Airfix 1/48 DHC Chipmunk

HL-10

This is Airfix's new Chipmunk. 

I have fond memories of this type from having my first flight experience in one of these as an air cadet! I still have my old logbook somewhere so I would dearly love to get another 'Chippie' to do as one I flew in. 

I built the aircraft out of the box, bar adding some Kitsworld Decal seatbelts. The Kitsworld set additionally came with 3D decals for the instrument panel but I omitted these on account of the actual panel being the wrong colour, some dodgy green, therefore I decided to stick with the 2D but more accurate kit decals.

Overall the kit was nicely detailed but the kit was questionable in some areas, I found each assembly needed to be accurately put together as the tolerances weren't forgiving when coming to add on the next part or sub-assembly.

The model was painted using all Tamiya acrylics, and the kit decals were employed too. The model was lightly weathered, mainly with oils, before finishing off with a semi-matt gloss from Tamiya.

DSCN0811.jpg

DSCN0812.jpg

DSCN0813.jpg

DSCN0814.jpg

DSCN0815.jpg

DSCN0816.jpg

DSCN0817.jpg

Here she is along with Airfix's Gnat in the same scale

DSCN0818.jpg

Many Thanks for looking,

Angelo

• Like 46
  • Thanks 1

Lovely job there, it is a nice, simple aircraft in looks. I just started the same kit today, hope mine looks as good as this one! Would be nice if a company did a kit of the Bulldog in 1/48, that was my first flight experience as an air cadet in the 90s.

• Like 1

Lovely little Chippie, been trying to resist getting one of these, cracking builds like yours don't help matters....!! :)

29 minutes ago, Comcastle said:

Would be nice if a company did a kit of the Bulldog in 1/48,

There's this one;

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/TAR48006?result-token=2Vqzi

Keith

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Comcastle said:

Lovely job there, it is a nice, simple aircraft in looks. I just started the same kit today, hope mine looks as good as this one! Would be nice if a company did a kit of the Bulldog in 1/48, that was my first flight experience as an air cadet in the 90s.

In case you were not  aware  you need cut off the locating  pins on the wing halves  before joining otherwise you will end up with  those  banana  curved wings. Also,I found the wing to fuselage fits better and  easier  if you remove  the tabs at the forward end of the centre section. I had bit of bother with it when it came to it. But good luck with your build .....and take care with the canopy assembly and jig.

• Like 3

Superb! Like many I remember a few Air Cadets flights in these. Need to dig out my old 3822 from my dad’s before I build my Chippie to see which ones I’ve flown in.

This is a lovely looking model, beautifully painted.

• Like 1