Polish squadron markings question

bobmig

While looking at aircraft of 1586 Special Duties Flight I noticed something odd. The POLAND emblem carried on various aircraft were not all oriented the same. A bit of additional searching seemed to indicate that this was not uncommon. As I understand it, the “official” insignia of the wartime Polish Air Force always had the red square of the checkerboard at the top left. The Moranes and Caudrons I found had it at the top right. In the RAF it could go either way. Was there some significance to this, or was it simply unfamiliarity on the part of the ground crew that applied the markings? Perhaps one of our Polish friends can chime in.

Poland.jpg

• Like 1

"As I understand it, the “official” insignia of the wartime Polish Air Force always had the red square of the checkerboard at the top left."

That is true for the pre-war air force in Poland. When the Polish Air Force reformed in France they were allowed to place the chessboard on the fuselage of their aircraft. The colours were reversed until Poland regained its freedom.

In the the UK is seems it was just down to whim.

• Like 1

It was painted on the squadron level in PAF. The erks were not very familiar with  heraldic rules. Not many people are today. Although the position of colours on the checker board is quite controversial subject in Poland it doesn't mean everybody knows which version is which by heart . I know some modellers do :).

Edited by greatgonzo

It was even worse in Polish squadrons co-belligerent with Soviet Army. The single machine (like for instnce well docomented on photos Scherbakov Shche2) the checkerboards on left  and right sides were 90 degree rotated, so different on one airplane...

The short story on checkerboard is here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_Air_Force_checkerboard

Rrgards

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Like 1