For your agenda - Monday 10th January - 4.PM - Airfix 2022 range launch

Homebee

4 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I hope you’re right, however we keep hearing that Airfix does not downscale previously issued 1/48 kits down to 1/72 scale. Let’s see what happens and if someone at Airfix is listening. 

Cheers.. Dave 

A blanket ban on downscaling just makes no business sense. If there's a demand for a 1/72 and 1/48 model, why only do the 1/48? Plenty of modellers like me who are unlikely to buy a 1/48 model but would certainly buy a 1/72 version. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

If not this year, and they have the research for the 1/48 kit, a new tool 1/72 Spitfire XIV with high back and bubble canopy versions is a near certainty. Furthermore, there isn’t a really good one that’s widely available.

I hope you're right, although I also hope, if they do both fuselage styles, they mold two separate fuselages and avoid the annoying insert solution that Fujimi attempted years ago.

John

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I hope you’re right, however we keep hearing that Airfix does not downscale previously issued 1/48 kits down to 1/72 scale. Let’s see what happens and if someone at Airfix is listening. 

Cheers.. Dave 

So far the Hornby version of Airfix has tooled and issued the following kits in 1/72 and 1/48

Blenheim I

Boulton-Paul Defiant

P-51D

Tiger Moth

Hawker Siddeley (Folland) Gnat

Spitfire Mk.I/II

Hurricane Mk.I

Messerschmitt Bf 109E

Ju 87B Stuka

Canberra B(I).8 and PR.9 (though I believe these were pre-Hornby toolings)

TSR.2

and then there was the Typhoon in 1/72 and 1/24

So they will issue the same subject in multiple scales. However, with all of these I believe the 1/72 kit came first.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Doccur said:

Just looked up and it is indeed at Paul Allen’s museum, although it has been restored to appear as a wartime Lancaster nose section: 

https://flyingheritage.org/Explore/The-Collection/Britian/Avro-Lancaster.aspx

Which I think is a real shame due to the uniqueness of the Nose Section as it was, but I am biased as I work at what was Napier Luton… 

Whilst I agree as an old Southend lad well acquainted with the unique Historic Aircraft Museum Lincoln G-APRJ, I can understand why the Paul Allen collection restored it as a Lancaster nose section. After all it's origin was as a Lancaster nose section from TW911 I suppose, and I guess more museum visitors are going to identify with a wartime Lanc nose than as it was in it's "Lancoln" Napier configuration. It really needed to be bolted on to the rest of G-APJR to retain the uniqueness that was G-APRJ.

Steve 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IT_Man said:

Airfix updated to a 2022 Cover Photo - decent hint?

https://www.facebook.com/65102591270/posts/10159568780786271/?app=fbl

Don’t think there is much given away here, just 3 Lancs ( unless they are doing a 1/48 Lanc)

just had an email from Airfix with the date for the Launch and includes following message:

with new introductions in all your favourite categories, our huge new offering is not one you will want to miss!’

So I take that to be an increase in new and vintage kits 🤭

18 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

If not this year, and they have the research for the 1/48 kit, a new tool 1/72 Spitfire XIV with high back and bubble canopy versions is a near certainty. Furthermore, there isn’t a really good one that’s widely available.

It will come, but not just yet.  They only issued the Vc last year, and there are lots of colours, variations and the like that can be 'produced' from it.

• Like 1

Maybe Airfix will issue a new tool 1/48 Tornado GR.1 and F.3, or better still, a new tool Buccaneer? Any of those likely at all?

Great news if there’s a new Victor due out, they’re silly prices on eBay yet again.

Unless I imagined it, I remember seeing on a BM post that Airfix visited the Fleet Air Arm museum sometime early in 2020. If I have remembered correctly, then I reckon that the result should be due to appear this year. Looking at the list of exhibits in the museum, it seems to me the two stand out candidates are the Avenger and the Corsair. Both of which would be replacements for the 50+ year old kits.

12 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Apart from aircraft, anyone have any thoughts on ‘other stuff’?

Trevor

Wonder if Airfix will Redbox any of the Academy 1/35 post war kits such as the Warrior?

would also like to see the Panzer III reboxed 

As for new items in 1/35, a new DUKW? 

A 1/350 or 1/600 QEC would be great 

• Like 1

I suspect a 1/24 or even 1/32 Corsair or Avenger would go over well. I'm inclined to think 1/24 would be the scale to pursue as they'd be rather exclusive if they follow that path. Yes, it's too big for most folks and the price will put off others, but there will nevertheless be those who will embrace such kits with open arms.

25 minutes ago, percival p. said:

Unless I imagined it, I remember seeing on a BM post that Airfix visited the Fleet Air Arm museum sometime early in 2020. If I have remembered correctly, then I reckon that the result should be due to appear this year. Looking at the list of exhibits in the museum, it seems to me the two stand out candidates are the Avenger and the Corsair. Both of which would be replacements for the 50+ year old kits.

Add to that a Seafire XVll, I'll guess in /48

• Like 1

Just now, SAT69 said:

I suspect a 1/24 or even 1/32 Corsair or Avenger would go over well. I'm inclined to think 1/24 would be the scale to pursue as they'd be rather exclusive if they follow that path. Yes, it's too big for most folks and the price will put off others, but there will nevertheless be those who will embrace such kits with open arms.

Don't forget there is already a 1/24 Hellcat, so if it sold well, a Corsair 'follow on' seems highly likely.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Denford said:

Don't forget there is already a 1/24 Hellcat, so if it sold well, a Corsair 'follow on' seems highly likely.

Or an F4F Wildcat. The Wildcat/Martlet certainly has more possible colour schemes than the Corsair.

I could see a Mosquito re issue with parts for (say) Tse-Tse. Has anyone who has the current release checked the lettering on the sprues to see if there is a ‘missing’ one?

But if f a new subject, I would venture something Japanese maybe? Zero, Tony or Frank  anyone?

Trevor

I enjoy pre-empting what this years batch of Vintage Classics will be. I reckon we'll see another car, especially if the 1/32 Jaguar 420 has sold well. Morris Marina or Maxi would be fun.

Aircraft wise, there seemed to be rumours of the Rotodyne. It would be nice if it's something that hasn't been available for a long time. Maybe the Beagle Basset or Cherokee Arrow would be welcome, but I suspect wingy things that go shooty-bang-bang will prevail.

SRN-1 would be nice too.

• Like 3