modelling minion said:

I might have succumbed to the Special Hobby 1/48 AH-1G, can't possibly confirm that.😉

That's the spirit!  :thumbsup:

I'll keep an eye on this.  If the Cobra is in, then I've already got another 1/72 SH G in the stash.....though I suspect I'd probably want to do a proper Huey, which means I'll have to find another kit.  Sounds like a good excuse for a Venom.  :wicked:

The prior Cobra.  I bought the second kit for the decals that I bungled up on this one.  :doh:

50277471112_7eee1df1f6_c.jpg

• Like 3