For your agenda - Monday 10th January - 4.PM - Airfix 2022 range launch

Homebee

4 hours ago, IT_Man said:

Also suspect there will be a Short Tucano, probably in 1/48 though 1/72 would be welcomed.

Think a Texan II would be more likely now that the Toucano has been retired by the RAF, and lots of markings options for the Texan.

• Like 1

I think that in 1/72 we will get a couple of surprises. I would expect  a varient of existing models such as a new H111 h20 or  Lancaster grand slam. 

I am ever hopeful of a 1/24 Me262, this is my personal Holy Grail. Although the Duxford launch meeting suggests a 1/24 Spitfire. 

I suspect that the carrier on the advent calender is a red herring but may lead to a Queen Lizzie/PoW in the next year or two if the interest is there. 

1/48 I expect a new trainer or possibly a F35 b/c. 

The Vintage classics range will be expanded. I suspect there will be some ships (eg Moskva, King George V) but there will be many more vehicles and figures released. In aircraft I am hoping the Cessna o-2 gets a new release. 

On 12/30/2021 at 2:51 PM, john224 said:

Two in Argentina and one in Australia, although the Australian one is in storage and probably not "scan-able". Airfix is based here, and they've scanned at Cosford before.

And made a mess of it, alas.  I think they have become just a little to reliant on LIDAR scans.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

And made a mess of it, alas.  I think they have become just a little to reliant on LIDAR scans.

Yes they definitely have. They seem to blindly reproduce the details on whatever example they scanned. The sabre has parts which shouldn't be there, the Mossie is a mess and the Vulcan is missing details that were removed from XM594 (which is the Vulcan they scanned). 

They need to use LiDAR as a tool to capture shapes very accurately, but should research every detail to understand what it is, if it's correct and if it was different on other examples. If they did this, the Vulcan would have the right number of windscreen wipers. It might be quite difficult to do this considering how many models Airfix make, but they have a whole community who would be more than happy to assist in making an accurate model where they can find experts on pretty much any given aircraft. 

47 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

You're probably right  but, they can clearly produce kits without the much (over?) hyped LIDAR scans.. There are after all, no surviving Whitleys or Dornier bombers for them to scan.

John

Apparently the Whitley's tail is slightly misshapen... the horror! Anyone who cares can probably correct it anyway. I really don't think the lack of surviving examples if sufficient other references exist should be a barrier to producing a high quality kit. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mps02 said:

I would expect  a varient of existing models such as a new H111 h20 or  Lancaster grand slam. 

Grand Slam Lancaster is a good shout.

In terms of other new variants/reissued variants I think we might see:

I really think we'll see a Black Buck Vulcan this year. It just makes sense given we know the kit is designed for it

We know the Victor is being reissued, but they've already got just about every variant possible out of that without retooling a significant proportion of the kit. It's unlikely, but I'd like to see an early Victor B.Mk.2.

I'd not be surprised to see a 1/72 trop variant Bf109E reissued and a reissue of the Spitfire Mk.i early/Mk.iia/Mk.Va in the same scale

Maybe a regular Spitfire Vc without the big tropical filter

• Like 2

I wish all the best to all the aftermarket companies who should clean up fairly well. Thank you for taking the time to alleviate the shortcomings. At least with models.

Rumor has it Airfix will release a 1/24 scale Bristol Botha. In a first pump to the fogies, who still want to super detail.Airfix will be producing thier first in a series of 1/32 second aircraft kits a Fairey Battle. In 1/48 now that Britian has come off its Brexit high, and break from tradition, a FW 190. Yes finally the one model there isn't enough of or aftermarket products for....oh no wait, ever so jealous of Dora Wings, The will be released an He 112....can it be? Get me the tank! Then of course the venerable 72nd scale and this may a first ever. a lidar of Adrian Moles face with a spitfire you can glue to his nose! Long live Brittania!

As for classic kits the Sunderland.

Well since footy has gone to ground these seem like all time consuming builds requiring much banter on Britmodeller, from how bad was the Fairy Battle? to rivet counters getting upset over the fact a blemish was missed on Adrian's juvenile face. 

Happy Holidays

It's not the over reliance on LIDAR that's the problem, it's not understanding what you're looking at and asking knowledgeable people the right (or any) questions.

I hope Airfix will continue with reproducing RAF Post War trainers, there's a couple of notable gaps, a Harvard IIB where you don't have to cut the rear fuselage to fit the longer canopy being one, a Hunter T.7 being another.

I also wonder whether they're going to get around to replacing some of their older subjects with more modern kits, P-47, Hellcat, Corsair to name just a few.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wez said:

It's not the over reliance on LIDAR that's the problem, it's not understanding what you're looking at and asking knowledgeable people the right (or any) questions.

