For your agenda - Monday 10th January - 4.PM - Airfix 2022 range launch

Homebee

53 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

If it's the 1/72 kit, they can market it as a gift set complete with knives, files, clamps, coarse grade wet &  dry and, a large tube of filler😉😂

John

Ps -  I'd suggest including a bottle of Laphroaig as well because, you certainly need it after tackling that kit!! 🥃🥃

Not a kit that interests me in the least, but if a bottle of Laphroaig is involved, I'll be buying TSR2s by the dozen!

Edited by Fukuryu
  • Haha 6

24 minutes ago, Des said:

My memories of the 1/72 'Limited Edition' TSR2 release was that production numbers were intended to be limited to demand (as you might recall many major sellers requested that the item be pre-ordered to ensure deliveries) and not that it would never be re-released again although the inference was that it would not be produced again for some considerable time.

I did write to Airfix at the time of the original release asking if they would consider a full colour stencil decal sheet for 'what-iffers' with any future re-release and was told that it could be considered in due course as opposed to being told that there would never be any future re-release.

If that was at the time of the original release, that was a 'different' Airfix.

1 hour ago, Armadillos said:

as can be seen on the Hornby trains forums from many very angry comments.

Crikey, things must be bad if railway modellers are beginning to complain about prices! Now there's a hobby that requires very deep pockets.

The thought of Airfix releasing a carrier is interesting. The argument goes that "ships don't sell", but they do keep getting nagged to do Leaky Lizzie. Maybe it's possible that they could test the, um, water with Ark Royal IV, because if any British carrier subject is going to sell it would be that one. But it's still a huge commercial gamble as it certainly wouldn't be cheap.

Follow up on the price increases using the Vulcan as an example if it cost £58.99 when it went up for pre order in 2020, it should cost inflation adjusted just under £61 (should being the key word, I'm no economist I just googled inflation since 2020 and did the maths). Yet it now costs £72.49. Definitely other costs behind it

6 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

Wonder why it’s at 4pm not the usual 10am?

This year both Hornby (trains) and Airfix are launching their ranges on the same day. Hornby in the morning and Airfix in the afternoon.

3 hours ago, 352nd Fighter Group said:

With Airfix Done a Hawker Typhoon Tempest V 1/72 scale do you Think we will see  a Tempest MK.II or sea fury in 1/72 

I doubt we'll see a Tempest II from Airfix in 1/72. Thankfully there's two others either recently released or on its way.

A Sea Fury is more likely. They've done it in 1/48 and it's a more important type in terms of British service than the Tempest II.

4 hours ago, Thomas V. said:

Still cannot grasp that Airfix did not tool and release new Spitfire Mk.I in 1/24  for 80th anniversary of BoB and 50th anniversary of old Mk.I tooling in 2020, biggest omission in my view and hope that new Mk.I is on its way.

As for pricing, they better vastly improve both styrene quality and QC, rrp for what one gets in the box is already too high.

There's absolutely no need to re-tool.  Most of the buyers aren't modelers (true of all purchases) and in some cases don't even build them! The said Spitfire makes an 'easy' gift for an elder relative to a younger family member, and the square box makes is easy to gift wrap.  The money (remember they are still in debt) is better used for other subjects: there's no shortage of suggestions here on BM!

13 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Has Ray at @26Decals got wind of a Bristol Superfreighter re-issue announcement on Monday?

He's just announced 7 new decal schemes for the kit:-

http://www.26decals.com/epages/62035508.sf/en_GB/?ObjectID=79984&ViewAction=FacetedSearchProducts&SearchString=superfreighter

It's a possibility!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Has Ray at @26Decals got wind of a Bristol Superfreighter re-issue announcement on Monday?

He's just announced 7 new decal schemes for the kit:-

http://www.26decals.com/epages/62035508.sf/en_GB/?ObjectID=79984&ViewAction=FacetedSearchProducts&SearchString=superfreighter

I knew I had not started my old boxing for a reason! Now, which do I choose?

Ray

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

If this is re-released, I will be happy. 

Given a Social Media post a couple of months back, I'm also thinking we'll see a Bond Bug

/P

18 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Follow up on the price increases using the Vulcan as an example if it cost £58.99 when it went up for pre order in 2020, it should cost inflation adjusted just under £61 (should being the key word, I'm no economist I just googled inflation since 2020 and did the maths). Yet it now costs £72.49. Definitely other costs behind it

Someone in the trade said on another forum he is having huge problems getting stock as the price of a container has gone up from £2000 to £12,000 a time in the last 18 months. That not only increases costs to us, but he said he can't hit announced release dates on new kits unless he can fill a container at the right time as shipping part ones for the sake of the few new kits just isn't viable.

I suppose Airfix are hitting the same problems even if they're looking at tens of containers a time instead of single ones.

Andy

• Like 1

With only 2 more sleeps to go, I can fully predict that I will be bankrupt by the end of the year due to the announcement of the all new singing and dancing 1/48  Buccaneer.

Followed next year by the 1/48 Spey Phantom.

I shall also be treating my wife to what ever she wants (even if I can't afford it) to keep the peace in the house.

That was life.

Dick

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, psdavidson said:

If this is re-released, I will be happy. 

Given a Social Media post a couple of months back, I'm also thinking we'll see a Bond Bug

/P

I hope so I've been badgering any Airfix people I encounter about this for ages. Fantastic little beasts even when one of mine became a convertible on the M5 some years ago.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Foxbat said:

Someone in the trade said on another forum he is having huge problems getting stock as the price of a container has gone up from £2000 to £12,000 a time in the last 18 months. That not only increases costs to us, but he said he can't hit announced release dates on new kits unless he can fill a container at the right time as shipping part ones for the sake of the few new kits just isn't viable.

I suppose Airfix are hitting the same problems even if they're looking at tens of containers a time instead of single ones.

Andy

As someone who was in the trade ,and imported kits from Eastern European dealers Airfix could learn a trick and supply flat boxes and sprue's. Which makes smaller airlifted shipments viable . Or at least downsize the boxes to the 1970s sizes as all shipping is now volumetric so at  a large chunk of the insane container pricing is currently shipping air not plastic .

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 2:21 PM, Denford said:

There's absolutely no need to re-tool.

The 1/24 Spitfire Mk.Ia was the first Airfix “Superkit” and has been in the catalogue, if not continuously then with few breaks since it’s release in 1970; it’s over 50 years old and, to be quite frank, the tooling is shot. As the first Airfix 1/24 kit, it’s also not close to the level of detail that was achieved with the Hurricane and Ju 87B. A new tool should be made because, despite its flaws, the Airfix kit is still a better representation of a Spitfire than the awful Trumpeter kit. A new Mk.I or V in 1/24 would sell, and sell in large numbers. It should be a no-brainer to do it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Neil Lambess said:

Or at least downsize the boxes to the 1970s sizes

I’m not sure that’s possible with the newer Hornby toolings as the sprues seem sized to the box in many cases. That said, box size inflation is a real issue. It’s amazing how the parts frames for many kits now come in bags that rattle around the box because the box is so much bigger than it needs to be.

• Like 2

On 12/22/2021 at 9:38 PM, wombat said:

What’s the usual lag between announcing and availability? We’re talking 2023 aren’t we?

Yep ! But It’s obviously going to be underwhelming as usual. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fea said:

Yep ! But It’s obviously going to be underwhelming as usual. 

Glass is half empty chap are you? cant understand pre doom and gloom at all, lets just wait an see eh? and maybe be happy for what we do get.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1