Cromwell Mk.Vl.

Bullbasket

6 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

The Gods were kind Bertie. All is well.

Just a quick update. First up, I forgot to post this one yesterday. It's the rear light. It's made up from a bracket from the Aber set, a piece if sprue for the light and some 5 amp wire. The sprue is drilled out at the back with a 0.3mm bit to take the super glued wire, and a hole drilled in the side of the hull to thread the wire through.

cp3BCKb.jpg

Fortunately, the wind didn't blow from the wrong direction this afternoon, so I was able to get the primer coat onto the wheels, hull and turret.

Bof7Lbm.jpg

KFv9B29.jpg

The unpainted point on the RHS of the turret is a rivet. I didn't even notice it until I'd primed it. For some reason Airfix decided to make that rivet a separate item. Why? I can only think that it is relevant to another future version that Airfix will possibly release.

4SQeXbB.jpg

I'll leave this for a couple of days as I have to take my car for it's CT (MOT) tomorrow. Fingers crossed that that goes without a hitch.🤞

John.

That will teach you to not count your rivets

ALWAYS count your rivets.

First rule of model making, count your rivets.

Counted your rivets? Well count them again.

😁

Andrew

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, edjbartos said:

That looks great John, you have done some lovely fine detail. The stowage bins look great too, I can understand why you waited for those. Can’t believe the bit about the rivet, that’s bonkers..

all the best 

Ed

14 hours ago, APA said:

That will teach you to not count your rivets

ALWAYS count your rivets.

First rule of model making, count your rivets.

Counted your rivets? Well count them again.

😁

Andrew

20 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

That looks fab! 

I can’t even see the tail light! So tiny.

Thanks for all of your comments. I'm very pleased with those Ultracast bins. They're well moulded. But I have to say that I was puzzled by that rivet. I've not been able to work out yet as to why it's a separate item, unless, as I said, it's got something to do with a future issue. That said, I'll give a summary later of what is included in the kit that points to the possibility of new kits of other versions. Fingers crossed.

John.

PS. You're right Bertie, the rear light i tiny.

• Like 2

Looking very nice John, that tail light is a little work of art/engineering. Looking good in its undercoat.

Wondering if the rivet is separate for mounting the turret bins for an F hull which they were originally planning to release. That would be the right spot for the bins I think and would stop the builder having to remove a rivet to fit them. Shame they never released the F hull as originally planned.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

I was puzzled by that rivet.

A long time ago in a different life I was on a manufacturer's course trying to understand some complicated black box full of wires. I'd just about gotten my head around the purpose of all of the components but there was one thing that puzzled me. In one part of the wiring diagram there were two 10 Ohm resisters in series. I asked why it wasn't just one 20 Ohm and the instructor said, "When we built the prototype we had run out of twenties so we just stuck two tens in. The box worked so we passed it over to production engineering and they copied the circuit exactly, just changing the layout to make manufacture easier. There's been two resistors in there for twenty years now and everyone that does this course asks me why."

I bet there's a similar story behind this mysterious rivet. It's not a golden one by any chance?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigfoot said:

Looking very nice John, that tail light is a little work of art/engineering. Looking good in its undercoat.

Wondering if the rivet is separate for mounting the turret bins for an F hull which they were originally planning to release. That would be the right spot for the bins I think and would stop the builder having to remove a rivet to fit them. Shame they never released the F hull as originally planned.

Thanks a lot BF. You could well be right with regards to the turret bins for the F model, as they are included on one of the sprues.

John.

To be honest, I would change that "towing rope". It looks more like an item from the sailing ship.

You put so much effort into improving (Airfixing) this kit, that it would be just a small thing to do.

Strands are too thick to represent a steel cable. Look at offers by Eureka.

zig

• 1 year later...

And just like Lazarus, this one has risen from the dead, (or it will once I move it on). Two reasons why this went quiet. First, I went on a three month "holiday", and second, my mojo went awol. I've started other builds since then, but never finished anything, so today, I was scanning around my hobby room, looking at the many incomplete builds, and I thought to myself, now is not the time to start something new. So after trawling through the various unfinished threads, I settled on this one, as it is the nearest to completion.

So this waffle is to put down a marker to say that I am going out to my hobby room and charging up the airbrush with some SCC15. I'll be back with a proper update once I've got something to show.

