1:24 Peugeot 905 (1993 LM) The last of the group C cars

Jered

Hello all

spacer.png

Winning the 1992 and 1993 Le Mans 24 races, the Peugeot 905 was the last of the Group C prototype cars. 

Some may argue that is was a lot to do with various rule changes which benefited Peugeot or that it was the result of trying to coax more manufacturers into F1 at the detriment of endurance racing. Whichever way you look at it, it's the end of an era whether a summit or a coffin-nail.

I think it's a cool looking machine regardless. It was the then end-point of an evolution of car shapes going back decades.

Anyway.

I have set my sights quite high with this one.

I feel that ambition and determination are two things needed to push beyond one's boundaries.

Taking inspiration from some of the amazing work on here, I am planning to make the Peugeot 905... From scratch. 

I use CAD quite a lot with my day-job as a furniture maker. Cabinets are pretty easy to draw by comparison.

My plan is to draw it on the computer fully before printing or making anything starting with the engine and gearbox before looking at the exterior and cabin. I'm aware of at least one 3d CAD model commercially available ( sadly no engine bay detail) which I might think about purchasing if I start grinding to a halt. Bearing in mind this is going to take a LONG time to finish. 

First things first, the valve covers.

I had to begin somewhere and it seemed like a convenient place to start.

spacer.png

I found a huge cache of pictures of the 3.5l v10 and the 1993 chassis (ev17) here:

http://www.museumcollection.co.jp/gallery/auto/peugeot/905/905.html

spacer.png

I am a terrible perfectionist and I must remind myself that I'm not intending on making a set of drawings for an engineer to make a working engine from! So if it's out slightly then I won't tell if you don't.

spacer.png

I do find interpreting the perspective a little bit of a challenge but I don't think it looks awful so far.

spacer.png

With a little colour I'd say it's quite exciting!

Please forgive me if it's a bit premature to start a thread on it with only a small amount of progress but I hope you enjoy it.

Sadly, I'm using the work computer which is at work funnily enough. And I'm off until the new year so I won't be able to make any progress until 2022. 

Thanks for having a read.

Cheers,

Jered.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Back at work this week so managed to do a tiny bit after work. Added the front engine mounting point and reinforcement on the valve cover.

I found out that the center strip was a cover for the spark plugs to stop them from becoming unseated. I wonder how they found that out 😂

Still a load of clean up to do and for such a tiny amount of progress it hardly seemed worth posting but I feel that it keeps me motivated to keep the pressure on.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Looking at the photos, it looks like a large bolt goes through the top of the valve cover along its length and into the firewall/bulkhead.

Still on the hunt for gearbox images. I've since found out that it's an Xtrac/Peugeot p026 6 speed sequential transaxle gearbox. Sadly there isn't anything online and Xtrac say they're not at liberty to disclose anything further which is fair enough. Might have to invent something if I can't find anything. It might make sense after the rest of the rear of the car is drawn and just have something which fits the space (and looks like a gearbox)

Cheers,

Jered

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

These parts are clear improvement compared to parts in Heller kit. Those are little soft and I am not sure how correct.

I've read some right horror stories about the Heller kit. Fair play to anyone who has successfully made it. Seems a shame for a French model maker not to do a better job of a French car which won the second biggest French race (the first being le tour de France)

Another mini update. Just refining some more details. I'm using rhino, which is a bit tedious in comparison to solidworks as it's not natively parametric so it takes a bit longer to draw as it's harder to change geometry after you commit to joining the parts into one piece.

spacer.png

spacer.png

11 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Nice job! I built the Heller kit years ago and was never happy with it. I saw these race in period and they sounded amazing: not quite as amazing as the Mazdas, but still very distinctive.

Oh man, the Mazda's were amazing. I never saw them driven in anger but saw Herbert (I think?) spank #55 around Le Mans de Sarthe in a pre race display at the 2011 race. Hands down favourite car!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jered said:

Oh man, the Mazda's were amazing. I never saw them driven in anger but saw Herbert (I think?) spank #55 around Le Mans de Sarthe in a pre race display at the 2011 race. Hands down favourite car!

Saw the Mazdas through the years, including that Le Mans win in '91. The 787B is one of my favourite cars.

41 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Jered, not sure if it helps but you mentioned engine mounting to the monocoque. I have a few recent detail shots I've taken of 905s and can post if of use. This one will save as full size:

007 (4)

That would be amazing if you did have some photos. I think I've trawled most pictures on the internet so any I haven't yet seen are invaluable!

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Started the exhaust/collectors. I feel like they're a little skinny. It could be that the block is too long or that the face of the block which the exhaust occupies is not high enough which limits the exhaust diameter. Hard to know. 

Cheers,

Jered

Ah amazing! Thank you so much! These are really helpful.

Some more details on the block and had a play with the manifold. I'll do it properly at some point. Quite hard to draw it accurately for the obvious reason of it being compound 3D bends. 

spacer.png

• Like 1