Quite right

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Grand Slam Lancaster is a good shout.

In terms of other new variants/reissued variants I think we might see:

I really think we'll see a Black Buck Vulcan this year. It just makes sense given we know the kit is designed for it

We know the Victor is being reissued, but they've already got just about every variant possible out of that without retooling a significant proportion of the kit. It's unlikely, but I'd like to see an early Victor B.Mk.2.

I'd not be surprised to see a 1/72 trop variant Bf109E reissued and a reissue of the Spitfire Mk.i early/Mk.iia/Mk.Va in the same scale

Maybe a regular Spitfire Vc without the big tropical filter

There is still not an 1/72 scale Airfix Spit with Douglas Bader decals...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wez said:

Couldn’t agree more!

I think what we need to bear in mind is that the vast quantity of man hours that would go in to making the CAD solid models required to design these kits can be drastically reduced by the use of LIDAR and therefore can ensure that Airfix can bring us more of their (mostly) wonderful kits! 

In my humble opinion we are blessed with the exotic range of new tooled kits that Airfix provides us. Also, I feel like if we are all honest with ourselves as well, the vast majority of modellers won’t care, myself included I must admit, (Sorry Adam!) about the minute differences between a Vulcan at various points in its lifetime, or a slight shape/form issue. If it looks right, it probably is for most of us mere mortals!

Happy new year to all :)

Ash

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

You're probably right  but, they can clearly produce kits without the much (over?) hyped LIDAR scans.. There are after all, no surviving Whitleys or Dornier bombers for them to scan.

John

Agreed.  The Whitley looks very nice (mine's still in its box) and the Wellington (ditto) looks superb so it's not like Airfix can't make a kit without LIDAR scanning and, instead, do proper research.  I think that's what has got under my skin with the Mossie.  The mistakes are such howlers it's hard to imagine how they could have happened.  It's the one kit I wanted the most but they dropped the ball on this one and, to a lesser extent with the Vulcan and the Spitfire VC, when I know Airfix are better than that. 

Of course, at the end of the day, they are just model kits and 'nobody died' but I was very disappointed with the kit I had anticipated probably more than any other in recent years.

Anyway, onward and upward.  I can't really think of too many types they might be releasing this year but I'd imagine they will be non-British as they seem to have covered most British types from WW2, either with modern or classic moulds, and a considerable number of subjects from the Cold War era.  WW1 seems to have been a bit of a flash in the pan and I don't think between the wars types would be seen as particularly good earners.  Maybe a new P-47 or P-38?  In the 'proper' scale of course.  I still think a 1/24th Me262 would be a triumph for Airfix, even though it's not a kit I would buy. 

Airfix usually has one large kit among the releases.
I like the idea of a Me 262 in 1:24 suggested by others.  Airfix did the research for their 1:72 release and it is the right size for 1:24.

The rest are my musings for possible 1:72 releases

Airfix usually has a kit of a training aircraft among the releases

We could be lucky and get both the T-6 and the modern Texan II.

Airfix usually releases some new modifications of previous toolings

Avro Manchester from the Lancaster, Seafire from the Spitfire Mk Vc, BE2e/f from the BE2c

Airfix has released some Academy toolings with new decals - if it worked for AFVs, it should work for aircraft as well.

F-35A, F-35B and B-29 Washington - no reason to make their own tools from scratch when they are available and only need an extra sprue or two with British weapons and equipment.

Airfix usually has a new Spitfire kit among the releases.

This year they could surprise us with a late Seafire like Kennets Seafire XVII available for LIDARing at Biggleswade.

Airfix Classics

Skyvan and Piper Cherokee would be nice to have another production run - and no competition from newer kits.

Airfix usually releases some new British aircraft of late WW2 to 60ies.

Hawker Sea Fury, Fairey Fulmar and Firefly have been overlooked so far.  The Firefly can be released in multiple versions and markings, both British and foreign.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Doccur said:

Also, I feel like if we are all honest with ourselves as well, the vast majority of modellers won’t care, myself included I must admit, (Sorry Adam!) about the minute differences between a Vulcan at various points in its lifetime, or a slight shape/form issue. If it looks right, it probably is for most of us mere mortals!

Of course, not everyone cares about the same level of detail on Vulcans I do. I enjoy it, learning everything I can about them and spending far too much time trying to identify which surface particular airframes are in pictures based on such differences. But I think that's one thing and having the wrong number of windscreen wipers or prominent parts of the crew door and landing gear missing is another entirely.

