Sword 1:72nd Fairey Gannet AEW.3

Looking lovely with the decals in place Al, good luck with masking the decal, I have ripped decals after the have been sealed, using masking tape that I have detacked so the wet paper idea over sealed decals mentioned by Toby is a really good one.

Chris

• Like 2

Got some Mr Color satin in the post yesterday.  Hate ordering paints online as I end up paying silly amounts in postage and I never need to buy more than a couple at a time. I can't get Mr Color locally and am growing rather fond of them so had to suck it up..

Anyway, that delivery allowed me to deal the tail decal and get the masking in in preparation for redoing the sky:

IMG_20220417_191722

Copious amounts of tissue in case of overspray, and wet paper to cover the decal. This was a great idea, although the airbrush did dry it quite quickly meaning that it lifted off the surface so I had to keep wetting it.

The Tamiya sky dries really quickly so didn't have to wait long to see the results

IMG_20220417_220004

Not bad. Due to the paper drying and me reapplying it I've taken the bottom off the yellow stripe which is a bit annoying. But I can live with that. Took the opportunity to put the stripes on the other side and it's pretty near perfect

IMG_20220417_221227

I'm hoping that the difference in the tone of the sky is down to the new coat not having gloss over it.

Happy that little crisis is over, can now continue on with the decals. Although I do still have the stripes on the droptanks to do. Ignoring them hasn't magically caused them to do themselves 🤣

Al

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

I'm late to the party but it's been a joy catching up with this build and your various experiments with the airbrush, which are rather similar to my own! 

Great repair on the fin paint job! 

I'm happy to say that I'm week and truly on my way to being an airbrush convert. Was almost scared of it to begin with, mainly due to getting paint mixing wrong, but now I've got some idea of which paints spray well and what to thin them with I'm a lot happier. Hopefully your experiences are the same?

• 2 weeks later...

Time for another update. Have been plodding away at the decals on the gannet whilst also trying to build a Revell Corsair (what an awful kit that's turning out to be!).  Got most of the decals on now:

IMG_20220426_221253

There are quite a lot of stencils on the sheet that are not mentioned on the instructions so I need to have a look at the walk round section (again!) and see if I can identify where some of the more obvious ones go.

I'm discussing the rings on the drop tanks in twitter it was suggested that I might print my own decals for the black stripes. With this in mind, I got hold of some paper and varnish spray to give that a go. Trying it out by making the little blue lines that go under the cockpit between the footholds. The sheet only has two of them (one side).  I want to put them on both sides so thought I'd make my own - straight lines being a perfect thing to practise on!

20220426_205449

Once I found out how to turn on the ruler in MS Paint it was fairly straightforward. Print on the special paper and spray with the varnish. I sprayed a bit too much varnish so it's taking a while to dry so the moment of truth with have to wait.. 🤞

Got a bunch of PE aerials that need to go on the wings which look really fiddly, also landing gear and the droptanks. Then we're done 😳

Al

• Like 3

Looking good. I know what you mean about ordering on line. My LMS is 500 k away in Cape Town or the same distance north in Durban. I have a craft shop, which stocks very limited modelling goods.  I'm gravitating from Tamiya and Humbrol to Tamiya LP and Mr Hobby. It  will take time...

Colin

• Like 1

Decided last night it was time to get in with some of the remaining assembly. I was planning on doing the wheels and gear doors nearer the end but decided to throw caution to the wind 🤣

IMG_20220427_222207_003

I pretty much knew she was going to stand on all 3 pins, but nice to see it in the flesh 👍

Al

• Like 6

12 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Looking good. I know what you mean about ordering on line. My LMS is 500 k away in Cape Town or the same distance north in Durban. I have a craft shop, which stocks very limited modelling goods.  I'm gravitating from Tamiya and Humbrol to Tamiya LP and Mr Hobby. It  will take time...

Colin

500km?  Wow - that puts it into perspective, I have 3 within 10 miles 😮

So I've declared decalling over.  There are still a bunch of stencils left on the sheet but the instructions don't mention them, and for the most part they're not that big so I'm leaving them behind.  I think I'm onto the home straight now, but I think it's littered with pot holes and abandoned shopping trolleys 😬  First up, the wing navigation lights - just pop em in, right?

IMG_20220504_225636

Nope.  Too big in just about every dimension 😡  I either try to sand them back, try and build up the lights using lots of layers of Kristal Klear, or try to fashion something out of the clear sprue.  Have seen lots of people do the latter, maybe its time for another new skill...

I was dreading putting on the little PE struts that go between the pylons and the wings, cos they looked right fiddly, but actually a couple of dollops of loctite gel and they went on a treat 

IMG_20220504_231340

Getting there, but this last mile is proving to be a slow one.  Still got stripes on one drop tank to deal with as well..

Al.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

A few weeks ago I triumphantly announced I was "nearly there".  Well, I finally got the Gannet over the finishing line last night after a concerted effort to finish the last bits of construction - drop tanks, wing aerials, and rear doors.  Spent a while doing some weathering, I was planning on not going in too hard as these seemed to be fairly well kept from the photos I've seen.  However, I think I overdid it a little bit with the Flory wash and had trouble wiping it off so its a little more grubby than I was aiming for.  It was the end of a hard cruise, what can I say? 🙂

Some quick phone pics, I'll take some proper ones in due course and pop an RFI up.  Thanks for following along everyone, and for the encouragement and tips along the way.  Its been fun - I was reluctant to start this kit as I thought it was too hard, but it turned out pretty well in the end.

IMG_20220524_225646

IMG_20220524_225654

IMG_20220525_081411

IMG_20220524_225724

Al.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, alhenderson said:

I was reluctant to start this kit as I thought it was too hard, but it turned out pretty well in the end.

I'll say! It's turned out beautifully, and it's been a joy to follow the process and learn along the way. Great job!

Cheers,

Andy

• Like 1

Looking good, neat idea not to use all the stencils. I think in 72nd scale it looks OTT. BTW, don't forget to paint the nosewheel discs red and green respectively, the nosewheel was full castoring so needed realigning before launch.

Colin

11 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

Looking good, neat idea not to use all the stencils. I think in 72nd scale it looks OTT. BTW, don't forget to paint the nosewheel discs red and green respectively, the nosewheel was full castoring so needed realigning before launch.

Colin

My main problem with a lot of the stencils was that I couldn't find where they were supposed to go - a lot of them didn't seem to be mentioned in the instructions.  That's a neat little detail about the nosewheel colours, I hadn't noticed that before.  Not sure I'm brave enough to embark on that now, though..

Al.

4 hours ago, trikke11 said:

The weathering is just fine. Factoryclean aircraft are a bit unrealistic, I think. Unless they've just come out of the factory.

Thanks, you're right of course.  I was a little annoyed with the Flory wash as I couldn't get some of it off no matter how wet I made it which means some bits are grubbier than I would have liked.

Al.