Calum's 2021 Builds

Calum

Well 2021 is pretty much done.  I don't see me finishing any of my current builds before the end of the year so it's time for the usual recap of the years efforts.

Another pandemic affected year with a two month lockdown in the middle meant I did get a bit of time at the bench.  That said I didn't get through as many builds as I'd hoped, This was partially because jets dominated my attention this year and they just take more time than props. 

This years tally included seven aircraft and one armour piece, all in 1/48.   If you are interested in more of any builds the titles link to an article on my blog.  But enough waffle, on to the builds

Hasegawa A-4K Skyhawk of No. 75 Sqn RNZAF

Those of you who know me know I worked on these for a while so the subject is close to my heart.  

AVvXsEiXOrw8IZKYhamfO-B7x5uFlRxeTbXx_dec

AVvXsEjAiTe77Vskpnt-Lb6o5Snte9JARZD0Ssyt

AVvXsEiC94DkmqZUcAk9fKi8yUm3RApHfpsRtFo6

1/48 Eduard North American P-51D Mustang - Master Mike

This is my second Eduard P-51D. After the first one (see here) caused me a few issues, (the decals anyway) I decided I wanted to have another go - partly to see if it was me and partly as the Hasegawa Skyhawks were dragging me down at the time.

AVvXsEi520At3hHzC-GvtYT4BpA7ghxquoE_n9n_

AVvXsEjAWcf4-csCx3u-1YYtkA1mVjceV4_-demk

AVvXsEg62zB5YeSfgIwb0uVlGAu1GFZqN6XNEqw9

1/48 Hasegawa Douglas TA-4K Skyhawk - No. 2 Sqn RNZAF

Next was the second Hasegawa Skyhawk.  This time T-bird depicted as a 2 Sqn aircraft base at HMAS Albatross in Australia. 

AVvXsEgFVBLkMLKp7t9wErgF3GE1FEJV_9fT_AGg

AVvXsEho6RNhYShWh9gZxadkRU6CKypAH6UFUV-E

AVvXsEgAdwLeLa-imz39zwiXIHXGNzlbX2BbgLyf

1/48 Kinetic Mitsubishi F-104J Starfighter 202 Sqn JASDF

This was a quick palette cleanser. It was excellent build and made me want to build more.

AVvXsEgk0QSTbxc6yj-Mb5mIUcmAMS-dt7r8Um3a

AVvXsEjIMAPDy13rHOKkZYeXu53UYFavWTvBVOEx

AVvXsEgwJ-4rttR59Osrl-O_fBDAXynfkg1Qg0gl

1/48 Airfix Bristol Blenheim Mk 1F - No 25 Sqn RAF

I have a thing for early war RAF subjects so the Blenheim was right up my alley.  Overall it's a decent build .  I'd love to see a Blenheim MK IV from Airfix.  

AVvXsEhAGaWzkq46KE9ddPMFx4uZ_KX0Hl40NYcd

AVvXsEgd0Cg27wuz0aassChNZwIeUTanvvn0FoFF

AVvXsEixkDAikeNb4BhTL8KMvkldBIGUGr5fLZoY

1/48 Tamiya T-34/76 - Tank No. 106 - Recon Platoon - 1st Regiment - Eastern Front 1944

The only armour piece for the year. I had a couple things I wanted to try on this build, those being multi colour hairspray chipping and a muddy. . I was really happy with the outcome.

AVvXsEjD9yH9T8qi7tIz59tAtm2DCJaYXb2Q6GyM

AVvXsEhBzcKUHJfnC6u7lpiOm-6A2D-SfK_FnKuO

AVvXsEgjKp5BvwKkKnZoUCkO8s0bWs0GgMrcgAr0

1/48 Tamiya Lockheed Martin F-16C Viper - Arctic Aggressor

I'd been wanting to do this scheme for ages.  I had a bit of an issue with the SMS light tan paint which set me back but overall it came out ok.   

AVvXsEj9Vyg3hi5eMsFRqA5EVDrxFowEc9BZGodO

AVvXsEgr_0GnjkZmrDxJ0zUT3PzjHZxd5zAcRA3S

AVvXsEipA53-5q9BRq5KV1cXHunwhrVqFwNpdXPy

1/48 Eduard Messerschmitt Bf 109E-4B - 6 Staffel LG 2

Another palette cleanser to finish the year.  I managed to knock it off in less than month.  It was also an experiment to try out the "new" Eduard Decals .  I wrote an article on my experiences with those decals here.

AVvXsEjmxD8vf34DvMP6-z8acS_-RlIbSYL8kVgV

AVvXsEhe5XurUbhCMYqHKOTNhEyf0iZr-A-Hj905

AVvXsEgtMah-QD_pLd-bUn-qNkxjDxmVqlGBRHz3

Well if you got this far down,  thanks for looking . As for 2022, well I've got another Skyhawk on the go, a Su-122 and I have to do a Eduard Mk 1 Spitfire as part of a buddy build with a mate

Edited by Calum
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1

That is a stunning collection for 2021. I can see why you love the Skyhawk, those two Skyhawks are perfection.

Really like your thick brown wet mud effect on the T34/76 & the tank itself looks superb. Also like the rough, what looks like stippled weathering on the Blenheim.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...