It's entirely acceptable that Airfix didn't tell the modeller to sand off such and such a blister for each scheme, if you care for that kind of detail you can find it for yourself, and for me that's half the fun. But I would like to build an Airfix kit without questioning the less rivet-counter-ish details. 

Maybe I just need to build something without buying a book or reading up on every detail I can find every once in a while... 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LN-KEH said:

Airfix has released some Academy toolings with new decals - if it worked for AFVs, it should work for aircraft as well.

I thought that's exactly what they'd do with the Top Gun and Top Gun Maverick F-14 and F/A-18 releases. It just made sense. To me, anyway.

1 hour ago, LN-KEH said:

Airfix usually releases some new modifications of previous toolings

(...)BE2e/f from the BE2c

Would be nice, I was stunned they only released two WW1 kits during the centenary period. Depending on the sprue layout you may need a new tool for the e/f.

1 hour ago, LN-KEH said:

Airfix usually has a kit of a training aircraft among the releases

We could be lucky and get both the T-6 and the modern Texan II.

11 hours ago, john224 said:

Think a Texan II would be more likely now that the Toucano has been retired by the RAF, and lots of markings options for the Texan.

A 1/48 Harvard and a 1/72 Texan II would be fantastic.

I don't know why my earlier post in this respect was removed but I say again but express it a bit more cautious, a Hudson new 'Hockleed' series in 1/72 'will it be'

On 12/30/2021 at 9:23 PM, Admiral Puff said:

It's a bit more complicated than that with the Australian one. The nose section is from a GAF-built Lincoln (A73-27) that was burned on the fire dump at Mascot; it's now held by the museum at Narellan. The rest is at Moorabbin and held by the museum there; IIRC it's the remains of the one used at some stage by Handley-Page for laminar flow wing experiments. The first task is to get everything together in one place (and it looks as though that will take a long time yet!), the second is to get everything together as one airframe (a comparatively simple exercise compared to Task 1 ...).

G29-1 ex North Weald and Southend. My pictures from the 80’s

49770778511_935b4c15f1_c.jpg

49770290553_1c5e868d27_c.jpg

and finally the nose which I believe is now with Paul Allen

49770823636_3206367670_c.jpg

My understanding is that the carcas remains unrestored 

Trevor

14 hours ago, Trenton guy said:

A Hudson would be TERRIFIC !!!

I’d love one in 1/48 but 1/72 would do. The only on in captivity in Europe is at the RAFM and to be honest there are a LOT of things non standard about it, some of which I set out with my pictures in the walk-around section

Trevor

• Like 1

I would love to see an Airfix new tool Short Stirling in 1/72, would rather it be in my preferred scale of 1/48 but that's not going to happen ever I imagine :)

Built an Airfix 1/72 Stirling as a kid, many moons and decades ago, cant see it being worth finding an original with good decals now, and also I'm spoilt these days with new release toolings and not needing to sand raised panels and re-scribe, just dont have that kinda patience any-more I'm afraid ... its good to be good fitting parts for me now, arthritic hands do not like sanding.

Just something about the Stirling I like, looks and history wise.

As far as I know for one our main bombers of WW2, no real existing ones are left, really would like Airfix to do a new tool one.

Edited by One 48
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

G29-1 ex North Weald and Southend. My pictures from the 80’s

49770778511_935b4c15f1_c.jpg

49770290553_1c5e868d27_c.jpg

My understanding is that the car as remains unrestored 

Trevor

Thats a sad sight. I remember  seeing that  Lincoln  as a complete airframe at the now defunct museum at Southend  in the 70s

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

My understanding is that the car as remains unrestored 

Trevor

Just looked up and it is indeed at Paul Allen’s museum, although it has been restored to appear as a wartime Lancaster nose section: 

https://flyingheritage.org/Explore/The-Collection/Britian/Avro-Lancaster.aspx

Which I think is a real shame due to the uniqueness of the Nose Section as it was, but I am biased as I work at what was Napier Luton… 

(apologies to the mods as this is slightly off topic I know 😳)

Ash

If not this year, and they have the research for the 1/48 kit, a new tool 1/72 Spitfire XIV with high back and bubble canopy versions is a near certainty. Furthermore, there isn’t a really good one that’s widely available.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VMA131Marine said:

If not this year, and they have the research for the 1/48 kit, a new tool 1/72 Spitfire XIV with high back and bubble canopy versions is a near certainty. Furthermore, there isn’t a really good one that’s widely available.

I hope you’re right, however we keep hearing that Airfix does not downscale previously issued 1/48 kits down to 1/72 scale. Let’s see what happens and if someone at Airfix is listening. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1