Cromwell Mk.Vl.

Bullbasket

16 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Picture hosting sites - the bane of every online model makers existence

Amen to that!  First Botoph Photobucket with their outrageous demands for payment, and now Village Photos (for a second time) with their security certificate lapses. So far Imgur is proving OK. Let's hope that it remains that way.

John.

• Like 2

Two pairs of spare track links were carried on the front of the glacis plate, between the headlamp brush guards and the two splash plates. I was going to use four of the individual links from the kit, but on inspection, each one has got two pin marks on the reverse side, and they would be positioned reverse side up. Then I remembered that I had some spare Fruilmodel links left over from the Centaur build. So these were super glued in place.

vbqRAlv.jpg

Just quickly doubled back to the turret to install the No.19 aerial base. I made this using the item from the Aber set, and a piece of rod. In all honesty, I hate these things. Come back RB Models, all is forgiven. It's not perfect, but it will have to do.

2lAe9xb.jpg

There are four brackets fixed to the sides of the two RH stowage bins for the tow cables. I added these from the Eduard set. Now here's a strange thing. Airfix supply in the kit, the end loops of the tow cables, but they don't supply the cables themselves. Not even the string versions which Tamiya supply. There's no mention of them in the instructions. Weird!

boFzoLa.jpg

Cromwells in this unit appeared to carry additional ammo boxes, two on each side, to be more precise, the C224 Mk.1. This one;

fi6MJb4.jpg

I checked through all of the resin ammo boxes that I have and would you know it, not one of these! I considered making them, but when I realised the indentations on the lid and each of the four sides, plus the side handles and the front clasps and the rear hinges, and then multiply that by four, I thought, beggar that!. So I had a look at the various AM people, such as Resicast, Ultracast, Accurate Armour, etc. The only one which specifically makes these boxes (and not part of a set), is the Canadian outfit, Ultracast. Two to a pack, $5.95 Canadian. What sticks in my throat though, is the P&P.....$15.95, and that's for one pack. I want two.

Unfortunately, these are fundamental to this build, and I can't advance without them, as their positioning dictates where the tow ropes anchor, and where other items are placed. So hopefully, I can order these, but it might take to the end of the month before they turn up. So at the moment, it's rain stopped play.

John.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Good progress John, shame about the ammo boxes, that means you can start another build😀

all the best

Ed

17 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Looking really good, nice seeing all the extra details you're adding. :thumbsup:

Thanks to both of you. Your comments are much appreciated. 

Funnily enough Ed, I was thinking of doing just that, but having ordered two packs of two from Ultracast in Canada, and expecting them to take a while, I received an email from them to say that my order has been shipped, so hopefully, they should arrive around about the weekend (he said with finger crossed). So in the meantime, I made a start on the wheels and tracks. More of that later.

John.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

This is looking really sharp. Brilliant creative working/

10 hours ago, Michael Leek said:

Am I the only one who’s unable to see the photos?

Many thanks, and no, you're not the only one. There are a couple of threads active at the moment concerning this issue, but basically for the first part of this thread, the photos were hosted by Village Photos, but they appear to have gone belly up, so now I'm using Imgur.

John.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi John. Any more progress? It was looking excellent last time seen!

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix. Thanks for asking. Actually, the ammo boxes from Ultracast turned up yesterday, and they are now residing in their final resting places. I'll try and get some work done on the build and post some photos, but I've been distracted for the past week, putting up some much needed shelves in my hobby room. Also today, the postie brought me three 60cm magnetic strips for mounting tools on, so I'll be putting those up as well. Then maybe my work bench won't look as though someone has held a rave on it.

ATB,

John.

• Like 3

Hi John, nice job mate with all the usual attention to detail.......pleasure to see as always. I must take a lead and start to do detail research on my next projects to make all the additions you do. Sometimes I end going with "that'll do".......... Keep it up and now I have tome I'm catching up on all blogs I'll keep up with the Cromwell.

