Airfix 1:72nd JP T.4 Red Pelicans

Aldi special Airfix kit bought December 2020, finally got to the top of the pile.  Nothing special about it really, but there were (as ever!) some learnings along the way.  Firstly, you can use methylated spirits to remove acrylic paint.  I initially attempted to brush paint the red over a white Tamiya primer, it became clear after the second coat that was going to be a long and arduous road so decided to get a rattle can instead.  Don't ask why that wasn't my first port of call!  Before spraying, though, I wanted to get rid of what I'd painted.  Tried Mr Muscle oven cleaner but that didn't touch it - but a £2 bottle of meths from Screwfix did the job perfectly.  I now have a can of Mr Muscle that I have no idea what to do with - I won't be asking the good lady wife for advice 🤣

The finish from the rattle can of Humbrol 19 is lovely, the red is so deep and vibrant, if I was trying to do that with a brush I'd probably still be at it!  One small issue I did have was that the white primer showed up on the edges of the red when I removed the masking from the canopy.  Not great as its really obvious given the contrast with the red.  Not entirely sure how that happened.

Also - the recommended 2.5g of nose weight is not quite enough (or, my scales are rubbish!).  She's ever so slightly tail heavy so I need a small blob of blu tack under the nosewheel.  Thought about trying to get some blu tack inside the cockpit but there's not enough room, and it'd probably look rubbish.  Lesson there - fill the nose with as much as you can!

I was a bit worried about the red background on the Central Flying School titles not matching the paint, but I don't think its meant to.  Saw at least one picture online where it didn't.  Really happy with the glossy finish from the Pledge as well - looks the biz.  I've chosen not to weather her - she's a display bird so going to assume she was kept in top notch condition.  

Anyway - on with the pics.

IMG_2279

IMG_2277

IMG_2275

IMG_2272

IMG_2267

Next up is, I think, a Sword Gannet AEW.3.  Feel like that's going to be an entirely different kettle of fish!

Al.

• Like 26

Looks good, it's a top little kit, isn't it? 

Re oven cleaner as paint stripper - ya needs ta get the caustic-based one, or else it won't work. There's every chance that caustic oven cleaners are no longer available (that dratted safety elf again), certainly they're harder to find here than they used to be, so metho makes a good substitute for stripping acrylic. An ammonia-based cleaner such as Windex works well too. 

7 hours ago, Rob G said:

Looks good, it's a top little kit, isn't it? 

Re oven cleaner as paint stripper - ya needs ta get the caustic-based one, or else it won't work. There's every chance that caustic oven cleaners are no longer available (that dratted safety elf again), certainly they're harder to find here than they used to be, so metho makes a good substitute for stripping acrylic. An ammonia-based cleaner such as Windex works well too. 

Ah, that would explain it. I just bought Mr Muscle, wasn't paying attention to the ingredients.. happily we've got a "self cleaning oven" so I'm not going to be expected to put it to any other use 🤣

Al

8 hours ago, kapam said:

Nice one!

Looks very striking in the all-over red scheme.

I love the pose with the canopy slid back too!

:clap2::clap2:

Yeah, nice little option to do that. Interestingly, Airfix provide two canopies - one for open and one for closed. Seems odd since they're the same thing in real life, but I guess there are good reasons for it.

Al

15 hours ago, alhenderson said:

Interestingly, Airfix provide two canopies - one for open and one for closed. Seems odd since they're the same thing in real life, but I guess there are good reasons for it.

I don't have the kit, but I think it likely that one is a little larger than the other to fit over the fuselage in "slid-back" pose.

It's a slight concession to scale accuracy but it is becoming more common.

I remember building my Academy P-40, believing the sliding section would work that way (there being no such second canopy).

I was disappointed to find out it would not drop down over the behind-seat area!!  😕

• Like 2

12 hours ago, kapam said:

I don't have the kit, but I think it likely that one is a little larger than the other to fit over the fuselage in "slid-back" pose.

It's a slight concession to scale accuracy but it is becoming more common.

I remember building my Academy P-40, believing the sliding section would work that way (there being no such second canopy).

I was disappointed to find out it would not drop down over the behind-seat area!!  😕

Of course, now I think about it, you're correct. The 'open' canopy would sit flush in the closed position and the 'closed' one wouldn't fit if slid back. I'm glad Airfix did it as it just gives you the option to do something a little different.

Al.

That looks rather tasty. I got one from Aldi in November this year. Mine will be a 2TWU camouflage jobby. Thanks for the nosesweight tip 👍

Does the kit have the auxiliary intakes behind the cockpit that differentiates it from the T.3? I’ve looked on the stories but unless I’m going blind, I can’t see them.

Trevor

That's nice.

I did one of those Aldi specials too. I couldn't be bothered with the nose weight faffing around so I stuck mine on a stand. 

I'm old enough to remember seeing the Red Pelicans at the RAF Biggin Hill airshow in the '60's. 👴

3 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

That looks rather tasty. I got one from Aldi in November this year. Mine will be a 2TWU camouflage jobby. Thanks for the nosesweight tip 👍

Does the kit have the auxiliary intakes behind the cockpit that differentiates it from the T.3? I’ve looked on the stories but unless I’m going blind, I can’t see them.

Trevor

I don't think it does, but then looking at photos online I'm struggling to tell the difference between a T.3 and a T.4 externally...

Al.

Nice little JP there well done! :thumbsup2:

As you raised the question...   ...the external differences between a JP3 and a JP4 are very subtle.  As Trevor mentions, the JP4 has some slightly more prominent intakes on the upper fuselage in the same location as the flush ones on the JP3, it also has different elevator horns, both of these features are the same as those found on the JP5.  As I've said, these differences are very subtle so its no surprise you couldn't spot them.

Additionally, the JP4 had a grey cockpit with, IIRC, black instrument panel as opposed to the all black cockpit of the JP3.

These comments shouldn't detract from the fact you've made a very nice model that you should be proud of.

• Like 2