Cromwell Mk.Vl.

Bullbasket

21 hours ago, edjbartos said:

I love the attention to detail that you put into your builds, just fabulous, Hope your health issues get better soon...

Ed

16 hours ago, LeeM said:

Love all the modifications and attention to detail. Hope you feel better soon.

16 hours ago, Milan Mynar said:

It looks  very good and interesting.

12 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Looks good so far.

Thanks a lot for the positive feedback and the comments.

John.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stevehnz said:

You've got that coming along very nicely John, the extra detail looks really good. Good to that your rheumatologist has got you sorted by the sound of it. We can look forward to more of this sort of thing. ;) :D

Steve.

Many thanks Steve. The main things is that the fingers are moving again. SWMBO says that if I ever get to the stage where I can't build models anymore, I'll be upgraded from "impossible" to "insufferable".

John.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Milan Mynar said:

Nice building , maybe one day I'll start building this model.

Many thanks. If you do build it, this might be of use. It's a review of the Mk.Vl, but most of it applies to your kit. At least with the SKP kit you get the correct engine deck.

https://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/skpmodel/skp099.html

John.

5 hours ago, Model Mate said:

Just catching up with this John - terrific work as ever, and with the health issues you’re facing, all the more impressive. Top work!

Thanks a lot MM. Much appreciated as always.

John.

On 05/01/2022 at 16:57, Bullbasket said:

Next up, the engine deck. I have a copy of the Tankette magazine which shows the work needed to turn the A/B/C deck into a D/E/F deck. Incidently, I also own an Accurate Armour deck conversion which allegedly purports to be an F deck. Unfortunately, they got it wrong! The front panel lines on each side are in the wrong place. This is best illustrated by some images.

7fc414fd-d4ad-4958-90bf-95362ad8e915.JPG

So armed with a chisel blade and a No.10 blade for scraping, I removed the hinges, filled the panel lines and scribed new panel lines in the correct position. I covered this when I did a WIP for my welded hull Cromwell a few years ago, but it's easier to repeat it here than to keep referring back.

b256077e-f6e1-4946-9d8d-60d632ae3237.JPG

New lifting handles were made from brass wire, and the locking points were made from triangular pieces of 5 thou card, sanded to shape and detailed with a punched circle of 5 thou card, with a hole drilled in it. After I'd made the locking points, I discovered that on the Aber sheet that I have for the Cromwell, they include these! C'est la vie. I didn't replace the smaller grab handles, as I believe that these are of the type which drop down and lay flush with the surface.

1cae1d7a-dbb2-4d0d-916f-12375740740f.JPG

Engine deck glued in place, after some “adjustments”. The brass wire for the side grab handles protruded down too far, making it impossible to get it to sit properly on top of the lower hull, but this was overcome by filing some notches in the sides, in line with the handles. Sorted!

Armoured cover for the intake added along with two more brass grab handles.

042de7f3-a0ca-4270-aa8b-f5d607763320.JPG

I'll post some more in a day or two.

ATB,

John.

This is rather timely John as I have just reached the same stage on my Charioteer /Cromwell / Centaur builds. On the Accurate Armour F deck that they have supplied for the Charioteer the forward doors have the locking points towards the outside edges of the doors and I noticed that you have left yours in the central position, do you know which is correct for the F deck and should they be central for the D decks? My AA deck is a bit rough by the way so I may as well just alter the Tamiya one.

On the Airfix deck there is a row of screws along the outside edge of the fixed panel, should those screws be filled in where the rear access panels have been extended?

Wayne

• Like 1

13 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

This is rather timely John as I have just reached the same stage on my Charioteer /Cromwell / Centaur builds. On the Accurate Armour F deck that they have supplied for the Charioteer the forward doors have the locking points towards the outside edges of the doors and I noticed that you have left yours in the central position, do you know which is correct for the F deck and should they be central for the D decks? My AA deck is a bit rough by the way so I may as well just alter the Tamiya one.

On the Airfix deck there is a row of screws along the outside edge of the fixed panel, should those screws be filled in where the rear access panels have been extended?

