APRS! Yak-3 + Kubel on the Ost front at the end of WW2 in Europe

Antoine

Hi there!

I've decided to set up a small vignette to present my Yak-3 finished a few days ago.

The base I'll use was build already some times ago for another aircraft, but never finished.

The title, APRS, is a nod to today's signature needed on an aircraft logbook to put it back in service after routine maintenance, and mean Approbation Pour Remise en Service, as I'll try to represent a moment at the end of a round of maintenance where the Soviet fitters are calling it a day and close the shop to go and have a drink at the nearest mess

I've found old pics of the base's WIP, so let's start with it!

I'm starting from a cheap photo frame.

aprs_010.jpg

Taking some dimensions to fit the hard base to the frame.

aprs_012.jpg

At the time, a try to visualise how it will look.

aprs_011.jpg

The rear part of the hard stand.

aprs_015.jpg

Test-fit.

aprs_014.jpg

Trying to give a better look to the balsa wood sticks.

They're fixed with white glue to the base.

aprs_013.jpg

Trying to have different levels on the base, with little blocks of polystyrene.

aprs_017.jpg

The ground is made of primer for walls (don't know how you call it...).

aprs_018.jpg

At the time, I wanted to have a try with dried tea, dusted on white glue.

aprs_021.jpg

But I don't like the result today...

aprs_020.jpg

So, a few days ago, I've raided my LHS to find this sort of stuff, which I think will fit perfectly.

aprs_019.jpg

So I'm starting from here!

Edited by Antoine
  • Like 3

Little test fit, to see who is going where!

My first vehicle choice was a Soviet GAZ-67, but I've changed my mind for a Kubel.

I've started with cleaning the surface as much as I can, then sanded it, so that the english lawn will stick better to the ground.

No question with the place of the aircraft.

I had a set of barrels from Tamiya, and I plan to use both US and German, which seems plausible to me.

The vehicle's place is not yet permanent, I'll have some more try, once I'd get the figs.

aprs_023.jpg

First test with the lawn.

There was different sizes available, and I think I've gone one size too far.

But that's ok, I'll deal with it.

It's really easy to use, just cut what you need with a scissor (or without!), and put it on a carpet of white glue.

And it's done!

I'll have a bit of trim to do, though.

aprs_022.jpg

Looks good to me, so I'm going on to the biggest one.

I'd try not to cut too straight, and I'll trim here too.

The barrel zone is left bare, as well as the taxiway access.

I'll soon add a few clump here and there.

aprs_024.jpg

Next to come is the ground in front of the hard stand.

• Like 5

Hi Antoine. I wondered where you'd disappeared to. I see now that you're in the land of the wingy things. Nice looking Yak, and I like what you've done with the base. I've got to do something similar for my Israeli armoured car. Hope that you had a nice Christmas and I'll wish you an early Bonne Annee.

John. 

By chance, while cleaning the workshop, I came upon a small stock of products dedicated to dioramas.

Exactly what I needed.

Never used, never opened.

Let's see how they work.

aprs_027.jpg

Textured paint was completely dry in the jar, but as it is an acrylic base, I woke it up with hot water, and then applied two coats with an old brush.

The result looks interesting, but I think I can improve it with colour modulation using an airbrush.

After digging a puddle, I've mixed resin with hardener (2:1 ration, with 3% of enamel light brown) and, after heating the vignette with a heat gun, I poured the mix on the hole, also laying a few drops here and there. Temps in the workshop are not optimum for drying, I have 14°/15° at best, where 20° would be necessary.

But that's not going to be a great problem, I can still work on the base even if the puddle's not dry.

aprs_026.jpg

The puddle looks good to me.

On the other side, I've tried to create wheels tracks, but it doesn't look good.

aprs_025.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Antoine.

Nice layout. The grass/flower matt looks great. I keep meaning to have a closer look at the stuff to see how they make it, and then make my own. The puddle looks very realistic as well.

You seem to have had some trouble with the  'soil' early on, the tea leaves being a mistake in my opinion. Tea leaves are better used for fallen/dead leaves, in my opinion, and I will use them as scatter over the ground, around and in clumps of grass., or gathered along the bottoms of walls/curbs etc, blown by the wind.

The soil is looking much better now, but I'd not spend money on 'mud products'. I make my own, mixing grit/sand/crushed brick/stone/plaster of paris, or whatever into acrylic paint and slapping that on, or sprinkling it loose over a coat of white PVA glue then applying lots of different washes. There's nothing wrong with your soil now, I mean, you do get red/brown soils just like that, but personally I'd add some variation, with darker brown washes applied here and there and especially along the edges of the grass for example. I'd also pick out some of the individual high spots by dry brushing the soil with lighter shades, again, here and there, not all over.

You may be planning on doing that anyway, in which case, I apologize! lol

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Antoine said:

I should have, but did not really plan anything, I'm just proceeding by trials and errors (a few trials, but many errors!).

Every comment/idea is welcome.

That's exactly the way I do things. Experiment and learn, listen and learn, learn and improve and share! lol

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Badder said:

That's exactly the way I do things. Experiment and learn, listen and learn, learn and improve and share! lol

I'm more in experiment, trash, experiment, trash, experiment, not listening, experiment again, throwing the model against the wall, and learning. Improving is a rare option!

7 hours ago, stevehnz said:

An interesting thread, coming along very nicely too. Some ideas in here that would be applicable to a variety of vignettes. Hmmmmm. 🤔 :)

Steve.

Hi Steve, you're too kind. Those ideas are not mine, I haven't reinvented the wheel.

And yes, I was thinking about building this vignette as a modulable base, that I could use on purpose for any WW2 aircraft. A 190 or a 109 would be nice also in place of the Yak.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Antoine said:

I'm more in experiment, trash, experiment, trash, experiment, not listening, experiment again, throwing the model against the wall, and learning. Improving is a rare option!

And that's fine too. And the smashing as well. I had a completed Nashorn which I accidentally  superglued two hands  to, and my hands together as well. After an hour I and the Nashorn were released from captivity. But the Nashorn was in a bad state. I had to completely strip of it of paint and then repaint it, weather it etc, and once finished decided to rinse off under a cold tap. The Nashorn couldn't take all of the abuse and started falling to bits, so I helped it by smashing it against the tap! 45+ quid down the drain! BTW, there was a BM chap who did a load of vignettes just like yours, aircraft and the odd vehicle and they were masterpieces. If I can remember his tag and find his work I'll post it in your thread. Might give you some inspiration...........

Rearguards,

Badder

• Haha 1