For your agenda - Monday 10th January - 4.PM - Airfix 2022 range launch

Homebee

4 hours ago, Wulfman said:

but the one I’d like to see most is the Oscar, not currently well served I 1/72.

Beg to differ: the Fujimi kit was first released in 2014 and the Fine Molds in 2019

1226086-27767-56-720.jpg

975908-20195-47-pristine.jpg

1194245-47642-56-720.jpg

973359-16766-73-pristine.jpg

942029-27826-34-pristine.jpg

1245623-27767-90-pristine.jpg

178264-47642-14-720.jpg

1 hour ago, VMA131Marine said:

Beg to differ: the Fujimi kit was first released in 2014 and the Fine Molds in 2019

1226086-27767-56-720.jpg

975908-20195-47-pristine.jpg

1194245-47642-56-720.jpg

973359-16766-73-pristine.jpg

942029-27826-34-pristine.jpg

1245623-27767-90-pristine.jpg

178264-47642-14-720.jpg

I’m very aware of these kits, but they are no longer easily available.

Wulfman

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wulfman said:

I’m very aware of these kits, but they are no longer easily available.

Wulfman

Nor the best representations of the different Ki-43.

• Like 2

I can't remember which manufacturer it was, or indeed it's relevance but I do recall seeing a Tamiya, I think, P-38 box on or under a desk in the programme.

On 1/5/2022 at 7:38 PM, John Thompson said:

I thought I saw a new 1/72 Yak-9 in one of those videos; or was it just persistence of vision, from staring at Yak-9 photos for too long?! :hypnotised:

John

If a kit could be magiced up through pure, desperate hope (or forlorn optimism), it would be a 1/72 Yak-9. I really hope it happens for you this year! Imagine the party...😄

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Maybe the Ki-43 as part of a Dogfight Double with the Blenheim 1? (as seen on the superb box art) 😊

John

It would be nice if they used box art as teaser for future projects, but then again the CR42 on the Gladiator art never materialized. A Ki-43 or similar Japanese fighter would also make a nice Dogfight Double with the Tomahawk though.

I wonder if "all your favourite categories" also includes WW1? Not really an area of focus since the BE2 and Fokker a few years back, but certainly popular enough with modellers.

26 minutes ago, IT_Man said:

Looks like there is a 10% price increase on the Series pricing too. 

Vampire has gone up by £3, and looks like many others have too.. Vulcan now £72 (was £66 before)

yikes. They're rapidly making this hobby unaffordable to younger modellers. iirc the original price was £58.99 same as the Victor? That's already quite expensive but justifiable. So few younger people are getting into scale modelling as it is but this just won't help. 

This is outpacing inflation so it can't be completely blamed on that, other factors are at play here. I imagine it's largely to do with increased shipping and handling costs - I'm sure we all know what that's down to but let's not discuss that here please. 

If the prices need to go up because of increased costs, then fine, but I think Airfix would do well to lower or at least freeze the price of the new simplified starter sets given the target audience and that it is an entry point to the hobby. 

• Like 2

Interesting blog this week, mainly focused on the vintage classics, some clues there, but they have said that the TSR2, Westland Whirlwind (helo)  and Bloodhound kits were very popular choices when they asked for suggestions. No confirmation that they will be included though.

There is a section on the Spitfire event on sunday and it contains the following para:

"As all Airfix fans will know, the Spitfire and Airfix go hand in glove, so to have the opportunity to speak about our association with this iconic aircraft at the spiritual home of the Spitfire is one which the team are really looking forward to and one which might already prove to be one of our event highlights of the year. As this is shaping up to be a truly memorable occasion, will there be any other Airfix related announcements coming from Duxford this coming Sunday? Stay tuned to Airfix social media and the website homepage on Sunday to hear about all the latest developments."

Not sure what to make of the bold text, will they announce a new kit ahead of Monday?  Cant see why they would mention this if unless there is some sort of announcement albeit new tool or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trickydicky210 said:

Wonder why it’s at 4pm not the usual 10am?

Because when they announce the immediate release of their new 1/72 Avro Manchester no-one in the country will be able to get any more work done for the day as they will be so excited. So the UK government have advised them to do the announcement later. 

