Fw190 A-1 , how externally different from A-2 or A-3?

Troy Smith

I just got a copy of Classic Publications Fw190 Volume one,  (I had the other 2 already)  via the Aviation Bookshop sale at a reasonable price. 

I was intrigued by the photos of the Fw190A-1 in service with JG26,  as I was unaware it was the first version in service.  

Some searching have not turned up much apart a 1/72nd Sword kit  of the A-1 in 72nd, https://www.internetmodeler.com/2000/september/first-looks/sword_fw190a.htm 

and the PCM kit in 1/32nd

https://www.hyperscale.com/2018/reviews/kits/pcm32011reviewbg_1.htm

(which I just found) 

The book does not have drawings, but from the photos and text,  the A-1 is basically an A-2 with MG17 in the wing roots. so flat doors and smaller ejection slots underwing?   The PCM kit above has the flat doors and  bulges to be added I note.

Is there anything else I'm missing?  

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/fw190jb_1.htm

"A-0

This model was the pre-production variant used by a special Erganzgruppe for doing operational evaluating of the basic design. Personnel from JG 26 were used. Very few photos of it in this unit’s aircraft in service are available. Compared to later models the primary differences are:

Shorter spinner

Front cowling armor ring is different.

Different pilot armor

The 4 wing guns are all MG 17s, as were the cowling guns. Some were later fitted with the MG/FF 20mm cannon in the outboard position.

The bulge on the side of the engine cowling that covers the interior air intake is shaped like a perfect teardrop.

A-1

This first production variant went into service in July 1941 with 6./JG 26, then to other parts of II Gruppe, then into limited service with JG 2 and JG 1 about 6-9 months later.

The wing armament is MG 17 in the inboard position and the MG/FF in the outboard position. The cowl guns are also MG 17 (these are rifle caliper guns, 7.98mm).

The spinner is the shape it will be for the rest of the Fw 190 series.

The cowling air intake bulge is now a lop-sided teardrop, the shape it will have for the rest of the variants.

The panel area behind the exhaust is solid, no slots (although some were later retrofitted with slots).

The pilot armor changes from the A-0.

The engine is the BMW 801C-1

A-2

This variant was the first one to see widespread service.

The panel behind the exhaust was fitted with open slots to help the cooling problems.

The engine fitted was the BMW 801C-2. Externally there was no visible difference.

The inboard wing armament position was now fitted with the MG 151 20mm cannon.

A small round blister appeared on the cowling gun cover.

The pilot armor changed again.(!)"

I presume a good starting point would be the 1/48 Eduard A-2 kit with outer wing MG-FF cannon, and removing the inner wing cannon bulges?   

I'll @SafetyDad and @FalkeEins  as they maybe able to add a little more. 

• Like 1

BTW, there was a 1/72 Fw-190A-0 released by AZ Models; I think it's OOP; I have one, and it's not bad; I was going to crosskit one with a Hasegawa Fw-190A-5, using the best bits from it basically grafted to the A-0 fuselage,

https://modelingmadness.com/scott/axis/previews/az/az7265.htm

Did you discover these in your search?

https://www.ipmsstockholm.se/home/modellers-guide-to-focke-wulf-fw-190-variants-part-i/

https://www.ipmsstockholm.se/home/focke-wulf-fw-190/

Looking forward to the RFI photos- I really like the A-0 through A-4 variants...there's just something so simple yet sinister about them.

Mike

• Thanks 1

• Troy Smith changed the title to Fw190 A-1 , how externally different from A-2 or A-3?

As noted above, "The panel area behind the exhaust is solid, no slots".  The new BMW 801 had serious overheating problems, and the exhaust staining was prominent.  The persistence of Oblt. Otto Behrens likely saved the Fw 190A program.

The finish on the spinner of these early ones often featured the ⅓ white, ⅔ RLM 70 'Kullerschnauze' decoration; this was rarely seen later.

GRM

• Thanks 1

The Fujimi kit you mention in your other thread is a bit of a ..., well it's not that good.

