For your agenda - Monday 10th January - 4.PM - Airfix 2022 range launch

Homebee

5 hours ago, Denford said:

It will come, but not just yet.  They only issued the Vc last year, and there are lots of colours, variations and the like that can be 'produced' from it.

For once I fully agree with you, I think it will be a few years until we next see a new tool 1/72 Spitfire from Airfix... As much as I'd like an early 1/72 Seafire right now

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

I could see a Mosquito re issue with parts for (say) Tse-Tse. Has anyone who has the current release checked the lettering on the sprues to see if there is a ‘missing’ one?

But if f a new subject, I would venture something Japanese maybe? Zero, Tony or Frank  anyone?

Trevor

Are you talking 1/72?  It would have to be pretty much a completely different kit.  The Mosquito XVIII had single stage Merlins and the flat screen canopy, not mentioning the nose etc.  Plus it would need new bomb doors (not a bad thing as they are completely wrong anyway!) so there would be many differences which the current moulding couldn't really accomodate.  I would imagine the same issues would exist with their 1/48th kit.  

58 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

New kits of the Lanc in 144th and 148th to go with thier 1/72nd?

A decent Lanc in 1/144th would be most welcome, but I doubt it would come from Airfix. The Amodel 1/144 Lanc is more accurate than the Minicraft (ex-Crown) kit, but it is still pretty crude. Maybe it’s something Roden would do as they are releasing a steady stream of 1/144 WWII kits. Their Boeing 307 Stratoliner, He 111, and Fw 200 series kits in 1/144 are all quite nice.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Or an F4F Wildcat. The Wildcat/Martlet certainly has more possible colour schemes than the Corsair.

I agree with this, or maybe a Corsair or later P-40 Kittyhawk. So many different potential users & colour schemes & therefore so many more different options for Airfix to release & make money on. I always thought the Hellcat was a bit of an odd choice, for those of us that like the painting side, other than the one FAA option they are all just blue!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

A decent Lanc in 1/144th would be most welcome, but I doubt it would come from Airfix. The Amodel 1/144 Lanc is more accurate than the Minicraft (ex-Crown) kit, but it is still pretty crude. Maybe it’s something Roden would do as they are releasing a steady stream of 1/144 WWII kits. Their Boeing 307 Stratoliner, He 111, and Fw 200 series kits in 1/144 are all quite nice.

Beacon Models who are just tooling their first kit now have a 1/144 He111 planned, I believe for this year. They also have a Do17, Blenheim, Ju88, etc planned. A Lancaster, Halifax, Stirling, etc is an inevitable follow on from these kinds of kits

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt W said:

I agree with this, or maybe a Corsair or later P-40 Kittyhawk. So many different potential users & colour schemes & therefore so many more different options for Airfix to release & make money on. I always thought the Hellcat was a bit of an odd choice, for those of us that like the painting side, other than the one FAA option they are all just blue!

My original post specified a Corsair as a 'follow on' from the Hellcat, providing it sold well.  There's an added advantage that both had the same engine, propeller, (often) wheels, tyres and of course armament.  Haven't studied the sprues to see if any duplication is possible, but at the designs are already 'held', in digital form.

• Like 1

well Airfix day draws near and the we all start to speculate, if you watched the Hornby programme there was a few glimpses of an F35, it's probably safe to say we will see one in some scale or another this year.

The hint at Christmas looked like the Ark royal from the 1970's, if this comes true I will be building my first ship model, lets hope it's in a bigger scale.

They keep hinting at a Wessex well if it's 1/72 I won't complain. A new Jaguar in 1/72 must be on the cards, and other than the Landrovers we have not had a re release of all those wonderful old JB vehicles in a while. They are starting to reach silly prices on the second hand market, but hey what di I know?

Regards Glenn 

As much as I would like to see a kit of the Ark Royal I think it’s a red herring as the accompanying text said ‘clear the decks for the 2022 range launch’ so I think we are more likely to get a RN aircraft that served on the Ark Royal

a 1/48 Buccaneer was strongly suggested in the now closed Airfix 2022 topic, but we will know whatever it is soon enough.

Personally, I am hoping it’s a 1/48 SeaKing or Gannet🤞

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

I could see a Mosquito re issue with parts for (say) Tse-Tse. Has anyone who has the current release checked the lettering on the sprues to see if there is a ‘missing’ one?

But if f a new subject, I would venture something Japanese maybe? Zero, Tony or Frank  anyone?

Trevor

New Val is way overdue, Tony and Frank would be very welcome, but the one I’d like to see most is the Oscar, not currently well served I 1/72.

Wulfman

On 28/12/2021 at 09:54, Grimsbymodeller24 said:

Does anyone know of any rumoured vintage classic kits? It would certainly be nice to have some more old tanks 

A vintage classic Skyvan ( In Argentine colours) perhaps ?

Wulfman

Edited by Wulfman
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

The one on the show was more like 1/48 scale, probably around 25-30cm long

the quick build one is only 18cm, I know they Airfix do 3D prints, but they tend to be smaller, so I am sure that the one on the TV show is not the quick build kit. It could of course be someone else’s kit for reference.

Given how careful that doc was in blurring out computer screens and materials on desks, I seriously doubt that they'd brazenly position an unannounced forthcoming release so prominently over several episodes. I strongly suspect that the F35s were either products of the Quick Build design process or they were trolling the likes of us and their competitors.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Denford said:

There's an added advantage that both had the same engine,

While the Hellcat and Corsair both used the PW R-2800 engine, they did not use the same versions of the R-2800. For example, the Hellcat used a version with a downdraft carb vs the updraft carb on the Corsair. There were also differences in the magnetos and front gear case. You would want these differences to be catered for, especially in 1/24 so I’m not sure that having an existing R-2800 tooling available for the Hellcat would be a major factor in doing the Corsair or, say, the P-47, which used another different R-2800 version.

• Like 1