Edited by Pete F
  • Like 1
  • Haha 9

40 minutes ago, trickydicky210 said:

Cant see why they would mention this if unless there is some sort of announcement albeit new tool or not.

If it's making you go to the Airfix website, then it has served it's marketing purpose :P

Come to think of it, the Mk.IX Spit has been absent for a while now. And Eduard's 1/72 ones are no longer on stock.

Hmmm... 

-- 

Related to some remarks in the Revell thread:
https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news/workbench/vintage-airfix-welcome-2022

They seem to be really flying that Vintage banner to good effect lately :)

Revell, Italeri, are you paying attention? This is how you do it!

• Like 1

Still cannot grasp that Airfix did not tool and release new Spitfire Mk.I in 1/24  for 80th anniversary of BoB and 50th anniversary of old Mk.I tooling in 2020, biggest omission in my view and hope that new Mk.I is on its way.

As for pricing, they better vastly improve both styrene quality and QC, rrp for what one gets in the box is already too high.

Edited by Thomas V.
  • Like 1

I thought they made comment some years back that the 1/72  TSR2 was marketed as a 'limited' edition' much like the Nimrod - and notwithstanding the Stratos reboxing (when they finally worked out why they were selling a shedload in the Far East) which 'got round the problem' so wouldn't be issued again. No such comments on the 1/48 one though...

It certainly augers well for a big Spit reveal at DX  - they have also alluded to a BIG announcement which suggests either a new tool 1/24 machine (I've previously suggested a XIV for which there is no competition and gives a high and low back boxing option)  and note there is no 1/24 Spit currently in their range (only the Vintage Classics Hurri, 109 and the two Tiffie boxings remain even the Hellcat is out of stock).

https://www.iwm.org.uk/events/evolution-of-an-icon-the-spitfire-tour

Note both a high back (RN201) and low back (MV293) are on display (though also there are a couple of MK1s and Vs   ah well maybe that doesnt work!) 

Maybe they'll hit us with two Spitfire new releases as they're making such a big fuss about it, though in fairness there was no Telford this year - and perhaps the TR.9 I keep banging on about will turn up in 1/72 or 1/48..

OR a socking great ship be that the QE2/POW or Ark Royal

I think the ship reveal is part of the background for a naval aviation subject ;)

Smart money on the Vintage Classics is also the Bond Bug - its a logical follow on from the Beach Buggy which seems to have done well....and maybe a Ford or two...

Still we've plenty of 'early warning' of what the biggie might be if revealed at DX  as the event is the day before the range unveiling...

TT

Just read the Airfix email. good lord ... are they suggesting a possibility of an Airfix 1/24 TSR2?   That was my first thought when I read their email update hint esque type thing LOL.

I guess not, but hints there are something for everyone in all their favourite scales, so maybe, just maybe, they will do a new tool 1/24 Spitfire MK 1 or other version as a lot of folk here wish for, not my fave scale, but I'd buy one., it sure could kickstart their 1/24 series again, then follow with the 109 and so on and so forth.

Just thinking aloud :)

3 hours ago, IT_Man said:

Looks like there is a 10% price increase on the Series pricing too. 

Vampire has gone up by £3, and looks like many others have too.. Vulcan now £72 (was £66 before)

This is common across the Hornby range as can be seen on the Hornby trains forums from many very angry comments.

Given the increases there 10% on Airfix is a gentle increase, in fact when considering the issues manufacturers such as Revell have mentioned i expect another increase mid year sadly

1 hour ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

I thought they made comment some years back that the 1/72  TSR2 was marketed as a 'limited' edition' much like the Nimrod - and notwithstanding the Stratos reboxing (when they finally worked out why they were selling a shedload in the Far East) which 'got round the problem' so wouldn't be issued again. No such comments on the 1/48 one though...

My memories of the 1/72 'Limited Edition' TSR2 release was that production numbers were intended to be limited to demand (as you might recall many major sellers requested that the item be pre-ordered to ensure deliveries) and not that it would never be re-released again although the inference was that it would not be produced again for some considerable time.

I did write to Airfix at the time of the original release asking if they would consider a full colour stencil decal sheet for 'what-iffers' with any future re-release and was told that it could be considered in due course as opposed to being told that there would never be any future re-release.

• Like 1