You could use one of these

IMG_0851

As the box indicates, it's for the Otaki kit (nicer in my view - not as clunky). OK, it's not Eduard - I don't know how this would fit the Eduard kit.

It looks like this

IMG_0856[1]

IMG_0857[1]

There are more pieces, such as wheels and cowl, that I haven't pictured.

I've always been really impressed by Medallion stuff - very nicely moulded and ahead of their time.  The instructions give a summary of the differences between the early variants

IMG_0854

Drop me a PM if you want more info on the conversion set - I'm open to trades

SD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SafetyDad said:

The Fujimi kit you mention in your other thread is a bit of a ..., well it's not that good.

Indeed.  I have the D-9, it's likely 1/50th.  And still not very good. It was obviously not very good back when i got it as I had the Monogram kit, and it was dinky in comparison....

I mentioned specifically as being a wing donor for the small wing initially used,   this was what the Aeroscale link builder used as a basis as the resin kit wing had problems.  

He also used the smaller tailwheel, and the too small main wheels perhaps could be used, as there is mention the size was changed for the production models, with the increase in size and weight.

But, no it's not good.   I did find an article somewhere, I think in a model mag where the writer was dismissing the 1/48 Monogram and Otaki kits (which are rather well shaped according to the Bentley plans)  and praising the Fujimi...... 

3 hours ago, SafetyDad said:

OK, it's not Eduard - I don't know how this would fit the Eduard kit.

As Eduard do an A-2, A-3 and A-4, with various wings,  not really needed.

If I ever was to do an A-0 or A-1,  I'd be looking at  one of the Eduard kits...

I got the Royal Class a few years ago, back when Creative Models regularly sold Eduard kits at 30% off retail in their weekly specials,  (before lockdown and the end of cheap kits?)    and then when Eduard did their 'postman' offer of free shipping, got some early Fw190 over trees to use up all the decals.    What i have I can't remember, but I know I spent some considerable time working out what sets of overtrees I needed so I may even have the relevant kit/bits already....    

As a digression, 

I'm pretty sure the very first kit I ever did , age 5, was the Revell 1/72 A-3 kit, which is pretty awful,  I did buy one in the boxing I remember from the time 

1245023-27767-95-pristine.jpg

There is even a note in the instructions about the lack of Swastika ,,,,,      If it ever gets built I'll do it as per the box art....  

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

But, no it's not good.   I did find an article somewhere, I think in a model mag where the writer was dismissing the 1/48 Monogram and Otaki kits (which are rather well shaped according to the Bentley plans)  and praising the Fujimi...... 

That may be a Terrence Marriot item in SAM from years back. I remember he had an irrational affection for the Fujimi 190D-9 over the Trimaster version, even when the Fujimi kit is missing the extension on the tailfin...

Oh dear

SD 

• Thanks 1

@Troy Smith

Troy,

We won't be celebrating our family's Christmas until Sunday, so today or tomorrow, I will get up to the hobby room/kit mausoleum and see what I can find out regarding your Fw-190V1 and Fw-190A-1 queries. I have the two V1 kits I mentioned earlier, as well as the AZ Models A-0, and the Zvezda  A-4, and  my references, so I will see what I can do to help you on both variants. I have always been curious about the V1 and the A-0 myself as modeling projects, so your query has piqued my interest. Hopefully what I find and share will be accurate, or at the least, give you some information for comparison.

Mike

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

I will see what I can do to help you on both variants

I have the MPM Fw190V-1 kit in the stash - if measurements etc. of this kit can help, shoot!

Cheers,

Andre

6 minutes ago, Hook said:

I have the MPM Fw190V-1 kit in the stash - if measurements etc. of this kit can help, shoot!

Cheers,

Andre

Do you have an early A model to compare it too?   

That maybe interesting.      From what has come up so far, there are drawings for the Fw190 V-1 about,  as there have been several kits,  though how they compare is another matter.

