Cromwell Mk.Vl.

Bullbasket

3 hours ago, Model Mate said:

No concerns about overstaying your welcome John; this is fab stuff. Great detail work!

3 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

It looks like p/e to me. Nice touch.

I should come here more often to see what you are doing. You seem rather good at this.

Many thanks MM. Cheers Bertie. Yes, at 75, I'm just beginning to get the hang of this plastic fetteling lark:)

John.. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

So I made a start on the turret. My original intention was to use the Tamiya turret because of the missing bolt heads on the shell ejection port, but I thought that I would have a go at rectifying the mistake. Airfix have gone about the turret in a completely different way to that of Tamiya. Whereas Tamiya's is a one piece shell which you attach other panels to, Airfix have gone down the IKEA route,ie; it's like a flat pack. It's has a top, bottom and several side pieces to assemble. (Sorry, no photos here as I forgot, so this is a shot of the instructions, which illustrates what I'm saying).

ab2ceee0-09e5-4df6-8b95-2742658bc611.JPG

First job was to assemble the main armament into the turret front. I would have used the kit's BESA, but here was a moulding glitch; the muzzle had a lump missing from it. Nil desperandum. The Tamiya item fitted almost perfectly, it just needed the muzzle drilling out and enlarging with a dental tool.

fd890b1e-7922-4d29-af8a-6ba543ca92ff.JPG

Next was to assemble all of the parts, eight of them. I have to say that I wasn't impressed with this way of doing it. The order of assembly is to glue the side pieces onto the base, and then glue the top onto the sides, but if you don't have the parts in exactly the right place, it's difficult to get the top in place. I finally “persuaded” it to sit right , before gluing the frontal assembly into place, but I have been left with a few minor gaps to fill. Tamiya's way of building the turret, is superior IMO.

At least two of the tanks in this unit had the 2 inch bomb thrower, plated over, so it wasn't unreasonable to assume that Bromovice had it too, so I cut a piece of card and shaped it, and then glued it in place and applied a Milliput weld bead around the edge.

05809bb8-16fb-471e-8f29-aee361343a76.JPG

I used the vane sight from the Tamiya kit, as it was slightly thinner than the Airfix one. I also spent about 30 minutes with files and sanding sticks, thinning it even further. It's not perfect, but it will suffice.

515e4154-85e6-4ba9-9f05-cfd303f6ed5c.JPG

The spot light on the left hand side is once again, from the Tamiya kit, as it is a far better item. I drilled the attachment point on the top of the turret, the underneath of the lamp and a hole in the bracket which the lamp sits on, and then threaded through a length of 15amp fuse wire, and then super glued it in place.

68df53b8-492a-4f50-bf0d-2d2c1a96bf79.JPG

8377f960-d050-433a-a17f-0edf3806c6ce.JPG

OK, that's it for now. I have some more shots of turret work, but I don't want to outstay my welcome, so I'll wait a couple of days. Back soon.

John.

Ignore the instructions for adding the turret sides. Attach the side panels to the top panel and then add the base. A lot, lot easier. Bigger area to glue and the sides register with the top exactly.

P

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PDH said:

Ignore the instructions for adding the turret sides.

Now he tells me!!:giggle:. Thanks for the tip. I'll bear that in mind for the next time (and there will be a next time).

John.

Knocking it into shape as ever John!

Handy having a Tamiya kit to pinch the required/best parts from. Shame Airfix/ Academy didn't do something similar before putting it into production....

Atb

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, NIK122 said:

A man after my own heart with all the additional details. They are all worth the time and add up to a much more interesting build. Keep up the good work 

Thanks Nik. Much appreciated. Yes, I do like adding the details, although some items would try the patience of a saint. I spent more than an hour yesterday, trying to make that aerial base from etched brass (can't remember if it's A or B type). Not an easy job with arthritic fingers!

John.

• Like 2

Many thanks for the comments Darryl. I've not quite finished with the build yet, but on the whole, I would still say that Tamiya edge it. It surprises me that given the tie up between Academy and Airfix, that they didn't revisit this kit and rectify the mistakes. After all, Academy did it several years ago with the over sized VVSS units on their Grant. There are two threads running in Chat at the moment where aircraft modellers are putting forward all their usual wild and (sometimes impossible) wants, and I keep thinking to myself, all that I want from Airfix is for them to sort out the mistakes. Maybe if they release future versions such as an F model or a Centaur, they will do it then. One can but hope.

John.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Thanks Nik. Much appreciated. Yes, I do like adding the details, although some items would try the patience of a saint. I spent more than an hour yesterday, trying to make that aerial base from etched brass (can't remember if it's A or B type). Not an easy job with arthritic fingers!

John.

I'm not sure what the general consensus is about photo etch but I find most of what's provided in sets unusable. It looks to be good in theory but is it really designed to be practical for the modeler? I persevere with it up to a point but find it can take a large portion of the pleasure out of the hobby. These are just my thoughts of course. 

If you don't mind the expense or the wait have you considered the 3D printed route? 

https://www.hlj.com/1-35-scale-ww-ii-british-army-british-army-antenna-base-set-no-9-4-versions-8-pcs-rcarcrp35029

Edited by NIK122
  • Like 1

Thanks for the link Nik. I wasn't aware of this producer. Trouble is, they're out of stock at the mo. I think that RB models used to do one in brass (not etched), but they're no longer available.

