1/72 F-86 kit with F-40 long wing? (for Norwegian Sabre)

opus999

1 hour ago, Hook said:

Perhaps you already have a set, but if not, would some spare Heller decals for 53-1151 / FN-A be useful? 

Cheeers,

Andre 

Thanks for the kind offer, Andre, but as a matter of fact, I have three sets of decals from Heller Sabre kits with the Norwegian markings!

Mike

• Like 2

15 hours ago, opus999 said:

Strange.  I'm looking at the print page 45 with the profile and it says "after 1960".

I just read print page 44 (pdf page 45) and now I see what you're talking about.  I guess that's what I get for reading the short version!

This is one "problem" with these monographs. The historical texts and aircraft lists by Bjørn Hafsten are generally very well researched and should be reliable. While the captions, profile drawings and the colour & markings stuff suffer from lack of quality control.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 10:22 PM, 72modeler said:

@opus999,

Fujimi did a couple of boxings of F-86F's with F-40 wings; don't know how hard they are to come by, as Fujimi has never seen fit to re-release any of their 1/72 Sabres, IIRC. Kit numbers for some of their F-40 Sabre kits were: F36, F58, F21, and F33, All of the Fujimi Sabre kits had recessed panel lines. Hope this helps.

Mike

You can also look for old yellow Testors boxes, as they used to boxed Fujimi Sabres

Cheers

Armando

On 12/26/2021 at 12:50 PM, opus999 said:

I decided that Fujimi was the way to go and I went over to ebay.  Nice to see they're available, but I sure get chapped when shipping costs more than the kit -- especially when it's coming from Canada, which is on the same continent for pete's sake!

Jajajajajajjajajajajajajaj LOL that made my afternoon it's hilarious for me. I stoped buying from North America (meaning Canada and USA) as it cost the double for the same stuff (meaning weight) coming from Europe but better buy from Hannants or Kingkit directly

Regards

Armando

PS Lucky me I have some Fujimi F-40 at the stash

• Like 1

On 12/29/2021 at 6:58 AM, RAGATIGER said:

Fujimi did a couple of boxings of F-86F's with F-40 wings; don't know how hard they are to come by, as Fujimi has never seen fit to re-release any of their 1/72 Sabres, IIRC

Not entirely true. Fujimi did do a re-issue in 2014 (according to the net) of their Sabre kit. It included 2 decal sheets, one being the sheet from their original 'Blue Impulse' boxing.  18 months ago they were available from places like Plaza Hobbies, but now stock has run out.

At the time I did not purchase any as I have a stock of the Hobbycraft (now Academy owned) moulds. I would have purchased the RF-86 kit with the camera bulges on the fuselage side as Hobbycraft did not do that version AFAIK, but Fujimi did not re-issue that one.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Hornet133 said:

Not entirely true. Fujimi did do a re-issue in 2014 (according to the net) of their Sabre kit. It included 2 decal sheets, one being the sheet from their original 'Blue Impulse' boxing.  18 months ago they were available from places like Plaza Hobbies, but now stock has run out.

At the time I did not purchase any as I have a stock of the Hobbycraft (now Academy owned) moulds. I would have purchased the RF-86 kit with the camera bulges on the fuselage side as Hobbycraft did not do that version AFAIK, but Fujimi did not re-issue that one.

I also had these boxes

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/fujimi-72190-f-86f-blue-impulse-61--1239451 and this one is a two kit edition and this one

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/fujimi-f-20-north-american-rockwell-rf-86f-sabre--162026 so if you interested on the RF parts maybe we can arrange a deal

Regards

Armando

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2021 at 7:32 AM, RAGATIGER said:

I also had these boxes

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/fujimi-72190-f-86f-blue-impulse-61--1239451 and this one is a two kit edition and this one

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/fujimi-f-20-north-american-rockwell-rf-86f-sabre--162026 so if you interested on the RF parts maybe we can arrange a deal

Regards

Armando

Armando -- Thanks!  I didn't see this until now and I've already received a Fujimi kit that will fit the bill.  I appreciate the offer though!