Troy,

As I re-read this topic discussion, I saw that you have gotten a copy of the Classic Publication Focke-Wulf Fw-190  Volume One 1938-43,, by Smith and Creek. As it has a wealth of information, specs, dimensions and closeup detail photos of the prototypes, A-0, and A-1/2/3, I think you should be able to figure out the technical and external differences between them; this was what I was going to paraphrase from that reference plus the tried but true William Green's Warplanes of the Third Reich.

Some dimensions that might be useful- taken from the above-listed references:

Fw-190V1:

span 31' 2"  length: 28' 4 1/2"

Fw-190A-0 :

span 34' 5 1/2"  length 28' 9 3/4"" (known a the 'g' wing (grosse?)  fitted to the V5 initially, then on the 9th A-0 and subsequent, IIRC

Fw-190A-1/2/3:

span 34' 5 1-2" length 28' 9/34"

Some observations on the V1:

I have the kits listed below and can take any measurements you might want:

MPM Fw-190V1, injected

Final Touch Fw-190V1 modified, resin

AZ Models Fw-190A-0, injected

Zvezda Fw-190A-4, injected

Matchbox Fw-190A-4, injected

It looks like the A-0 would be the closest kit to making either of the V1's, especially as the two kits of the V1's are most likely going to be hard to find, with the possible exception of the MPM kit. So, keeping in  mind the A-0 and V1 kits, consider the following:

The LE of both kits is the same, so changing the sweep of the wing  TE from the root to the tip   pretty easy- also remembering the shorter wing of the V1

The wheel bays appear to be in the same location between the V1 and A-0, but the openings are different, especially the part that is located in the belly; of course, the strut fairing doors are completely different and would take some intricate plasticard surgery to replicate the real ones, but the Classic book shows this area with excellent closeup detail photos.

Need to move the cockpit forward on the A-0 kit to match the V1 location; the  canopy and sills  also must be reshaped or a new one vacformed.

If you do the V-1 mod variant, the cowling would be easier, as it was more like the A-0,  as it did not have the large ducted spinner, but had the spinner and cooling fan of the A-0.

The cowling would have to be moved rearward to match the V1 location.

The ailerons and flaps would need to be re-scribed to match the V1 configuration.

If you could snag the MPM kit, then that would be the easiest route, but as molded, you can only do the V1 in its original configuration, which I think is the neatest one, anyway! The Final Touch resin kit I have only has parts to do the V1 modified version, and I don't really like that one, so if you come up empty in your quest and you like that version, pm me and I can see about getting you the one I have.

Hope this helps- it is in no way descriptive of every detail, but I was concentrating on the visible external differences.

Now, as for the A-0, A-1 thru A-3: if you have the Classic book, they describe and illustrate the difference between them; with engine cooling slots and armament being the most obvious.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text, corrected spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/germany/aircrafts-2/fw190/fw-190a-0-sb-ij/

Look at the nearest aircraft in the above photo.  Is the root gun-panel blister a production form for either A-0 or A-1?  Or is it a one-off?  The next aircraft back seems to have no blister, and the one behind (in front of) that has one, but I can't tell if it is a teardrop or the more familiar shape.  Note also that the nearest aircraft (at least) has the slots aft of the engine cowling.

3 hours ago, gingerbob said:

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/germany/aircrafts-2/fw190/fw-190a-0-sb-ij/

Look at the nearest aircraft in the above photo.  Is the root gun-panel blister a production form for either A-0 or A-1?

This one was likely "SB+IJ", WNr.0030, which was later (May 1942) at the E-stelle Tarnewitz for gun tests.  A number of the A-0 were retained for testing, and as the basis for later prototypes, such as the DB603A-equipped V13, the Ta 152C-0, the Jumo 211 -- you get the idea.

GRM

• Thanks 2

I have the AZ kit of the Fw190A-0 (mint & boxed) which I will never build so if anyone is interested let me know, although as a new member I can't put anything of the sale/want section yet so you need to send me a PM to arrange if this is OK and within the rules - not sure but just trying to help?

Pat.

Ps. the Harleyford Press book on the Fw190 is rather good in this respect, albeit a bit aged and in need of updating, a bit like myself!