Cromwell Mk.Vl.

Bullbasket

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Right! I'm now signed up to Imgur, so hopefully I've got the hang of this site. We'll soon see.

I was going to add a Crusader blanket box, as I have a photo of a Cromwell carrying one on the back of the turret, but after studying several photos, I decided to add a large, square, stowage box, seen on several Czech Cromwells instead. This is the same type which I added to my welded hull Cromwell, so I had something which I could take the measurements from.

First job was to make the basic box. I made this from 40thou card for the top and base, and .5mm card for the front, back and sides. I filled all of the joints and left it to harden, before rubbing it smooth with 1200 grit W&D.

ZKwPd88.jpg

I used 10thou card to make the lid, and strips of the same material to make the band which goes around it. The fixing rivets were punched out of 5thou card. At the rear of the lid, I glued a length of stretched sprue, and cut some notches in it to represent a hinge. I added the latches from an Eduard set, and the padlock from an Accurate Armour etched sheet.

iY9uHXF.jpg

The shelf which it sits upon was also cut from 10thou card, and once it was glued in place, the whole assembly was fixed to the rear of the turret. Last job was to add a couple of fixing brackets, complete with bolt heads.

N3aA6L4.jpg

fFITUFh.jpg

Hopefully, you can all see these photos. If so, I've got one more set to upload before I get on with some more work on it.

Thanks for looking,

John.

That's lovely construction. Thanks for all the instructions, very handy little lesson. I'd never have thought of building the shape first, but it's so obvious when I see it done.

• Thanks 1

Looks like most (if not all) of your early photos (re: deck etc) cannot be seen any more.

Just one pix, on the last page (storage box). At least for me.

Shame, they were useful, as I do have kit (Tam), but zero knowledge about the tank.

Ever changing Net, I guess, one day "in", other day "out".

Zig

• Like 1

Fantastic work. Shame Airfix can't borrow and scan it for a re- tooled version. 😀

This thread has inspired me to have a go at another Cromwell. But it will be Tamiya again.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Hamden said:

Pics: look fine from here John.

Love the turret box you scratched superb work as always!

Stay safe         Roger

20 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Good to see your photo's back John, your box looks great, good work

Ed

17 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

That's lovely construction. Thanks for all the instructions, very handy little lesson. I'd never have thought of building the shape first, but it's so obvious when I see it done.

17 hours ago, APA said:

That box is a work of art John. Fantastic! I endeavour to make such things but straightness and equal spacing eludes me to this day 🙄

Andrew

14 hours ago, StuartH said:

Just catching up with this. Brilliant work as usual and looks the business....

Love the plasticard and etch 👏

14 hours ago, Courageous said:

Nicely scratch built box, good details too.

Stuart

3 hours ago, IanC said:

Fantastic work. Shame Airfix can't borrow and scan it for a re- tooled version. 😀

This thread has inspired me to have a go at another Cromwell. But it will be Tamiya again.

3 hours ago, zigster said:

Looks like most (if not all) of your early photos (re: deck etc) cannot be seen any more.

Just one pix, on the last page (storage box). At least for me.

Shame, they were useful, as I do have kit (Tam), but zero knowledge about the tank.

Ever changing Net, I guess, one day "in", other day "out".

Zig

Many thanks to all of you who commented. I really enjoyed making that stowage box for the rear of the turret (it's amazing how little things please little minds:D) But if I was to do it again, I'd probably make the lid out of pewter foil. Less filling and sanding to do.

As for the photos Zig. They are all appearing on my laptop now. I'm using Chrome, so maybe if you're on something else, that could be why.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Top notch detailing as always John.

If you're still looking for ariel bases I just got some of these from accurate armour.

https://accurate-armour.com/aa-products/135th-accessories/a187

They look like they are 3d printed. I have just used one on my Cent and I will post a photo later.

Annoying about the Village photos situation, I use Imgur and so far so good. Just hope you don't jinx them.😁

Wayne

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

Top notch detailing as always John.

If you're still looking for ariel bases I just got some of these from accurate armour.

https://accurate-armour.com/aa-products/135th-accessories/a187

They look like they are 3d printed. I have just used one on my Cent and I will post a photo later.

Annoying about the Village photos situation, I use Imgur and so far so good. Just hope you don't jinx them.😁

Wayne

Many thanks Wayne, and thanks for the link. I'll have a look later, as I need a couple of items from AA.