Wayne

Hopefully, I'll get some time in my room this afternoon, so will be better placed to answer your questions Wayne. The drawings that I've been using for the F deck show those locking points in a central position, but I'll see if I can find an actual photo of it. As you know, don't always rely on drawings and profiles.

John.

20 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

This is rather timely John

OK, so I've had a look at the info that I have and as you would expect, I can't find a photo showing the engine deck of an F model. Unless the turret was turned to one side, the rear overhang blots it out. The drawings which I used for this model were published in the Tankette (AFV Association). I used different drawings for the welded hull Mk.Vllw which I built a few years ago (you can find the wip here with the drawings on page 2. 

Both show the lock down points as I depicted, which is as per both the Airfix and Tamiya kits, although they are C decks. As you can see from the drawings, they show the same positions. Another publication, The Museum Ordnance book on the Cromwell also shows the points in roughly the same place, and it is of an F deck. I can't find anything which agrees with the Accurate Armour deck, and given that they got some detail wrong with it, they probably got that wrong also. But again, if someone knows different, I'd like to hear it.

HTH's Wayne. Sorry that I couldn't be more helpful.

John.

• Like 1

For the stowage bins, I wanted to depict one or two of them with the lids bent a little. To do this, I again resorted to the Tamiya kit, as the bins in that kit are easier to modify as the front is a separate piece (Airfix is moulded all in one). The photos show the sequence of the modification.

The Tamiya stowage bin assembled.

g1ewd1Z.jpg

Lid removed with razor saw.

WxJ1IQO.jpg

A piece of backing card glued in place.

HZ3mrgg.jpg

New lid, complete with etched latches.

The new lid is made from pewter foil with the indentations impressed from the back with an old ball point pen.

wg9VXdu.jpg

And finally, in place.

NzFDNCo.jpg

Sadly, on the three etched sets by Eduard that I have for the Cromwell, I have used up all of the latches for the stowage bins, and the ones on the Aber set require a degree in nanotechnology. So therefore, I thought, beggar it, the other two will have to make do with what Airfix have moulded on them. On the forward one, I slid a knife blade under the corner of the lid and scored it down the leading edge to give the impression of a separate lid.

VP6hte7.jpg

More in a couple of days. Thanks for watching and for any comments.

John.

Edited by Bullbasket
Replacing lost photos.
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Nice work on the bins John. The Airfix ones do look more like a solid block.

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

I can't find a photo showing the engine deck of an F model

Thanks John, I think managed to find the answer.

aeMaqGy.jpg

This is from a Charioteer based on an F deck.

Wayne

• Like 3

19 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

This is from a Charioteer based on an F deck.

Good find. That actually looks like a third position, similar to where Accurate Armour have it, but not so far over. What I don't know is if there were further modifications to the engine deck for the F model. The one that I'm trying to depict is either a D or an E, and looking at  one of the Cromwells on the Toadman Tank Photos web page, the way the forward hatches on the engine deck are shown is just about the same as the way that Airfix have got it.

John.

21 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

This is really detailed modelling of the finest quality. I'm humbled, which takes some doing!

20 hours ago, Lazy Modeller said:

How about to do a scribed line in the front to match the side effect?

Cheers

LM

19 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Stowage bins look great John , big improvement on the Airfix ones...

Ed

Thanks all, for the comments which, as always, are very much appreciated.

Oh and LM. I decided against scribing the line along the front of the bin for the simple reason that there is enough dried blood all over my workspace already. Just doing that line along the side was bad enough!

John.

• Haha 3

Just a Q re: periscope shrouds on turret: are they "vertical - N/S" like in Tamiya - incorrect", or 90dgr to the turret slope (correct)?

It's only few degrees, but once you see it you can't unseeit. Great job you do, with explanations, we all can learn from it.

zig

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, zigster said:

Just a Q re: periscope shrouds on turret: are they "vertical - N/S" like in Tamiya - incorrect", or 90dgr to the turret slope (correct)?

It's only few degrees, but once you see it you can't unseeit. Great job you do, with explanations, we all can learn from it.

zig

3 hours ago, SimonL said:

Great work on the stowage bins - I can only aspire to such skill!

Many thank to both of you for the comments. Zig, I'll have a look this afternoon, when I can get out to my room, as at the moment, I'm warming my hands indoors by the fire.

John.