For your agenda - Monday 10th January - 4.PM - Airfix 2022 range launch

Homebee

44 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Well, I've had another look and, I'm still convinced it's the Hellcat.

I've no doubt there is a market for such kits but possibly very limited if, for no other reason than cost.

I don't think size is really an issue with these kits though.

I'm building  the Airfix  1/24 Airfix Hurricane and , dimensionally, its about the same size as a 1/72 C-130.

I'd be more interested in a Vintage Classic 1/24 kit myself.  They're a bit more affordable 😊

John

I think it's a Hellcat to be honest.

Size is an odd thing, 1/48 Mossie is probably as large as I can go at the moment however it would take a divorce to enable me to buy the 1/24.................................divorce it is then !!!! 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, john224 said:

Having looked closely at the picture, it's definitely a Hellcat.

It is. Just a nice shot of the team and one of their most significant recent products. 

And Merry Christmas everyone. One more sleep, and it's all over...

• Like 2

OK, it probably is the 2018 Hellcat, perhaps it was a little wishful thinking plus a small amount of Christmas juice that aided my confusion! 
All is not lost, this thread has helped me work out my 2022 New Years resolution- booking in for that urgent Eye Sight Test!, 

Cheers and apologies for suggesting sillyness.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

On 12/24/2021 at 3:02 AM, trickydicky210 said:

p?i=a0cdd2180e95c4c8d91acc6745b45f8b

That’s the Ark Royal as the image, thanks to Dave Cov spotting it. 

From the title I think it’s an aircraft?

1/48 Buccaneer or Phantom? 

Interesting choice of words from Airfix and just my tence pence worth...

If going by the image alone, a 1/72 Wessex could be a contender given the Buccaneer box art and the lack of response from an Airfix designer during live interviews on YouTube...

The words however could indicate a fixed wing aircraft and likely catapult launched if the image is to go by..... so potentially a 1/72 Gannet. A 1/48 Buc is a contender, but would Airfix really release it and potentially take the shine of their 1/72 sales?

Edited by NavyWessex

Fixed wing catapult launched? I'd like a Scimitar, Attacker or Sea Hawk in 72nd please.  Preferably the Scimitar.

Really left field - it's a Manchester, as there were proposals to catapult it into the air.

I'd best get me coat...

Edited by The wooksta V2.0

I always enjoy the build up to an announcement with all the speculation and searching for clues so the wording is interesting, as is the choice of ship. If it is the Ark, then it hints more towards catapult types rather than, say the 4Oth anniversary Falklands Harrier (shame I’ve packed my ship photos away to double check). Has anyone pointed out yet that the date given for the reveal was 11 months ago?

edit:  just located ship photos and bow down to that which had already been said. 

2 hours ago, Phil Gollin said:

Both an Avro Manchester, or Avro Lincoln would be wonderful in 1/72nd, or 1/48th.

Not being readily available for scanning is, obviously, a problem.

Avro Lincoln RF398 is on display at RAF Museum Cosford.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Julien said:

Quite. Keep them out as well as the seemingly increasing numbers of off topic posts.

1 hour ago, Homebee said:

RUMOURS only, not your wishlists !

Can we have the chat thread unlocked for that discussion? With nowhere to discuss wishlists and stuff like that it's just going to end up here

• Like 5

On 12/28/2021 at 4:15 AM, Beermonster1958 said:

Gannet would be very nice, I agree. If we are going to go down the Naval route,  may I add a Wyvern, Sea Vixen (  FAW. 2/Faw.1) to the equation?

A 1/48 Gannet would be great. I love the Wyvern, but I really doubt Airfix could improve on the Trumpeter kits in 1/48 and 1/72. Those are some of the best aircraft kits Trumpeter has done to date. A scale down of the Sea Vixen to 1/72 would also be appreciated; we might finally get an accurate one.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Pretty sure there are preserved examples in Australia and Argentina as well.

Two in Argentina and one in Australia, although the Australian one is in storage and probably not "scan-able". Airfix is based here, and they've scanned at Cosford before.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, john224 said:

Two in Argentina and one in Australia, although the Australian one is in storage and probably not "scan-able". Airfix is based here, and they've scanned at Cosford before.

It's a bit more complicated than that with the Australian one. The nose section is from a GAF-built Lincoln (A73-27) that was burned on the fire dump at Mascot; it's now held by the museum at Narellan. The rest is at Moorabbin and held by the museum there; IIRC it's the remains of the one used at some stage by Handley-Page for laminar flow wing experiments. The first task is to get everything together in one place (and it looks as though that will take a long time yet!), the second is to get everything together as one airframe (a comparatively simple exercise compared to Task 1 ...).

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Phoenix44 said:

I'm betting on a 1/48 Typhoon...

They've done it in the other scales, seems to sell well and the Eduard Tempests sell well too (can't find a cheap one anywhere and the Vs have been reissued. 

Yes, this would be where my money would go (unfortunately not got any hints from my contacts in the trade!).

I'd predict a new variant of Lancaster (the pattern seems to be a new one every 2-3 years) or moving into the Lincoln

Also suspect there will be a Short Tucano, probably in 1/48 though 1/72 would be welcomed.