I agree with you though about most of the etched sets being unusable, (especially Aber sets).

John. 

• Like 1

On 24/01/2022 at 14:49, PlaStix said:

Hi John. Lovely work on the turret and its details. Very fine modelling as always. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix, and thank you for your comments.

One thing which I forgot to mention was the missing bolts on the shell ejection ports. Originally, I was going to just use the Tamiya turret, which would have sorted out the problem in one go. But then I thought (after seeing someone do something similar on a Youtube video), why not have a go and sort it.

MP2tLb2.jpg

So by using the Tamiya turret as a guide, I marked off the positions for the bolts and carefully drilled the holes. Each one went right through, and to stop any daylight showing, I backed up the holes with some card. This was basically trial and error, drilling the holes and then gradually enlarging them until I was happy with the result. Next, using a suitably sized hexagonal punch, I punched out the bolt heads from .5mm card. These were then glued into the holes. I'm reasonably happy with the results.

Nw0j9D5.jpg

Just a couple of things to do on the turret, and then it's finished.

John.

Edited by Bullbasket
Replacing missing photos.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ah! I had a sneaking suspicion that things wouldn't go to plan. Sorry folks about there being no photos with the last post. I believe that this is down to Village Photos' security licence running out, and once again, they didn't get around to renewing it. Time to find another hosting site.

Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

John.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, SimonL said:

Looks like VP is back up and running - I can see the photos of the turret. Love the work on the shell ejection ports.

Thanks for letting me know Simon, but I still can't see any photos. Just had a look at the the VP site, and it's still showing that it's no go.

John.

• Sad 1

I just clicked the links in @Bullbasket's 8:57 post from yesterday and got refused because of a "privacy error".😖

Update: Just found how to defeat the privacy problem.

Great work revealed! Terrific attention to detail. Reading the description of the work doesn't match up to seeing it. A picture paints a thousand words! (Mr. T. Savalas was right!)

Edited by echen

27 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:
On 1/26/2022 at 11:28 AM, echen said:

Update: Just found how to defeat the privacy problem.

Do tell.

I think it was just have been my Opera browser having a hissy-fit about the security certificate. I have added a screenshot of the problem.

y4mDz4vI486pex7e2WjKFq7Qm2Dwe9rYHhhe6TM4

I was able to access the pix using the greyed out link knowing that other members, accessing the legitimate images, were having the same issue.

I don't think it's wise to blindly over-ride security warnings as a rule. 🙂

Edited by echen
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that info. I just did the same thing on Chrome and I got to the page to log in, but........it didn't look right. It's not the same layout that I recognise, and the user name box and the password box were on a skew and slightly overlapped the "LOG IN" box. That seems a bit iffy to me, so I just came out of it. I'll just have to hook up with a new hosting site.

John. 

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

.it didn't look right. It's not the same layout that I recognise, and the user name box and the password box were on a skew and slightly overlapped the "LOG IN" box.

That does seem a lot suspect. Definitely time for a new hosting site.

Looking forward to seeing progress on this build. 👍

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, echen said:

Looking forward to seeing progress on this build

Ditto that.

And I'm another who finds P/E tiresome. I think only the tiny bits look good and I struggle to use them. The larger pieces are often just too 'flat'. I have experimented with painting them with glues to build up the volume but generally I don't bother with P/E at all now.

• Like 2

On 1/24/2022 at 2:47 PM, Bullbasket said:

Thanks for the link Nik. I wasn't aware of this producer. Trouble is, they're out of stock at the mo. I think that RB models used to do one in brass (not etched), but they're no longer available.

I agree with you though about most of the etched sets being unusable, (especially Aber sets).

John. 

Ah yes! I missed the out of stock bit. Sorry. There are 3Dprint alternatives available. 

Have you tried Flickr for your photos? It's pretty straightforward and if you have never used it before it won't cost you anything for a few years at least. Unless that's changed. It was 2000 photos before you got charged monthly when I started using it 

• Thanks 1

Right! I'm now signed up to Imgur, so hopefully I've got the hang of this site. We'll soon see.

I was going to add a Crusader blanket box, as I have a photo of a Cromwell carrying one on the back of the turret, but after studying several photos, I decided to add a large, square, stowage box, seen on several Czech Cromwells instead. This is the same type which I added to my welded hull Cromwell, so I had something which I could take the measurements from.

First job was to make the basic box. I made this from 40thou card for the top and base, and .5mm card for the front, back and sides. I filled all of the joints and left it to harden, before rubbing it smooth with 1200 grit W&D.

ZKwPd88.jpg

I used 10thou card to make the lid, and strips of the same material to make the band which goes around it. The fixing rivets were punched out of 5thou card. At the rear of the lid, I glued a length of stretched sprue, and cut some notches in it to represent a hinge. I added the latches from an Eduard set, and the padlock from an Accurate Armour etched sheet.

iY9uHXF.jpg

The shelf which it sits upon was also cut from 10thou card, and once it was glued in place, the whole assembly was fixed to the rear of the turret. Last job was to add a couple of fixing brackets, complete with bolt heads.

N3aA6L4.jpg

fFITUFh.jpg

Hopefully, you can all see these photos. If so, I've got one more set to upload before I get on with some more work on it.

Thanks for looking,

John.

• Like 20