Gloster E.28/39 the First - the Father of Many - 1/72 Clear Prop Models

Hi All,

Another new model from myself. This time that is the great collab product of Sir Frank Whittle and Gloster Aircraft which was destined to became the greatfather of all the British jet aircraft and with its centrifugal compressor engine heavily influenced aircraft industry across the world. 

IMG_4696

The recently issued Clear Prop kit is a little marvel of injection kit industry. It's extremely well detailed out of the box, supplemented with some photoetch details for intake and undercarriage, The only my addition was a photoetch fret from Clear Prop too which helped to produce even more detailed cockpit and add some minor details into undercarriage bays. 

IMG_4748 IMG_4698 IMG_4706 IMG_4732

Despite kit's molding perfection - construction was not the simplest though as the fit is great but supertight. As soon as you miss fit by a fraction of a millimeter here and there - you start to accumulate gaps ending in not really well closing fuselage or wing not fitting well. Nevertheless after some careful dryfitting I think I was able to pull everything together in a nice way.

IMG_4700 IMG_4746 IMG_4773 IMG_4723

The only handcrafted additions were the pitot tube from brass tube and metal wire and wire antenna from fishing line. 

IMG_4759 IMG_4738 IMG_4785

Decals are from the kit. There are 4 options to model any of the two airframes: W4041 in three schemes as well as W4046. Decals worked perfectly. Very thin but at the same time very strong. Good adhesiveness. Not a lot of them but great quality helped to get the decals job done literally within an hour. 

IMG_4770

IMG_4726

IMG_4708

Model was painted with Tamiya acrylics XF-81 and XF-82 for upper surfaces and Hobby Color H329 for yellow. Panel lines are highlighted with a pencil. Some weathering added to flaps and undersides. Finished with Tamiya satin clear.

IMG_4794 IMG_4800

Lastly, here is a size comparison photo with Gloster Meteor:

IMG_4802

Feel the difference!

And of course photoes of my collection of aircraft powered by centrifugal compressor engines. Kind of the the Father and the Sons:

IMG_4804 IMG_4812

Hope you like this topic!

Merry Christmas 🎅 and Happy Holidays to everyone! 

Kind regards, 

Dennis

• Like 47
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, foxhandybread said:

Would it be weird to call a jet aircraft adorable?

Of course! More appropriate than calling a piston flying bookcase adorable :)

I just love jet aircraft :thumbsup: so all of them are adorable to me :) well maybe that Swedish SAAB J21R not so much :)

Edited by Dennis_C
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks all for likes and nice comments!!!

16 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

That's a lovely build of an important aircraft, and some really useful points on the Clear Prop kit.

Let me know if some more hints are needed :) the kit is good but requires care!

15 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

collection of centrifugal engine powered jets

Yeah - I do like this era of het aviation. Couple more are on workbench now including Vampire mk.I and a twin-stick Cougar (is that the last design with such engine???) And I have a MiG-15UTI in stash. What I impatiently wait is some better toolings of Venom, Attacker, Sea Hawk, MiG-17, P-59, Ouragan and Mystere IV. And maybe I should buy a Yak-23 kit as this is a very weirdly looking VK-1 powered jet!

• Like 1

Excellent Whittle/Gloster forerunner!

And theme collections appeal to me – yours is beautiful. I agree about your J 21R comment, but my heart beats strongly for the Saab (current spelling) fpl (short for 'flygplan', airplane) 29 Tunnan.

Great modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1

Thanks all for even more likes :)

12 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

I agree about your J 21R comment, but my heart beats strongly for the Saab (current spelling) fpl (short for 'flygplan', airplane) 29 Tunnan.

Tunnan is definitely a very good looking bird. Still in my view Kelly Johnson did the best job to hide barrel-looking engine into a very streamlined fuselage (T-bird is the prettiest of the trio P-80/T-33/F-94). And another successful attempt is MiG-15/17 although none of these are yet in my collection. 

12 hours ago, John Masters said:

I am very impressed by ClearProp kits and have a couple on the tarmac,

Yes, I was impressed either. Cockpit parts look as if they are cast from resin. I do not know how they did it. But that is clearly incredible. Moreover the subject choice is fantastic either. Helicopters, Vietnam war birds. Very nice. 

1 hour ago, JWM said:

That is a very nice model and the whole collection looks marvelous :)

Regards and have a Merry Christmas too

I'm extremely far from you in terms of quantity but over time I think several themes started to build up such as early jet aviation, trainer aircraft, a decent RAF collection. 

Anyway many thanks for appreciation and wesołych świąt to you!

Edited by Dennis_C
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2021 at 2:42 PM, foxhandybread said:

Would it be weird to call a jet aircraft adorable?

Nice work. When I built the Hi Planes version many years ago my wife thought that it was 'sweet'

John

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, John R said:

Nice work. When I built the Hi Planes version many years ago my wife thought that it was 'sweet'

John

That's funny but my wife also liked it a lot especially after I explained that it was one of the first jet airplanes and it was fully peaceful with no armament :)