John.

• Like 1

On 29/01/2022 at 13:15, SimonL said:

John that box is spectacular!

Real pain about Village Photos. I couldn’t get Imgur to work, so am trying out Hobby Photo Host.

Thanks Simon. Have a look at some of the latest posts in An Idiots Guide in FAQ. The situation may be resolving itself soon.🤞

John.

• Like 1

One thing which I forgot to mention was the missing bolts on the shell ejection ports. Originally, I was going to just use the Tamiya turret, which would have sorted out the problem in one go. But then I thought (after seeing someone do something similar on a Youtube video), why not have a go and sort it. So by using the Tamiya turret as a guide, I marked off the positions for the bolts and carefully drilled the holes. Each one went right through, and to stop any daylight showing, I backed up the holes with some card. This was basically trial and error, drilling the holes and then gradually enlarging them until I was happy with the result. Next, using my Waldron punch and die set, I punched out the bolt heads from .5mm card. These were then glued into the holes. I'm reasonably happy with the results.

ABVpAHG.jpg

XldrEfp.jpg

Finally for now, I mislead you all, earlier in this thread,when I referred to the drivers hatch on this tank as a Vauxhall Hatch. It's not. It's just different hatch covers that were meant to make escape easier for the driver. I converted a Tamiya Cromwell into a Mk.Vllw a few years ago, and that has a Vauxhall Hatch on it. It's totally different. Sorry about that.

John.

• Like 15

On 30/01/2022 at 09:38, Bullbasket said:

I'll have a look later, as I need a couple of items from AA.

This is it on my Centurion, personally I think the detail is nice but the circular guard still looks a little thick and it's possibly slightly undersized. Maybe etch would still be a better material. 

I'm not sure if there were different styles though.

hSEXmd9l.jpg ThvLgUvl.jpg

Excellent work on the pistol port, I still think I might go with the Tamiya turret on mine though as I'm not convinced by the weld beads on the bolts, easy enough to alter the Airfix ones but it's just another bit of unnecessary work. 

Wayne

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

It's coming along well. Keep up the good work.

14 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

This is it on my Centurion, personally I think the detail is nice but the circular guard still looks a little thick and it's possibly slightly undersized. Maybe etch would still be a better material. 

I'm not sure if there were different styles though.

hSEXmd9l.jpg ThvLgUvl.jpg

Excellent work on the pistol port, I still think I might go with the Tamiya turret on mine though as I'm not convinced by the weld beads on the bolts, easy enough to alter the Airfix ones but it's just another bit of unnecessary work. 

Wayne

Comments much appreciated. Many thanks.

I see what you mean Wayne. The top circular ring is a bit on the thick side, although perhaps not as thick as the kit item, and in the second photo, it doesn't look to bad. It does have nice detail to it though. I did manage to assemble the Aber one in the end. Not wonderful, but it will suffice. I'll post some photos when I have more work finished on it.

John.

20 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi John. Hope you and yours are keeping well. Your Cromwell looks to be progressing beautifully still. Lovely job! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Very nice of you to say so . Thanks Stix.

John.

• Like 1

That's a very nice blanket box you have scratched John ;)

I can't see the pictures from the start of the build, (my browser thinks you're running naked and has privacy concerns, lol) but would be nice to see more of this build.

Matt

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Cerberus said:

That's a very nice blanket box you have scratched John ;)

I can't see the pictures from the start of the build, (my browser thinks you're running naked and has privacy concerns, lol) but would be nice to see more of this build.

Matt

Thanks Matt. The problem is Village Photos. They haven't renewed the security licence so all of my photos from the beginning of the build have vanished. The later ones are from when I started using Imgur. I'm hoping that VP will get it's act together and my photos will reappear, but if not, I'll try and get around to doing them again.

John.

7 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

The problem is Village Photos. They haven't renewed the security licence so all of my photos from the beginning of the build have vanished.

Picture hosting sites - the bane of every online model makers existence, they all tend to start free and fairly good, then go downhill rapidly after moving to a payment model, you can bypass all the nonsense by starting a Google Blog (which is free) and then just use the blog as picture hosting (or create a blog, or both) just copy/paste picture links into Britmoddeller and this site sorts out the rest ;)

Matt

• Like 3