For your agenda - Monday 10th January - 4.PM - Airfix 2022 range launch

Homebee

2 hours ago, Simon Cornes said:

Is £94.99 the rrp or a preorder price? What I’m trying to clarify is if that price will increase when the kit is actually in the shops? I haven’t ordered directly from Airfix for a kit that isn’t actually available yet.

Think it’s the RRP, as having preordered two, I got a £19 discount and they’ll be roughly £170 together. I’m happy at that for a new new kit at 1/24. I already have two spare, brand new Hornby propmotors that hopefully will fit the engine nicely. All I need is a power pack to put in the fuselage. 

34 minutes ago, Fea said:

Ayup all... 

Any idea if the new MK IX Spit has a pilot ? It seems daft for it not to if it doesn’t. 

Never mind the pilot, where's the groundcrew??  That engine and open gun panels are just begging for a maintenance scene, the Tiffie was the same!

• Like 1

As so many threads were started on the new spit here and other areas of the forum all of them got removed by accident as were trying to sort out which was which.

One thread has been restored, please post about this kit there. Any new threads going forward will automatically be deleted

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

30 minutes ago, John Thompson said:

Nice. My question, though, is, will Airfix collaborate with PSL on a new volume in their "Classic Aircraft - Their History and How to Model Them" series, dedicated to the Mk.IX ?

Unlikely; in that as far as I can tell PSL(Patrick Stephens Ltd) ceased operations in Oct 2020. However they were a part of the Haynes Group... so you might have the germ of a good idea there... a new Airfix/Haynes tie up: "Classic Aircraft, Their History and How to Model Them: The Supermarine Spitfire".

Could happen... 👍

Rich

PS Sorry @Julien only saw your warning after I posted my reply - delete if inappropriate.

Edited by RichG

4 minutes ago, RichG said:

Unlikely; in that as far as I can tell PSL(Patrick Stephens Ltd) ceased operations in Oct 2020. However they were a part of the Haynes Group... so you might have the germ of a good idea there... a new Airfix/Haynes tie up: "Classic Aircraft, Their History and How to Model Them: The Supermarine Spitfire".

Could happen... 👍

Rich

I thought there was one already. I have the Airfix one for the Stuka. Unfortunately I don’t have that superkit due to stupid prices (£150+), I’m NOT paying that. Edit: There’s a PSL one for £30 on eBay. I seem to have lost mine...

Edited by Fea

2 minutes ago, RichG said:

Could happen... 👍

Rich

I thought there was one already. I have the Airfix one for the Stuka. Unfortunately I don’t have that superkit due to stupid prices (£150+), I’m NOT paying that. 

Hi @Fea 

I think that the OP @John Thompson was suggesting (possibly tongue-in-cheek) Airfix revive this old series (designed to support Airfix's original SuperKit range) with a new / update. Back in the 1970's Airfix were trail blazing by teaming up with a publisher to produce a series books showing how to get the best from these kits whilst providing a reasonable history of the type. They provided novice modellers with useful insights into producing a better result and historic background to their chosen subject. These days the market is awash with publications covering similar ground including Airfix themselves.

Nevertheless I just suggested there may be merit in Airfix having a tie-up with someone like Haynes (as owners of the former publishers) to produce a new technical/history/modelling series (who knows this could start a rumour...) 

Rich

• Like 1

Just now, RichG said:

Hi @Fea 

I think that the OP @John Thompson was suggesting (possibly tongue-in-cheek) Airfix revive this old series (designed to support Airfix's original SuperKit range) with a new / update. Back in the 1970's Airfix were trail blazing by teaming up with a publisher to produce a series books showing how to get the best from these kits whilst providing a reasonable history of the type. They provided novice modellers with useful insights into producing a better result and historic background to their chosen subject. These days the market is awash with publications covering similar ground including Airfix themselves.

Nevertheless I just suggested there may be merit in Airfix having a tie-up with someone like Haynes (as owners of the former publishers) to produce a new technical/history/modelling series (who knows this could start a rumour...) 

Rich

The problem with that is that Haynes aren’t producing those books anymore. 

I know there is a dedicated thread for the 1/24 Spitfire Mk.IXc but as the comment I'm quoting came from this thread I'll reply here.

1 hour ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Anyone seen the video? Two different types of rudder at least...

I missed that on my first viewing, well spotted!

• Like 1

As I said in another thread.. 

The longer I'm looking at the sprue shots, the happier I'm becoming. 
multiple spoked wheel variants, the original & larger Aerovee carb intake, early and extended horn balance tailplanes, and the pointed rudder - and the tailwheel assembly seems to cater for a modular approach allowing for either a Mk.VIII or (dare we hope?) PR.XI with retractable tailwheel.  Also, it looks like two different aileron styles are present, again something peculiar to the VIII.

27 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

As I said in another thread.. 

The longer I'm looking at the sprue shots, the happier I'm becoming. 
multiple spoked wheel variants, the original & larger Aerovee carb intake, early and extended horn balance tailplanes, and the pointed rudder - and the tailwheel assembly seems to cater for a modular approach allowing for either a Mk.VIII or (dare we hope?) PR.XI with retractable tailwheel.  Also, it looks like two different aileron styles are present, again something peculiar to the VIII.

where do I find these sprue shots?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Toe said:

Even in a mid size town as my own Ipswich the choice of kits/paints/sundries is pretty woeful, railway shop with paints/knives, a Games Workshop shop and a Hobbycraft a few miles away is about it, not the most easily reached hobby locally and almost certainly repeated across the country but that is how retail is now 

But you are only an hour away from the Mecca of Modelling in Oulton Broad....😉

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

But you are only an hour away from the Mecca of Modelling in Oulton Broad....😉

Continuing OT for a moment - @Toe you are only 35 mins from Model Junction in Bury St Edmunds. I lived in London for a number of years and in those days would envy someone who could get to such a shop in that time. Model Junction used to be my LMS but we now have a small Model/Craft shop - Model Behaviour - in Long Melford (which is only 45 mins from you).

Back OT - Hornby announced their range a 7am this morning and the good news is their web-site does not seem to have slowed down. The number of new tools and re-issues seems to be about the same as in recent years. Some of the prices are eye watering though and certainly make me think most of my modelling budget will be away for model railings in 2022.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Paul821 said:

Some of the prices are eye watering though

I know this is straying well away from this threads topic, but holy heck… do people really spend that much on model railways?? If that’s the case, we (and our partners) should all be glad we are scale modellers. Good new about the website not going Kaputski either. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cardiff guy said:

. . . 

And I hope that father Airfix ( sorry to assume their gender ), brings you all at least something you will like. 🤣

'Father' Airfix comes with multiple parts so you can build him/her in any gender you like

As the old Airfix adverts used to say 'Just like real life'

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

where do I find these sprue shots?

Someone on another site went to the Invite special reveal by Airfix Sunday 9th and posted pics (with permission). 

Surprised - and a little disappointed - that no-one here saw fit to do the same?

9 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Someone on another site went to the Invite special reveal by Airfix Sunday 9th and posted pics (with permission). 

Surprised - and a little disappointed - that no-one here saw fit to do the same?

Link? I'd like to take a look