John.

• Like 6

So let's get this moving again and maybe... just maybe....I'll finish it.

First job was to spray a coat of SCC15 using Mike Starmer's Tamiya mix which is XF61, XF62 and XF3 in a ratio of 5:2:2. I added a little more of the XF3 to lighten it a bit, to compensate for the dark wash and any other weathering. Trouble was, I shouldn't have used that bottle of XF3, as it had started to dry up. I added some X20A thinner, but obviously didn't mix it sufficiently as it struggled to get through the airbrush at times. But in the end I was reasonably happy with the result.

8oIuQ3M.jpg

XEIDmW7.jpg

Once this had dried, I marked out the disruptive pattern with a soft pencil, and then painted in in using Vallejo's NATO Black.

oujHUkM.jpg

KtrqkYK.jpg

FJONYkb.jpg

dcsN4pm.jpg

Next job will be to weather under the track guards before painting the tyres on the road wheels and fixing them in place. Then some detail painting.

Thanks for looking.

John.

• Like 19

Nice to see this one back on the bench John, not to far to the finish line now!

Paintwork looks top notch and is starting to bring it to life

Stay safe            Roger

• Thanks 1

Good to see this one back on the bench job. Have to say I’ve never seen (or rather never noticed) a Cromwell with the blanket box on the turret rear before or a firefly box on the rear. Looking good in the black and green.

• Thanks 1

I've just caught up on this build.  Super attention to detail, especially that tail light and the paint scheme is looking very good. 

It's also nice to see you back at the bench John. 

Keith 😁 

• Thanks 1

Nice work John, coming along great! I like these colors, look really good.

23 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

So let's get this moving again and maybe... just maybe....I'll finish it.

Hmm... Looks like you have a problem... Forgive me for saying such things, but it looks like you will finish this model... :rofl:

Vytautas

• Haha 1

Many thanks Vytautas. I sincerely hope so. My track record isn't that great at the moment with about 10 models sitting there, glaring at me, daring me to do some work on them. But I've already been sidetracked by the Tiran 6 that I'm planning, but luckily, the jury's still out on that one.

John.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hamden said:

Nice to see this one back on the bench John, not to far to the finish line now!

Paintwork looks top notch and is starting to bring it to life

Stay safe            Roger

19 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Nice paintwork John, It's looking good...

Ed

19 hours ago, Maddoxx77 said:

Nice paintjob! I really like that green tone. It adds so much depth. 

18 hours ago, PeteH1969 said:

Nice to see one in camo rather than just brown or khaki green.

Pete

7 hours ago, Keeff said:

I've just caught up on this build.  Super attention to detail, especially that tail light and the paint scheme is looking very good. 

It's also nice to see you back at the bench John. 

Keith 😁 

Thanks a lot to all of you. Your encouragement really does help to keep this rolling along. I'll try my best to actually finish it.

And thanks Keith for the welcome back. My problem is that I've got so much work to do around the house and garden, that it's difficult finding bench time.

John.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, bigfoot said:

Good to see this one back on the bench job. Have to say I’ve never seen (or rather never noticed) a Cromwell with the blanket box on the turret rear before or a firefly box on the rear. Looking good in the black and green.

Many thanks BF. I don't know if other units did it, but the Czech's seemed to weld all sorts of boxes in different places. This is the photo that I used as a reference.

yGlnwUV.jpg

I know that this is a Mk.lVf, but as there don't appear to be any photos showing the rear of the one that I'm building, I decided to use "artistic license" and stick them on the back of mine.

John.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

And thanks Keith for the welcome back. My problem is that I've got so much work to do around the house and garden, that it's difficult finding bench time.

John.

You're welcome John. 😊 

I know what you mean about bench time ...... no progress on my Sherman build for over a month since the arrival of our puppy as he's been the focus of attention! 

Keith 😁 

Edited by Keeff
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

My track record isn't that great at the moment with about 10 models sitting there, glaring at me, daring me to do some work on them.

Yeah, your track record isn't impressive yet, 10 is not a very big number.

It is obvious, that to these ten models on the shelf are feeling lonely and would like more company.
But still, I would like to see the finished Cromwell on another shelf...

:rofl:

Vytautas

• Haha 2