Seafire F.XVII SX336 - 1/32 Build questions

WV908

Hi all - I've just picked up a copy of Jim Brown's 1/32 Seafire 17 conversion and intend to build SX336 with it. 

I note that there are some excellent walk-around photos of SX336 on here which form a good basis for cockpit work etc.

Would anyone be able to suggest some useful aftermarket for this conversion please? Looking at cockpit details, brass cannon and rather crucially decals. 

I'll be using the Revell IX for this conversion and will be modifying the wings of this rather than buying the GMF wings.

Cheers,

WV908

Hi Ossington,

They are available through Jim's eBay shop (search 1/32 Seafire conversion) - I bought the last of the current batch of XVII conversions but the XV is still available. He does Spitfire Griffon conversions too. 

The other option (also usually available through eBay) are the GMF conversions - but they only cater for Spits, not Seafires. 

Cheers,

WV908

• 2 weeks later...

I am waiting for his next batch of Seafire XV and XVII conversions. I contacted Jim through eBay as his kits were withdrawn. He told me he had run out and would be producing more in the new year. I too would be interested in aftermarket and decal options.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2021 at 6:57 AM, WV908 said:

Would anyone be able to suggest some useful aftermarket for this conversion please? Looking at ...brass cannon

This isn't exactly right, since it is intended for the 'e' wing, but has the late curved-style cannon fairing:

http://master-model.pl/product/am-32-020.html

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Gatesy64 said:

I am waiting for his next batch of Seafire XV and XVII conversions. I contacted Jim through eBay as his kits were withdrawn. He told me he had run out and would be producing more in the new year. I too would be interested in aftermarket and decal options.

Hi Gatesy,

Yes he did contact me to say the moulds were worn out and he is remaking them in the new year. I kept my order so look forward to the conversion arriving in the near future. 

For decals i'm going to be investing in a silhouette cutter to make painting masks as D-type roundels just do not exist in 1/32 bar those on the AIMS montone Spitfires sheet (too small) and in the Revell / Matchbox 1/32 Spitfire 22 kits (too big). Code / serial letters don't seem to be an issue fortunately.

18 hours ago, gingerbob said:

This isn't exactly right, since it is intended for the 'e' wing, but has the late curved-style cannon fairing:

http://master-model.pl/product/am-32-020.html

Thanks gingerbob, much appreciated.

Cheers,

WV908

Sadly that sheet appears to be out of stock everywhere - but it looks like only the two largest roundels would be any good if at all. At any rate, I need 12 of the things to cover this and one of my PR.XIX's so that's a lot of sheets to buy. 

Cheers,

WV908

3 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Good excuse to experiment with masks?  I haven't tried it yet myself, but the results I've seen look great.

Try Maketar masks for the roundels and codes. They will do custom sizes ones for a decent price. I've used them numerous times for many of my Spitfire builds in 1/32. 

DSC_0149-600x339.jpg

DSC_0150-600x339.jpg

IMG_20200713_152232-600x459.jpg

Although it's not a Spitfire this is my most recent paint job using paint masks. 

PXL_20211014_015440459-600x450.jpg

Carl

Edited by FG2Si
  • Thanks 1