Drone View of National Museum of the United States Air Force Museum Storage Hangar

e8n2

Came across this interesting video last night and thought that the people around here might be interested in seeing it.  Among other goodies there is an Iraqi MiG-25, a YF-107A, a prototype of the F-84F used for FICON tests (note the stab and elevator with anhedral), a Spanish built He-111 derivative with Merlin engines, and several others.  The video is here:

Later,

Dave

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, 11bravo said:

Not sure about the Spanish He-111 knock-off.   It's historically irrelevant, I wouldn't waste the time, money or museum floor space to restore / display it.

That's your opinion, of course.  Its worth depends on your POV.  If it's either that or no 111 at all? I'd much prefer that :shrug:

15 minutes ago, 11bravo said:

Not sure about the Spanish He-111 knock-off.   It's historically irrelevant, I wouldn't waste the time, money or museum floor space to restore / display it. 

Now that ex-Iraqi MiG-25 on the other hand....

Well its it not a knock off is it. Its a licence built variant using different engines and armament. 

Thanks @e8n2 for posting

27 minutes ago, Mike said:

That's your opinion, of course.  Its worth depends on your POV.  If it's either that or no 111 at all? I'd much prefer that :shrug:

To each his own.   If they restore it, what would they use for markings?  Luftwaffe - like they did in that BOB movie, even though completely inauthentic?  Or Spanish AF, which is authentic but has absolutely no connection to the USAF or WW2?    If they go with the Luftwaffe version, why not just purchase some T-6's, change the canopy, paint them up with Hinomarus and call them Zeros?   

Given that floorspace at the museum isn't unlimited, I could think of many more deserving aircraft that should be put at the head of the list.   Again, just my POV

Regardless, that's a really nice video, thanks to the OP for posting. 

They have been putting up quite a few drone videos. You tube, their webpage or Facebook, take your pick to find them. You get some really unique views of the collection. I wish all museums would do this for those who can’t get there themselves.

The T-33 looks like the one that used to be on display at Duxford.  The YF-107A is the same one that has been at Dayton for a long time, in the storage/restoration hangars, and several of the other experimental machines have been there for a good number of years too.  The CH-19B Workhorse used to be on display in the museum itself but has clearly been rotated back to storage.

Edited by Irish 251

4 hours ago, John B (Sc) said:

There are some fascinating bits and pieces around the edges of that hangar

Deffo. The B-23 Dragon and both Republic Thunderkids are quite rare items, as are some of the early drones. 

Thanks for all the kind words.  There are several more of these type of videos of the Air Force Museum out there.  I was watching the one for the South East Asia gallery earlier tonight on my TV.  Besides the usual American aircraft they also have an early MiG-21 and a MiG-17 on display.  They are worth checking out.

Later,

Dave

I just saw that video to. Maybe yt linked us to brit? Stranger things have happened. Some of those look potentially flyable. I made a comment  wondering if you need to know someone there in order to get in to the storage hanger. I find the storage stuff more interesting than what's on display.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

I just saw that video to. Maybe yt linked us to brit? Stranger things have happened. Some of those look potentially flyable. I made a comment  wondering if you need to know someone there in order to get in to the storage hanger. I find the storage stuff more interesting than what's on display.

A lot of museums put the most unique stuff in storage, but display things that survive in the hundreds. The NASM is the worst offender for this. I think the USAF museum has tours of the storage areas you can sign up for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robin-42 said:

A lot of museums put the most unique stuff in storage, but display things that survive in the hundreds. The NASM is the worst offender for this. I think the USAF museum has tours of the storage areas you can sign up for.

Back in 1987 I was in D.C. for the IPMS/USA convention.  One of the tours offered was of the then storage area at Silver Hill, Maryland.  I just don't remember if I took any pictures then, and if I did then I think my first ex kept them so that I couldn't have them.  She was funny like that.  At airshows I prefer to see what is on static display, preferably the day before, and don't really care much about the flying displays.  Haven't been able to do that since I retired from the Air Force.

Later,

Dave