As mentioned in the last post, I received the Fujimi no. F-21  kit in the mail.  Naturally I had to compare to the HobbyBoss kit to see how different the HB wing was.  Wow, it's even worse than I thought.  In case it isn't obvious, in the pictures below, the grey plastic is HobbyBoss and the white is Fujimi.

nmqzukX.jpg

8dQF5Yg.jpg

I think atrocious is the right word here.  I think this is noticeably wrong for even the non-purists!  So again thanks to @72modeler for the Fujimi kit numbers to get me in the right direction, and thanks to everyone else for discussion and kit offers!

• Like 1

I have a follow-up question regarding the seat.  The resource @Vingtor provided says that my a/c had the Martin Baker seat installed.  I did some internet searching last night and couldn't figure out which MB seat they used.  The only thing I found was that Norwegian F-86D's used the Mk5 seat (wikipedia).

I ask because I ordered a resin F-86F seat and when it arrived it looked like the USAF bang seat.  If I knew which MB seat it was I could find a picture and confirm that I have the wrong one.

Every kit is as good as you make it, I have built a couple of the HB Sabres and TBH they look alright when made up. 

Also dont forget the Fujimi RF-86F this is basically an F-40 kit with the RF bits in it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, opus999 said:

The only thing I found was that Norwegian F-86D's used the Mk5 seat (wikipedia).

First, Norway never operated the F-86D. Only the F and K.

The MB Mk.5 seat came in different shapes and looks.

Nils

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hasegawa!! They did a long wing F-86 but had raised panel lines. I ways thought a not bad kit. Trouble is finding one!! It was a long time ago but I have built a few but now all I have left of any of them is the canopy which I can use on an Airfix one. The Fujimi and Hobbycraft versions of same kit had the speed brakes the wrong shape being quite square.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paul J said:

Hasegawa!! They did a long wing F-86 but had raised panel lines. I ways thought a not bad kit. Trouble is finding one!! It was a long time ago but I have built a few but now all I have left of any of them is the canopy which I can use on an Airfix one. The Fujimi and Hobbycraft versions of same kit had the speed brakes the wrong shape being quite square.

The Hasegawa F-86F is a real caricature, akin to the Matchbox "F-86A". The intake is the wrong shape and all details are very basic. I'd give it a wide berth.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2022 at 11:56 AM, opus999 said:

If I knew which MB seat it was I could find a picture and confirm that I have the wrong one.

Opus,

Do these help?

Mike

https://martin-baker.com/products/mk5-ejection-seat/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin-Baker_Mk.5

Not any help on the MB seat, but a very interesting article on the Sabre 6!

https://militaryaviationchronicles.com/cold-war/perhaps-the-best-f-86-canadairs-sabre-mk-6-turning-60/

See if this article and photos are useful for your project:

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/canadair-cl-13b-sabre-mk-6-of-bundesluftwaffe-with-martin-baker-ejection-seat-1-32.33059/

11 hours ago, Vingtor said:

First, Norway never operated the F-86D. Only the F and K.

Oh... well that's what I get for looking at wikipedia without verifying it! :D 

11 hours ago, Vingtor said:

The MB Mk.5 seat came in different shapes and looks.

So, they did have the Mk.5 then.  I guess I'll go with what I have.

7 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Mike, 

Thanks for these!  In my research I'd seen the wikipedia article and the militaryaviationchronicles article, but didn't see the other two.  The Martin-baker.com article says: 

North American Sabre and Republic Thunderflash aircraft of the Norwegian Air Force were the first of many N.A.T.O. aircraft to be flown into Chalgrove Airfield where the installation of Martin-Baker Mk5 seats was made,

Which is what I wanted to know.  I just didn't know which mark of seat was installed.   So, now to find one! :) 

The ww2aircraft article has a good picture of the seat, plus its a very interesting article to boot.

18 minutes ago, opus999 said:

Mike, 

Thanks for these!  In my research I'd seen the wikipedia article and the militaryaviationchronicles article, but didn't see the other two.  The Martin-baker.com article says: 

Which is what I wanted to know.  I just didn't know which mark of seat was installed.   So, now to find one! :) 

The ww2aircraft article has a good picture of the seat, plus its a very interesting article to boot.

Glad I could be of assistance- I will look forward to the RFI photos! 

Mike