Cheers

Simon.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Hi John, nice job mate with all the usual attention to detail.......pleasure to see as always. I must take a lead and start to do detail research on my next projects to make all the additions you do. Sometimes I end going with "that'll do".......... Keep it up and now I have tome I'm catching up on all blogs I'll keep up with the Cromwell.

Cheers

Simon.

Many thanks Simon. With any luck, I'll be able to get on and finish this build over the weekend.

John.

• Like 2

The four boxes are now in place. On the LHS they are placed where the pioneer tools would have been stored, but I'm assuming that the large stowage box on the rear would have been used to store them.

u7JCrOu.jpg

Tow ropes assembled and fixed in place. I used the kit's nylon ropes, and have never had any trouble with this material before, but this time, I just couldn't get the damned things to stick to the end pieces using super glue. I succeeded in the end, but not before turning the air in the room, a royal blue colour!!

ImbNPG9.jpg

I didn't have any of the normal fittings which were used to secure the ends of tow ropes to the shackles, so I'll use some wire, bent to shape, later. At the other end, the ends will be covered by a piece of tarpaulin or something similar.

t4ncebY.jpg

On the front RH track guard, a fixed bracket for the tow rope, courtesy of Aber, and just in front of that, the bracket for the rear view mirror.

MWHIMLi.jpg

I think that is about as far as it goes with the build. I don't think that I will bother with any stowage as I may depict it as it is in all of the photos that I have of it, ie; just prior to taking part in victory celebrations in Czechoslovakia in 1945. So next up will be a coat of Halfords primer, and at the same time, I'll prime the wheels.  The ones that I'm using are from Sovereign 2000. 

As always, thanks for looking.

John.

• Like 18

Looks really great!
I understand you used nylon ropes before. How do you paint them? Just spray primer and paint? Or do you use any special techniques? I'm wondering because I planned myself going to use nylon rope in one model.

Vytautas

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, vytautas said:

Looks really great!
I understand you used nylon ropes before. How do you paint them? Just spray primer and paint? Or do you use any special techniques? I'm wondering because I planned myself going to use nylon rope in one model.

Vytautas

Thanks Vytautas.

Once the primer has gone on, they behave a lot better. I then paint them with Humbrol Oily Steel, and then once a varnish coat is on, give them a dark wash.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, APA said:

Cracking stuff John. I've never used the kit supplied cables so will see with interest how these look.

ANdrew

17 hours ago, Longbow said:

Great job John !!

She’ll look great with some paint on !!

12 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

It’s coming on nicely well. I want to see it primed and integrated into one unit. 

Thanks everyone for your comments. Much appreciated.

If the wind is in the right direction this afternoon, I'll get the primer coat on (We have 65km winds forecast for this afternoon and if it's coming from the SW it'll blow right into the outlet from my spray booth. Not good!).

John.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

If the wind is in the right direction

I have similar problems here, John. One of the reasons I'm catching up with everyone else's work right now. I'm tempted to just open windows front and back and use the whole flat as a spray bay.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I have similar problems here, John. One of the reasons I'm catching up with everyone else's work right now. I'm tempted to just open windows front and back and use the whole flat as a spray bay.

The Gods were kind Bertie. All is well.

Just a quick update. First up, I forgot to post this one yesterday. It's the rear light. It's made up from a bracket from the Aber set, a piece if sprue for the light and some 5 amp wire. The sprue is drilled out at the back with a 0.3mm bit to take the super glued wire, and a hole drilled in the side of the hull to thread the wire through.

cp3BCKb.jpg

Fortunately, the wind didn't blow from the wrong direction this afternoon, so I was able to get the primer coat onto the wheels, hull and turret.

Bof7Lbm.jpg

KFv9B29.jpg

The unpainted point on the RHS of the turret is a rivet. I didn't even notice it until I'd primed it. For some reason Airfix decided to make that rivet a separate item. Why? I can only think that it is relevant to another future version that Airfix will possibly release.

4SQeXbB.jpg

I'll leave this for a couple of days as I have to take my car for it's CT (MOT) tomorrow. Fingers crossed that that goes without a hitch.🤞

John.

• Like 21